Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 hour ago, G Doss said:

This, except I think Wonder Woman and Batgirl can be successful as long as you follow one rule. Fantasy, sci-fi, and superheroes are men's hobbies. When you deliberately alienate them, there is nobody left to buy those products. Men tend to be more conservative, especially the demographics who play table top games or can afford $5 comic books. You have a little leeway with movies because you have a more general audience. But you don't have anywhere near the leash that Hollywood studios have tried to take.

Moderation

No.

And now let us all move on from such sexist nonsense. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

I'm very confused at the "kids don't care about theaters" stuff when the evidence shows that the olds don't care. Plus the MPAA showed in their 2021 moviegoing survey that kids are still paying tickets, overindexing the usual population.

https://www.motionpictures.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/MPA-2021-THEME-Report-FINAL.pdf

2-11: 13% population, 16% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

12-17: 8% population, 12% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

18-24: 9% population, 14% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

No 2022 survey for some reason, but there's no reason to think things skewed that much. Like it seems to me the kids still care about theaters.

2020/2021 would be worthless to study, except to see how many ticket sales overall you lost from each group vs 2019, b/c 2021 was such a down year from Covid.

If you want to continue the study, you don't look at percents when they ever come out with numbers for 2022 or 2023 - you see how many tickets groups bought by age vs what they did in 2019, and what changed.

Percents don't mean much - it's overall figures that matter, particularly in a contracting market since 2019, which it has been.  I mean, if kids matched their percents in 2021 vs 2019 (14% of revenue each level) - you sold a whole lot fewer kid tickets to a whole lot fewer kids b/c the market contracted 61%.

Year    Total Gross    %± LY
2022    $7,369,357,270    +64.4%
2021    $4,482,808,453    +112.1%
2020    $2,113,846,800    -81.4%
2019    $11,363,360,889    -4.4%

Edit: And Mojo has different numbers than these, of course, no one can seem to match - but the point stands...and we won't talk Math on the board except in general:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

So, after opening a superhero film to 1% of the American population, the take on this board is there is nothing wrong?

Men are the majority consumers of the genre. It's okay to admit that. Older, upper class men tend to watch a PGA Tour events. If golf crapped on its viewers and expected Swifties to pick up the slack, what would happen to its ratings?

Men liked the first Wonder Woman film and it did well. Captain Marvel alienated them. It isn't doing good. You can't tell men to ignore your film in those genres and be successful. 

• Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, G Doss said:

So, after opening a superhero film to 1% of the American population, the take on this board is there is nothing wrong?

Men are the majority consumers of the genre. It's okay to admit that. Older, upper class men tend to watch a PGA Tour events. If golf crapped on its viewers and expected Swifties to pick up the slack, what would happen to its ratings?

Men liked the first Wonder Woman film and it did well. Captain Marvel alienated them. It isn't doing good. You can't tell men to ignore your film in those genres and be successful. 

Well if men feel alienated because the star of a kids movie has an XX chromosome, then that's their stupid fault and shows how gross and sexist and pathetic they are.

And because you didn't listen to my warnings, you have been threadbanned from the weekend thread.

And as an aside to everybody else, we're done with this whole "women hate superheroes, women shouldn't be in comic book movies, won't somebody think of the poor men". These comments are gross, sexist, and unwelcome here. If you have a problem with me doing this, talk to me privately. And if you don't like that the staff is holding posts like these accountable, note, as I always say, we're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Marvel movies. No sense hanging out in a place you hate.

• Like 2

Question: What happens when even one of the best directors goes to Netflix? I'm talking about Fincher, whose latest movie The Killer is so dull, so weak and ultimately pointless. Are they not putting in the same effort when directing for Netflix compared to theaters? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Eric Danvers said:

I'm very confused at the "kids don't care about theaters" stuff when the evidence shows that the olds don't care. Plus the MPAA showed in their 2021 moviegoing survey that kids are still paying tickets, overindexing the usual population.

https://www.motionpictures.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/MPA-2021-THEME-Report-FINAL.pdf

2-11: 13% population, 16% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

12-17: 8% population, 12% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

18-24: 9% population, 14% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

It is about trend, the elderly fear public space 2020-2021 stat will mass it out a bit.

per capita yearly attendance

12-17

2009: 7.9

2012: 6.2

2019: 4.9

2021: 2.5* covid, we will not know before 2023 stats maybe 2024 how it settle down

18-24

2009: 8.4

2012: 7.8

2019: 4.7

2021: 2.0* covid, we will not know before 2023 stats maybe 2024 how it settle down

But 18-24 per capita being the same has the 25-39 in 2021 is a faster decline than the worst projection I think if it hold up, not so long ago the 18-24 almost doubled the 25-39 per capita.

2-11.: 14% population, 14% moviegoers, 11% tickets sold

12-17:  8% population, 11% moviegoers, 12% tickets sold

18-24: 10% population, 13% moviegoers, 19% tickets sold

2019:

2-11.: 13% population, 13% moviegoers, 10% tickets sold

12-17:  8% population,  9% moviegoers, 12% tickets sold

18-24:  9% population, 11% moviegoers, 13% tickets sold

In a short time it went from 32% of the ticket to 25%, the 60%+ 12% to 15% of tickets because while the older group yearly ticket purchase declined a bit, the youth it cut by 40-45% pre-pandemic, I imagine worse now.

Driving and dating went down fast in the mids 201x among the youth.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

It would be a rare live event thing that did not move at all in the last 50 years (at least in the US):

rj62onzjso8b1.png

Cheaper than in 1971 according to the MPAA (the conversation like many could be driven by NY-Los angeles ticket price), would we compare to music or sport live ticket pricing....

The problem with this data is that it’s the average list price for a ticket, not the average price paid. We’ve seen both the bigger metros make up a larger share of the audience, plus PLF audience and their premium prices growing significantly

The average ticket for most big/PLF releases is somewhere around $13, and those locations charging way below that mark and significantly lowering the average do so because they’re struggling to draw even at a lower price point (except for the big even films like Barbie, Mario, etc)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

The problem with this data is that it’s the average list price for a ticket, not the average price paid. 

Not that it would be a big surprise, but that could make the annual tickets estimate sold on the-numbers.com quite off the mark (which use BO/average ticket price)

But:

The ticket-price increase represents the biggest three-year jump in many years (2019 was eight percent higher than 2016). Factors include the general rate of inflation and a higher percentage of premium tickets sold, as well as fewer children-oriented hits.

This make it sound they try to make an average of ticket solds and NATO member would know the exact value if they wanted we can imagine.

Lot of ticket are bought with child price, elderly rebate, rebate tuesday, theater chain points reward system and in place with the regular full price are still under $8.50:

https://www.cinemark.com/TicketSeatMap/?TheaterId=371&ShowtimeId=449062&CinemarkMovieId=94792&Showtime=2023-11-12T18:30:00

Edited by Barnack

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I mean I’ve been telling everyone I know to watch Ms Marvel, that character deserves better. But I don’t think it’s wrong either to drag a movie to an extent that just doesn’t feel like a lot of effort went into it. Do better Hollywood

Though probably not what he’s referring to anyways…. you kinda gotta ignore the toxic social trolls, they’re not gonna go away

Edited by MovieMan89

36 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Question: What happens when even one of the best directors goes to Netflix? I'm talking about Fincher, whose latest movie The Killer is so dull, so weak and ultimately pointless. Are they not putting in the same effort when directing for Netflix compared to theaters? 

interesting theory. my interpretation is that you are wrong and The Killer is the bees knees and Fincher's best since Social Network.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

interesting theory. my interpretation is that you are wrong and The Killer is the bees knees and Fincher's best since Social Network.

Hoping to convince my parents to have that be our Christmas movie. Don’t know if it will work tho

4 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

Hoping to convince my parents to have that be our Christmas movie. Don’t know if it will work tho

IDK it's christmas watch something nice. I watched The Last Duel on christmas with my folks a couple years ago. a good movie but somehow feel like that was a mistake.

50 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The movie is fantastic though.

• Like 1