Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Wtf, Guys at 63%? So the movie with three female leads ended up being even more male heavy than standard mcu fare? That's quite a disaster. Also the fact that the best demo only gave the movie a 61% score seems pretty bad. I can't see this getting better than a B+ cinemascore.

Marvel/superhero die hard fans tend to be male so the ones that feel like they have to watch every Marvel film will tend to be male. Even then it’s not getting high viewership from anyone 

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Thread is now unlocked. Any attempts at trolling and baiting or fanwars will get warnings and thread bans. So play nice

Absolutely no spoilers, no matter how vague, even under spoiler tags. And this applies to spoilers of recent shows as well, namely Loki S2. 

Stop!! Hammer Time!!

3 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Looking back at the same day structure from 2017, it looks like Thursday was a bit inflated (Ragnarok jumped 14% that day from its opening week) and continued well into Friday, but the jump on Saturday was quite muted.

Still, with enough consistency targeting $6.5m previews, I think mid to high 40s is still possible?

Friday evenings will benefit from the holiday on Saturday but that will have the effect of negating a Saturday increase.

Also, at this time in 2017, people really needed the movies. 

Finally saw The Killer last night in cinemas and it was cool as shit. Fassbender was a beast. Best male actor under 50 outside of Joaquin? Maybe… 

also feels weird to see a movie about a man whose career is pretty much the entirety of his being since that’ll be me fairly soon. Holy fuck I miss college lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Wakanda Forever made 28m the same time last year. Captain Marvel made 21m 4 years ago. How do you go from those numbers to 6.5m. 

1, Burn off all your goodwill through 4 years of bad movies, terrible shows and cancellations/postponements of things people might have cared about. 

2. No plan or story arc leading up to the next big thing (CM sandwiched between IW and EG)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Wtf, Guys at 63%? So the movie with three female leads ended up being even more male heavy than standard mcu fare? That's quite a disaster. Also the fact that the best demo only gave the movie a 61% score seems pretty bad. I can't see this getting better than a B+ cinemascore.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, M37 said:

Fwiw, I don’t expect Marvels to have a high - if it all - female skewing demo. The ticket sales thusfar are PLF and Thursday heavy, both of which tend to be male-skewing audiences

Satisfying Rose Mciver GIF by CBS

• Haha 3

With those postrak scores it looks like MCU is a millennial franchise now, and they are slowly aging out to become the new old people that don’t go to theaters anymore demographic.

Video Game movies are going to be driven by Gen Z, and drive the theaters going forward.

Also probably doesn’t help to set up all your heroes to be replaced by females for the male skewing franchise.

(Kate, Shuri, Love, Iron Heart, Cassie, etc).

And have zero easy identifiable overarching story for the last 4.5 years in your shared universe.

Edited by Valencia
  • Like 10

Just a trainwreck. I had November being one of the lowest grossing November's in the past 25 years but no way did I think Veteran's Day weekend wouldn't even gross 100m....hell its going to around 80m. woof...that's with a sequel to an MCU movie that did 400m domestic. 

3 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Video Game movies are going to be driven by Gen Z, and drive the theaters going forward.

100%

Studios need to find new IPs that appeal to Gen Z and Gen Alpha because I hear not a lot of hype from those people about comic book franchises. (Exceptions are Spider-Man and Batman)