Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s all a bunch of crap that needs to be reported accurately. I remember the old days when early previews (before midnight) were not rolled into opening day numbers. WB tried to do it for Matrix Reloaded and the administrator of Box Office Mojo refused to go along with it. He posted the Wednesday preview number ($5 million) completely separate from the opening Thursday, even though WB wanted all of it rolled together. Similar deal for Pirates 3, which had 7 PM shows on Thursday evening and BOM reported the $13M preview number separate from Friday’s gross, even though Disney wanted it all lumped together. 

If you go way back in time, you can find Thursday previews reported separately on movies like Batman 89 and Jurassic Park. When the midnight massacre happened with TDKR, the entire industry decided it was a good time to start including Thursday shows as part of the Friday number. It’s a bunch of BS. 

I am curious just to to what extent of how messy these fake Friday is gonna be until studio start to establish a standardized practices in reporting preview and EA.  

2 hours ago, bastian said:

What franchise is that The DCEU ? Because DC is doing fine it just proved that with The Batman. Pretty sure Gunns Superman will do very fine too. 

DCEU, and any DC universe. Batman, Joker and Superman will be fine, because it's Batman, Joker and Superman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s all a bunch of crap that needs to be reported accurately. I remember the old days when early previews (before midnight) were not rolled into opening day numbers. WB tried to do it for Matrix Reloaded and the administrator of Box Office Mojo refused to go along with it. He posted the Wednesday preview number ($5 million) completely separate from the opening Thursday, even though WB wanted all of it rolled together. Similar deal for Pirates 3, which had 7 PM shows on Thursday evening and BOM reported the $13M preview number separate from Friday’s gross, even though Disney wanted it all lumped together. 

If you go way back in time, you can find Thursday previews reported separately on movies like Batman 89 and Jurassic Park. When the midnight massacre happened with TDKR, the entire industry decided it was a good time to start including Thursday shows as part of the Friday number. It’s a bunch of BS. 

Yeah I’m really sick of the Thursday numbers being counted in with Friday at this point. Especially when a lot of these movies now are having shows at 2 and 3pm.

• Like 6

well yeah previews are now a joke, nothing we didn't know. Basically the first weekends are now 4 days long sans the matinee showings. But i mean it's not like matinees on thursday would be, expect for very big big big movie events, so relevant in the day total, so basically it's like how a normal full thursday would be. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yeah I’m really sick of the Thursday numbers being counted in with Friday at this point. Especially when a lot of these movies now are having shows at 2 and 3pm.

The TDKR situation gave them an excuse to make a big change. "Never let a crisis go to waste." They want to squeeze as big of a number as possible out of the opening weekend headlines for publicity reasons, even if it's a dishonest number. And they're all guilty of playing games with this stuff on different movies. At the moment it's Sony pulling shenanigans, but Sony was also the one complaining when Disney had some dishonest reporting on Pirates 3's worldwide opening compared to Spidey 3. 

• Like 3

Studios will never ever allow previews to be counted separately since OD/OW records would probably not fall for years and years more of inflation in that case. And I’m not talking about the all time record, I’m talking about sub-records they love to get headlines with (biggest March opening, biggest MD weekend opening, biggest 5 day opening, biggest for the studio/franchise, etc etc etc). 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Mediocrity was celebrated between 2009-2019 with glowing reviews and boxoffice. 

No one, except a few like you, considers Iron Man, The Avengers, GOTG, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Civil War, GOTG2, Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame mediocre movies. You're not interested in or less interested in the current MCU, so you're bashing everything from the past as mediocre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Willowra said:

No one, except a few like you, considers Iron Man, The Avengers, GOTG, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Civil War, GOTG2, Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame mediocre movies. You're not interested in or less interested in the current MCU, so you're bashing everything from the past as mediocre.

Thank you for listing every MCU film!

• Haha 2