Eric Prime

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

33 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Since we are talking about toys, is it safe to assume that Aquaman would also sell toys? Though I guess any of the benefits from the franchise would have been sowed after the first movie. I remember Aquaman used to be this uncool character in popular culture. Especially in The Big Bang Theory lol. But after Jason Mamoa's Aquaman, this superhero became cool.

Yeah but DC's huge merch sellers are Batman, Joker, Superman, and Wonder Woman. A tier below that you've got Aquaman, Harley, and Flash. 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:04 AM, Maggie said:

Honestly, this spring and summer look really lame. Too many sequels to not that exciting movies. Godzilla vs Kong, Planet of the Apes look like surefire flops. 

Fall looks better.

Dune, GxK, Kung Fu Panda, IF, Arthur the King, Apes, Ghostbusters, Fall Guy, Deadpool 3, Quiet Place Day One, Despicable me 4, Abigail, Alien, Inside Out 2, Garfield, Furiosa.......... They're not all gonna be box office giants ofc but that seems like a pretty varied and solid slate of movies.

And I don't know why you think Apes will flop, it's a well loved reboot of a world famous franchise that has yet to fail with a trailer that was very well received.  

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My hot take is that people on here are going to be disappointed by Dune 2's numbers and pleasantly surprised by Panda/Ghostbusters/GVK/Arthur The Kang.

If people were not getting a little crazy in their expectations that would be better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

My hot take is that people on here are going to be disappointed by Dune 2's numbers and pleasantly surprised by Panda/Ghostbusters/GVK/Arthur The Kang.

What are you thinking numbers-wise? Dune should be solid (if we’re not talking about a billion or anything).

26 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

What are you thinking numbers-wise? Dune should be solid (if we’re not talking about a billion or anything).

Somewhere like 70/190 or 200 domestic. Panda 55/185, Ghostbusters 45/120, GVK 60/150, Arthur The King like a weird 15/60 run, and Imaginary maybe high teens opening.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

tbh feel like the tracking thread is giving pretty realistic Dune numbers. No one should be disappointed with a 55-60M opening if that's what ultimately happens

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Somewhere like 70/190 or 200 domestic. Panda 55/185, Ghostbusters 45/120, GVK 60/150, Arthur The King like a weird 15/60 run, and Imaginary maybe high teens opening.

That would be a pretty dam good month all things considered. 

19 minutes ago, dallas said:

This may be a bold prediction but I can see Dune 2 landing at 80/200/600. Presales are strong and WOM is absolutely stellar so far. 

"Most unsurprising run of the year" record taken right there, last time it was probably John Wick 4 (if 80/200/600 happens it can still change)

Edited by HummingLemon496

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

tbh feel like the tracking thread is giving pretty realistic Dune numbers. No one should be disappointed with a 55-60M opening if that's what ultimately happens

I mean there's still a fair amount of people expecting 100M+ OW for Dune pretty much entirely on the back of the popcorn bucket (and because people are ignoring the data and just want a 100M opening to happen somehow). That kind of opening for Dune would definitely lead to bad meltdowns.

I guess for the rest of March, if there's any hot take that I'm confident in, it's that Ghostbusters is probably going to hit sub-100. That's a rough combo of big competition, being a follow-up to a movie that most people thought was just fine, and its main demo being the audience that has largely abandoned moviegoing. Can't imagine it reaching the century when the last two movies only got to about 125 each and both had more going for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

I mean there's still a fair amount of people expecting 100M+ OW for Dune pretty much entirely on the back of the popcorn bucket (and because people are ignoring the data and just want a 100M opening to happen somehow). That kind of opening for Dune would definitely lead to bad meltdowns.

But Empire City said $100M+ was locked

So therefore $100M+ is gonna happen

/s

28 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

I guess for the rest of March, if there's any hot take that I'm confident in, it's that Ghostbusters is probably going to hit sub-100. That's a rough combo of big competition, being a follow-up to a movie that most people thought was just fine, and its main demo being the audience that has largely abandoned moviegoing. Can't imagine it reaching the century when the last two movies only got to about 125 each and both had more going for them.

Let's go sub 75m, dream bigger Eric! 

3 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

I don't think current data rules out 100 fwiw, it's more the expectations being on a soft finish (probably rightfully but you never know)

70s is good enough as far as I'm concerned, anything over that is the cherry on top

12 hours ago, eeetooki said:

Since we are talking about toys, is it safe to assume that Aquaman would also sell toys? Though I guess any of the benefits from the franchise would have been sowed after the first movie. I remember Aquaman used to be this uncool character in popular culture. Especially in The Big Bang Theory lol. But after Jason Mamoa's Aquaman, this superhero became cool.

I have a family member that works in the toy industry, and has dealt with DCs line of toys, and he says that whole line has been a headache. The constant release delays creates havoc for inventory management, and the lack of success in the films has lead to poor sales. The pivot has been to focus on toys not directly linked to the movies and just more the traditional character portrayals.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

"Most unsurprising run of the year" record taken right there, last time it was probably John Wick 4 (if 80/200/600 happens it can still change)

Technically, $80M OW would be "surprising" b/c tracking has it from $50-$75M OW...and $200M would be "surprising" b/c tracking has it from $125-$195M...

Then again, I think Dune 2 will be surprising...