147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Fun summer blockbuster movie, remember in the end it's just another comic book movie. At times it looked like a tv production with it's sets and the way the camera was placed.Good action actually and there were pretty funny parts but there were also very,very stupid scenes- most of them with Black Widow.

Also every Avenger beat the hell out of Loki, he was not menacing or powerful at all.

As part of the Avengers movies i'll place it third behind Thor (7) and Iron Man(7.5)

The Avengers - 6.5

It is a fun movie, better than most comic book movies but it's no way near the top of them (TDK and BB)

• Like 1

God, this was so much fun. The perfect super-hero collaboration. The movie's biggest strength is its star cast, especially Ruffalo as Hulk. He plays him with self depreciating humor which worked extremely well. The funniest part of the movie by far was when he delivered the coup de grace to Loki. Loki's expression immediately after was priceless. Speaking of Loki, I was surprised. I didn't expect much but he was fantastic. Very sinister with a single point agenda to rule the world. As always, Iron Man's humor, even in the tightest of spots had the whole audience in splits.

Overall, it was a superlative effort with the perfect mix of action and incredible special effects, as well as some imagination and an engaging script. This is what you call a true summer blockbuster.

A

Movie:

The movie starts off fast, has a somewhat slower middle part and ends with a bang. The action scenes and stunts are fabulous. It has an engaging score also.

RDJ, Chris Evans, SJ, Mark Ruffalo all deliver nicely.

B+

Watched it in IMAX for the second time. Yes, it's fun, Whedon did a great job. However I vehemently disagree with the 10/10 and masterpiece comments. The story is lame, it has no emotional attachment apart from moments with Agent Phil, the ending is average, Avengers is a spectacular eye-candy, a perfect summer blockbuster, but nothing more. Without bringing Batman to the topic, yes you can create a great film with having more than just amazing action scenes and explosions, X-Men: First Class is a great example. I'm not sold on the villain either. Yes, Loki was great, I enjoyed the character and I thought Hiddlestone did a fabulous job, but is he a badass villain? Far from it. He's beaten by every single avengers in the film and apart from the opening sequence he didn't live up to expectations I had for him. But as I said those things doesn't really matter, because the film is good, just not the masterpiece many people call it.

B+

Edited by The Dark Alfred

A brief review just having seen it:Pros:- Loki was even better than he was in Thor. Hiddleston has more fun than all the other actors combined, and it's contageous. I'm not sure whether Loki's actually a great character or if Hiddleston's just really fun playing him, but the end result is the same.- Hulk was very well realised. They left him as late as they could and paid off when he finally arrived. Less really is more with this guy.- The lack of sentimentality, and the right amount humour. Mercifully they didn't go overboard with the comedy, but Hulk punching out Thor near the end, or Loki's request for a drink ensured there was just the right amount of laughs.- The last half hour. Obviously.- Good hero interaction. It'd be an exaggeration to say there was much character development, but I liked seeing these guys disagree and, finally, get on. I found myself wishing they'd all gotten together sooner so there could have been more of it.Cons:- The first 40 minutes were curiously rubbish. It wasn't until the scene in Germany that I felt at all involved in what was going on.- Black Widow and Hawkeye were pointless. No reason for them to be around and I felt increasingly annoyed that they were.- Like Mission Impossible 4, it was too long for a film that was essentially relentless action.- Thor celearly got the short straw in terms of character focus, and I didn't entirely buy Cap's sudden commanding role at the end. It felt like they had to give him something to do because he was stuck on the ground fighting foot soldiers. Talk of the film being from his POV was clearly bullshit.Overall:That this film is not just coherent but actually good is kind of amazing. Credit to Marvel: they gambled and won. I'm sure many others will enjoy it a lot more than I did because my threshold for action isn't that high, and that's really all this film is, but it's a very solid way to kick off the summer. I'll watch its box office with great interest, although I'm not much more excited for future solo sequels than I was before seeing this.

• Like 1

Having watched it, it fit my idea of a popcorn film perfectly. Its fun, doesn't take itself seriously, and has a forgettable story.Basically your typical superhero film.The 3D was terrible as usual.C+

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

Does anyone know if there was a post credits scene? I heard they may have added one after the screening I saw a few weeks ago. I obviously saw that Thanos one, but was there one after the credits?

I haven't seen it yet, but I was thinking wouldn't this be a major plothole? In Thor it is shown that Asgard has huge armies, so if Thor was able to make it back to earth couldn't Odin just send down some of his army to reinforce against the Loki-alien ship threat and the entire problem could have been solved with ease.

I'd say a 7/10 so probably a B.Pretty disappointed after the "masterpiece" comments.The movie is fun, but fun can only last for so long, I really didn't care about any of the characters...the story didn't let me.Loki is one of the most dull villains imaginable & that alien army was even more dull...LOL @ The Phantom Menace style sudden deactivation after the massive base was destroyed. Still a fun movie though.

B.I am not a comic book person and I have come to accept the fact that no matter how much praise a comic book movie gets, i'll never get what other people do from it. As comic book movies go it was pretty much par the course for me.The things I liked the most:1. The little bitchfest The Avengers had with each other/the general snark towards each other. A+ especially to Iron Man laughing at the Shakespeare in the Park bit Thor and Loki had going. My eyes had been rolling at how silly that whole part was but then I burst out laughing when it was so aptly summed up.2. The Hulk!!! My MVP. I wasn't even expecting for him to be such a badass but the scene where he smashed Loki got the biggest applause of the movie. I'm pretty sure out of the corner of my eye I saw some people standing up to applaud.3. Captain America's face :ca::wub:.Things I could have done without:1. I found all the dialogue between Thor and Loki to be awful.2. Loki was too over the top for me, veering on the edge of being a caricature.3. Thor's hair looked like it needed a good deep conditioning and Loki's hair looked greasy at times .

• Like 1

Wait? There was another scene after the Thanos one? Wtf! Did I miss it?

Yes there was another scene, but it was at the end of the credits not during. It was in the US version. It was all of them in a Swarma restaurant. It was a continuation of the joke Iron Man made as he laid on the street and said they needed a day off. The place was still destroyed and they all were sitting at a round table eating. They didn't say a word. They looked really beat and tired and not sure about the food. It was funny.
  • Like 1

Why do people have such a problem with the "destroy mother ship, all satellite robotics die" trope? I mean, if they're remotely controlled and/or powered from there, it would make sense for them all to collapse after it's destroyed.

That being said, the film is fun, but just about on par with the best of the other Marvel films for me. I was impressed with how each hero got their fair share of screentime when it could've easily turned into an Iron Man 3 in less imaginative hands, and Whedon's touch shows up a lot in the dialogue and the way certain action sequences are staged. Both the opening scenes and the climactic battle went on a bit too long but there were some really awesome bits that made it forgivable. It's a summer blockbuster that doesn't disappoint.

A-

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Why do people have such a problem with the "destroy mother ship, all satellite robotics die" trope? I mean, if they're remotely controlled and/or powered from there, it would make sense for them all to collapse after it's destroyed.

That being said, the film is fun, but just about on par with the best of the other Marvel films for me. I was impressed with how each hero got their fair share of screentime when it could've easily turned into an Iron Man 3 in less imaginative hands, and Whedon's touch shows up a lot in the dialogue and the way certain action sequences are staged. Both the opening scenes and the climactic battle went on a bit too long but there were some really awesome bits that made it forgivable. It's a summer blockbuster that doesn't disappoint.

A-

Because it mentions that they are an alien race. That's the only problem I had with the movie.

People fault characterization, I thought we already had 5 movies to set that up, this was meant to be the action finale. Anyway, back to the mothership thing, a species doesn't die once their base is hit because they are living creatures, so I hadn't a clue why the aliens just dropped like flies. It's not Star Wars machines or the slew of other movies they had believable destroy the mothership kill them all plot lines.

If they're just machines all along it makes them completely laughable as a threat since it's so easy to take down. I think they should have been imprisoned/surrendered or killed.

• Like 1

I don't have time to write a proper review right now as I'm heading back out to see it again in about 10 minutes (I'm on 2.5 hours sleep), so I'll sum it up with this:Black Widow is maybe the best part of the movieHulk and Thor are pricelessHulk punches Thor after they help stop the bad guys...biggest laugh of the film"Why should we take orders from you?" Captain America then dispatches three bad guys and the cops do exactly as he saysPlaying Galaga.Hulk beating the shit out of LokiThis is the real deal. I love this film9/10

• Like 1