147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Amazing action sequences (reminded me a lot of Transformers 3 actually, but to New York instead of Chicago). I loved the Hulk in this, he's definitely my favorite Avenger and the 2008 Hulk movie was my favorite of all the separate Marvel movies. Loki was a very weak villain though so I felt that the danger and thread was reduced so the heroes' actions seemed less meaningful. Other than that it was a good movie.

B+

• Like 1

All the problems inherent with making an Avengers film are still there. There's just too much to do in one movie that many characters are regulated to having merely moments of good material- Thor is sided for a lot of the movie in favor of his brother Loki, and a lobotomized Hawkeye was not the way to introduce this character to the public, even if he turns back to normal by the third act. The heavy exposition in the first two acts really didn't need to be that heavy, either... really the only Whedon-esque elements of the script are the jokes and some individual conversations.

But at the end of the day it's still a great superhero movie. It felt a lot like Iron Man 1 to me- few comic book movies since have been this much fun- but Avengers is a more focused, impressive effort. Stark, Rogers, Widow and Banner all carried their own weight, and Loki made for a surprisingly satisfactory villain. And I can only speak positively of the third act, just terrific stuff.

Think of it as Transformers 3, except clever, thoughtful, and with a good sense of humor.

B+

I loved both post-credits scenes for entirely different reasons. Thanos will be a kick-ass villain for Avengers 2- he's really the next logical step after Loki. And shawarma, oh my goodness...

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Crazy day.AvengersFirst off the 3:30PM showing:95% full. Screen was not working.Battleship and GI Joe 2 and then it just went blank and then they reboot again with them and just hear the sound effects for Prometheus trailer.30 minutes later they say the show is cancelled.Luckily:4:30 PM95%+ full. (Most crowded I've seen a movie since....gee a few years actually)Trailers:Dark Knight Rises: Looks really good. Claps. (Okay by me :lol:)Lawless: Looks good actually.Prometheus (new trailer): Looks good I will admit, but I hated the binking the screen, got me REALLY sick.Amazing Spider-Man: Still unsure. Looks decent.Frankenweenie: What? This is in 3D? Looks somewhat funny but a bit depressing. (Dark Shadows which was not a trailer looks better)Brave: Looks fantstic. Tons of laughs.Movie: Wow. Amazing. Audience loved it. Biggest laughs were at Captain America's line about flying monkeys (audience laughed so hard you couldn't hear the next lines) and the part with the original Hulks cameo. The movie was quite well made. One part made a bunch of people in the audience upset, wont spoil it though. Acting was good, I really think Hiddelson should be nominated, he wont be but whatever. Captain and Hulk really stole the show. The mid credits scene got a great reaction, the end credits scene while pointless got laughs. The movie also had tons and tons of claps. Don't think I've seen a reaction like this in a while. Oh a Hawkeye movie! BRING IT ON!!!! I loved the lines in the movie, again I loved how Captain didn't get tons of refrences but got the one about the flying monkeys. Entire cast great.A+BTW-this is the most crowded I've seen a theater in a long time. Heck it was hard to find a spot, last time I've seen that for a non holiday time audience I think was for Alice.

I absolutely loved it. Takes the crown from Spider-Man 2 as my favorite superhero film.AI feel that this is on a whole other level from other superhero films. It's just awesome!

Edited by Cheesy Poofs
  • Like 2

Some notes for The Avengers (no spoilers):

+ pure popcorn entertainment throughout.

+ great humor.

+ every character has his/her moments to shine.

+ the Hulk is a f**king lunatic, and steals every scene he's in.

+ the final 30 min are epic.

+ pretty decent 3D for being a post-conversion.

- the villains are bland (Loki not included).

- unmemorable score (Imo you should have a rousing, instantly recognizable score or theme for movies like these. Just imagine Superman without the John Williams main theme).

- the final 30 min are a complete rip-off of Transformers 3. T3 did it first, and just as well, if not better.

Overall its great entertainment, and you have give credit to Joss Whedon for being able to pull all these disparate characters together and make it work.

Final grade: 8/10 Posted Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some points of reference: Iron Man - 7/10, Iron Man 2 - 6/10, Thor - 5/10, Captain America - 7/10.

Transformers 3 didn't do it better.Shia killing a Transformer...no lead up to that.Only thing about T3 which was good was that building crashing down whilst Shia and co. were inside, otherwise monotonous, loud and boring.Also, Crusader, don't think you're going to get stoned but whenever anyone bumps up a grade for something like T&A that's just stupid. Might as well have Naughty America be your favourite studio. Stick to your guns.

• Like 1

Don't like the film if you want, but leave other people out of it. Some of us just want to be entertained by a film and don't let the supposed flaws you point out affect our enjoyment of it. We're not taking a class in film criticism here.

What can I say? In my defense it's not a whole paragraph, just a phrase or two. I just wanted to express myself, and this was the place to do it. I would never dare to be so outspoken in regular threads. Finally, what I mentioned was the very reason I'm here on this site. I'm here because I want to understand what motivates the reaction I've seen on other sites. I'm finding this study absolutely fascinating.
  • Like 1

Movie was entertaining. I basically have the same complaints some of you have already highlighted.But the biggest one is Loki. I still don't understand the hype for the character and Hiddleston's interpretation. Maybe it's because this is a comic book adaptation and the humor plays a big part in the characterization, but Loki comes across more like a brat, he's more camp than evil. When i think of evil, first thing that comes to mind is Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List. Superb performance and a crime this actor doesn't have an oscar and booooring clooney has two!!! But again this is the nature of comic book movies. That's probably why Nolan's adaptation of batman is more appreciated. It's not campy and it will most likely stand the test of time better than thor, TA...etc. Curios to see how he handles bane.Oh and RDJ is not fun anymore. I hated him here. He's sooo annoying. My god, he's on jack Sparrow territory. Tone it down a little, man!!! I can't take it anymore. It made me appreciate CA/chris evans more. before TA i thought he was a little bland, but here he was a breath of fresh air. He and Hulk/MR made the movie.8/10

Edited by kyky
  • Like 1

Had to chime in on The Avengers as I just saw it last night. Wow-what a show. Great action, great comedic timing. I was surprised to see them balance the characters and storylines so smoothly. The introduction of each character was phenomenal. Iron Man was superb. I also loved how he had a moment of pure unselfishness where he fully expected to die. But the showstopper was undoubtedly the HULK. Great effects, humor, and had the best moments of the film. It's obvious what those scenes were and I hope this leads to more Hulk movies with Ruffalo as the lead. Anyway, one of the best superhero movies ever.

10/10 A

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it a 2nd time this weekend. Drug a friend out to see an 11:10pm show on the spur of the moment. Theater lost power... Right as Iron Man starts pushing the nuke upward. Didn't get power back, so they handed out passes and said sorry. Hardly their fault, and very glad that wasn't my first viewing (sucks for my friend), but I'm trying to think if there is a worse instant to have the movie cut out on you for good. At least we got to watch most of it and it scratched my itch to see it again, but still. Geez.

Saw it yesterday, and figured it would be best to wait a day before reviewing it.

While definitely entertaining and perhaps capturing the "superhero spirit" better than any other superhero film, this is still ultimately an incredibly safe film that is most comfortable in not taking any chances. The action is good, but damn, what's the obsession with the "epic finale in downtown with an alien race that all dies once you take out the mothership" thing? Not only did the plot feel like a re-hash, the action itself was far from amazing and really just reminded me of Transformers.

It's a decent summer popcorn flick, but I'm honestly a bit surprised by all the raving. It's a film that entertains and looks good on screen, but really has very little else to offer.

B

• Like 1

I'll start with the positives.

It's witty, the dialogue is sharp given proper weight, the interactions between The Avengers was very well written, and the performances are largely fantastic (particularly from Downey, Ruffalo, Hiddleston, and even Scarlett). Some of the action scenes are incredibly well choreographed, and Hulk was really enjoyable. Is it an entertaining film? Yes, for the most part. But it's probably the first record-breaker that's completely hollow. There was absolutely no emotional connection to any of the characters (aside from when RDJ sacrificed himself in the end and almost died), and I found myself to be utterly overwhelmed with the non-stop barrage of action. The fortress collapsing took a significant portion of the film, and I found myself getting bored pretty quickly. There weren't many moments to breathe once the action started. It was undeniably well-choreographed, but really overlong and excessive.

B-/B

Great movie. I really liked Iron Man/Tony Stark the most. And Black Widow. The whole 12 percent thing was hilarious. But what put the movie over the edge:

Loki shouts out something like, "Enough of this. I am above all of you! I am a God." And midsentence Hulk grabs him and Hulk Smashes him every which way. The auditorium burst with a laughter that I've never heard from any auditorium. I almost fell out of my chair; it is probably the best scene of the year.

Overall, B+

And I got rain check tickets to see two movies of my choice because the projectors broke before the movie and there was a big delay, so they said we could watch it and get refunded, but the refunds ended up being tickets to future movies of our choice. And I got two of them. So, great movie and free tickets!

The theater I was at was sold out for the 8:00 showing, good thing we bought our tickets 7 hours before and got to the movie 30 minutes early otherwise we would not have gotten good seats.The Avengers is probably thee is most entertaining summer blockbuster I have ever seen, although The Dark Knight was still a better written and more emotional experience, but the Avengers takes the cake for pure entertainment.So many scenes had the audiences laughing especially the "puny god" scene in which the entire theater burst out into laughter and the scene where RDJ qouted shakespeare to thor. I felt like the action was some of the best I've ever seen, and each character gets to do their own cool thing.I especially loved the scenes where Iron man fought thor and thor fought the Hulk, it was interesting to see who was strongest avenger.I only have a couple of minor complaints though, Loki never comes off as super menacing, I mean sure he's tricksy but he never really seems to be so super evil and despite being such a cool film, it does come off a bit hollow, theres really no emotional to any of the characters which I hope Whedon fixes in the next one.Overall it is now my second favorite super hero film beatin SM2 but not quite TDK.A

Edited by tommycruise
  • Like 2