cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I know everyone is expecting wonka to be WOM sensation and leg out but 87% on RT for a family movie seem weak no?

I’m just going by the WOM out of Europe and out of a couple of my friends who have seen it over here and loved it.

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I know everyone is expecting wonka to be WOM sensation and leg out but 87% on RT for a family movie seem weak no?

It's 88% now with over 100 reviews...but that is low.  Especially with Timmy fans likely responding well and in large numbers for opening night. 

We'll see if it builds over the weekend.

Edit to Add:  For comparison for 2023 non-supers family movies that did well - Mario was 95, Little Mermaid was 94, Elemental was 93, FNAF was 87, Barbie was 83.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If that’s only based on those who saw it last night so far, do we think it was really the target audience? My guess was more likely Dahl/Willy Wonka fanatics who maybe didn’t jibe with this musical prequel, but I could be wrong. I’m interested to see what the Cinema Score ends up being.

Wonka is 83% certified fresh with critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Early audience exits on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak are solid at 84% positive and 63% definite recommend with 5 stars from parents and kids under 12. Last night’s audience leaned 52% men, 48% women with 33% guys over 25, 30% women over 25, 22% women under 25, and 16% men under 25.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I do wonder if initial WOM is getting dinged by false advertising a bit? I kind of sort of get why they didn't really advertise or make it blatant that it was a musical. The Wilder movie is known and loved for its iconic music, so WB thought audiences probably expected it to be one. But I can see people being confused as to why folks are singing when the movie didn't promise any singing at all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

I do wonder if initial WOM is getting dinged by false advertising a bit? I kind of sort of get why they didn't really advertise or make it blatant that it was a musical. The Wilder movie is known and loved for its iconic music, so WB thought audiences probably expected it to be one. But I can see people being confused as to why folks are singing when the movie didn't promise any singing at all.

I watched a Hindi movie on Netflix (an adaptation of Archie comics) and that was a musical..I don't mean Bollywood style musical with like 4-6 songs in the movie with a song every once in a while, it was a full fledged musical with a song every 5 minutes. They completely hid it in the marketing and has definitely affected the reviews and audience response for it as well. 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I watched a Hindi movie on Netflix (an adaptation of Archie comics) and that was a musical..I don't mean Bollywood style musical with like 4-6 songs in the movie with a song every once in a while, it was a full fledged musical with a song every 5 minutes. They completely hid it in the marketing and has definitely affected the reviews and audience response for it as well. 

Matt Singer brought up this weird trend a few weeks ago. How musicals are now super coy in their advertising and don't show the characters singing. Which is just baffling to me. Some recent musicals bombed, but La La Land and Greatest Showman weren't that long ago. There's an audience for this stuff, but now you're hurting stuff like the new Mean Girls movie, which from the online trailer just looks like a cheap direct-to-video remake of the original movie with nothing else added to it.

https://screencrush.com/musical-trailers-hiding-the-music/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

I'd be thrilled to go into a movie and finding out it had songs.

Yeah, I guess i know too much about movies i see beforehand that I've never been surprised like that but I know I'd like it. If i saw Aquaman 2 next week and it was a musical, i think that'd be nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember going to see the animated movie Smallfoot on a whim, because I was bored and there was nothing else out at the time. That also didn't reveal any of their songs in the trailers, so I had no clue I was stepping into a musical. When the big yeti began doing a showtune, I almost audibly said "what the fuck" before realizing there was a family in front of me.

Wish I could say it was a pleasant surprise, but the songs in that movie stunk!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

I remember going to see the animated movie Smallfoot on a whim, because I was bored and there was nothing else out at the time. That also didn't reveal any of their songs in the trailers, so I had no clue I was stepping into a musical. When the big yeti began doing a showtune, I almost audibly said "what the fuck" before realizing there was a family in front of me.

Wish I could say it was a pleasant surprise, but the songs in that movie stunk!

Smallfoot is a musical?!

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Matt Singer brought up this weird trend a few weeks ago. How musicals are now super coy in their advertising and don't show the characters singing. Which is just baffling to me. Some recent musicals bombed, but La La Land and Greatest Showman weren't that long ago. There's an audience for this stuff, but now you're hurting stuff like the new Mean Girls movie, which from the online trailer just looks like a cheap direct-to-video remake of the original movie with nothing else added to it.

Musicals have beeen consistently underperforming or outright bombing these past few years, especially after C-Day, so I don't blame Hollywood for being wary here. Hopefully Wonka overcomes its initial surprise musical hurdles and does as well in America as it has been doing overseas so far. It's a great movie and it deserves money.

23 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

The real question to me is, why the fuck are they even greenlighting musicals at that point? If they think audiences hate them would it not be easier to just, uh...greenlight something else? Boggles my mind.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised by the idea people would go into this movie not expecting a musical. It's Willy Wonka, plus there were a couple of shots in the trailers that hinted at it being a musical, but I guess they were blink and you'll miss it type shots.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It is garbage just like Hollywood musicals. Worst genre invented by Hollywood/western folks. Bollywood does song and dance eons better than stupid Hollywood. They should stick to giant movies with tons of CGI.

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Smallfoot is a musical?!

James Corden performs a rendition of Under Pressure in the movie. Not Ice Ice Baby, which makes more sense with the snowy mountain setting. But Under Pressure. I think about that bizarre creative decision every other month.

• Haha 1