RyneOh1040

Taylor Swift || The Eras Tour Concert Film - October 13, 2023 | Comes to Disney+ w/ 5 bonus songs

It's interesting that Friday is so far just 'opening night', not a full day of shows. Will be a bit like Thursday previews but being Friday I'd guess relatively bigger, maybe more like a July thurs previews.

Being Oct theaters likely have somewhat more staffing issues with kids being in school and that might explain the weekend only scheduling. Or is it the swift team that specified weekends only?

A lot of curiosities here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

13 weeks theatrical run. WOW. It’s going to have legs for sure.

Pretty sure it’s just a 13 week buffer between OD and when they can go to streaming, not a 13 week run. I believe it’s been confirmed to be 4 weekends. 

from deadline

"The current opening weekend projection for Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour is at $70M — at least right now. Box office sources are figuring that presales rep 50% of the pic’s opening weekend. How’s that? Typically female skewing movies, i.e. Twilight, are front-loaded at the box office, and in the case of Swifties, they’re heading to this in packs.."

i don't agree with this. It's not a typical movie. If Swift has 3 times more fans could spend 20 dollars to see a concert (would say she has it) and you give the movie the space she can make 3 times this. 

a 50% estimation from just one day of pre sale and in just 3 chains (when there are gonna be more than that) seeems veeeeery conservative. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ Industry First Day Presales $37M+, Bigger Than ‘Force Awakens’

https://deadline.com/2023/09/taylor-swift-eras-tour-film-presales-box-office-projection-1235534031/

So this just — at worst — broke even on presales day 1. Nicely played, Taylor, nicely played.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

57% For Taylor Swift, 43% for AMC. Will be a massive return on the 20 million spent. 

43% stays with the theaters and 57% of the gross goes to the Swifts and AMC.

I read this as saying the theater playing the movie gets 43%, the 57% likely mostly goes to Swift but AMC gets part of that by playing distributor. So AMC overall will get more than 43%, but cinemark for example will only get 43% of the shows it has.

Her fans buy multiple copies of her albums simply because they are packaged in different colors. I expect repeat viewings will be a widespread norm, especially given that ticket prices are not much higher than an album.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys a ticket and thinks their screening won’t be a sing-along. They are in for a big surprise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

from deadline

"The current opening weekend projection for Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour is at $70M — at least right now. Box office sources are figuring that presales rep 50% of the pic’s opening weekend. How’s that? Typically female skewing movies, i.e. Twilight, are front-loaded at the box office, and in the case of Swifties, they’re heading to this in packs.."

i don't agree with this. It's not a typical movie. If Swift has 3 times more fans could spend 20 dollars to see a concert (would say she has it) and you give the movie the space she can make 3 times this. 

a 50% estimation from just one day of pre sale and in just 3 chains (when there are gonna be more than that) seeems veeeeery conservative. 

I hate this narrative that female driven movies specifically are frontloaded at the box office and always pointing at Twilight as the main example of this "trend", when it's just the nature of having a rabid fanbase. But for every Twilight movie, there's a Hunger Games or Barbie or Wonder Woman that are female driven and have relatively good (in the case of HG) or very good legs (in the case of WW and Barbie). And even then, these Twilight movies were 10-15 years ago, not exactly a great comp. 

Let's push the narrative that male driven movies are frontloaded because of movies like AMWQ, Flash, Shazam, etc. No, it's just the rapid fanbases that push the movies' multipliers in the high 1-low 2 range, not being female driven (Harry Potter, DC, MCU nowadays, Twilight, etc.).

I do think this movie will be relatively frontloaded, but that's on the basis of Taylor Swift's rapid fanbase, not because it is female driven. 

• Like 3