147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I've seen this film five times now and I think every time I have picked up something new. I think the humour in this makes it one of the funniest films of the year as well. And like everyone has mentioned, the Hulk/Thor dynamic in here is brilliant. But everyone has their moments. It's such a perfectly executed film. I can't remember the last time I saw a film 5 times in the theater.

• Like 1

Having seen Joss Whedon's work with TA has anyone gone and checked out Serenity for the first time?

I watched it after seeing TA, but it wasn't the first time. I actually really enjoy Serenity. As you watch it you can see why Marvel chose him for this movie. He knows how to balance out multiple characters so that they all get their chance to shine.

Yeah he could have made the story better however the way he got the characters going and the way he set up the action was amazing.

I remember when Whedon was announced for TA, many people thought the action would suck as Whedon could not do action...

Posted Image

Edited by Lordmandeep

I rewatched it. It flows so well the second time around that it's pretty much cemented as my favorite non-Nolan comic book movie. It's like Whedon wrote and illustrated a great comic book and put it on screen.

• Like 5

Yeah I think with the release of TDKR I doubt it will hurt TA in any way.Back in 2008, the TDK storm did not stop people from loving IM1.TA will easily remain one of the most crowd pleasing blockbusters in a long time.

Any technical shortcomings are certainly overshadowed by the great character writing and performances Joss got from his actors. I'll take that kind of balance any day.

Is it at all possible that he could get an oscar nod for best screen play?

Is it at all possible that he could get an oscar nod for best screen play?

I don't think so - the script was ok, many nice one-liners but also often cheesy. Sometimes the actors were given lines that contradicted their characters just to get some tension or laughs from a scene. It did work because of the superhero context - after all, for just about every superhero story conflicts have to be engineered out of thin air - but in a general literary context, the script is really not that good.

^ I agree. If I had issues with this movie they were script based - the first half hour is fairly lackluster, for instance. The action was so much fun it made me forget that ultimately I didn't care about the story. I hope that's not the case for the sequel, but for now it wasn't a problem.

Edited by Hatebox

I rewatched it. It flows so well the second time around that it's pretty much cemented as my favorite non-Nolan comic book movie. It's like Whedon wrote and illustrated a great comic book and put it on screen.

Agreed.