filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

It's pretty obvious the Pixar re-releases only happened because of the dry spell that was the Q1 schedule following some delays. The box office is literally in a coma right now. Disney clearly never had any intention to promote them.

This has shaped up to be a pretty terrible first two months of the year, but lack of appealing product to begin with won't help matters. We'll see if the four major sequels in March can turn things around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah just saw that. Disappointing, and I was wrong.

In the grand scheme of things you are probably one of the biggest Turning Red fan that exists. Did you go watch it? Because if even you didn't...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Historically, horror comedy hybrids have always been a tricky genre unless they are unmistakably comedies first and foremost (see: Ghostbusters, Scary Movie, Zombieland). Even cult favorites today like American Psycho and Shaun of the Dead and (for a direct comparison to this movie) Jennifer's Body had to wait until they were out of theaters to truly find an audience.

I think that's more of a coincidence than anything, and or up to the quality, which most horror comedies tend to be lacking in. Shaun of the Dead's gross back in 2004 was considered respectable given that it was a smaller budgeted British film that was in less than 1,000 theaters. 

45 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

There’s no way Lisa Frankenstein did $700000 on Thursday previews and then did just 1 million on true Friday 

It probably rolled in its $5 mystery movie Monday showings to Thursday, too.

• Like 3

Just looking at what other than Dune 2 has a chance to do 150m+ DOM up until Inside Out 2 comes out. Godzilla v Kong NE has a shot possibly. Personally I would love for Apes and Furiosa to both break out and do it but know that Critical Reception/WOM will need to be great for both to even get the GA to care about either though.  The Fall Guy has a very strong chance if the buzz is true and the reviews coming out of South by Southwest are strong but if it is another Dial of Destiny misjudge then it will be be toast by May 3rd. Long story short a lot of movies coming out that need all the breaks to go their way because the audiences are not forgiving at all anymore. 

37 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

In the grand scheme of things you are probably one of the biggest Turning Red fan that exists. Did you go watch it? Because if even you didn't...

uh yeah I watched it two times in theaters yesterday lol. I was the only one there for the first one but there were two others for the second one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

And there are approximately only two diehards per showing it seems lol 

55 minutes ago, cannastop said:

uh yeah I watched it two times in theaters yesterday lol. I was the only one there for the first one but there were two others for the second one.

Checks out

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Deadpool 2 Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Sunday cannot come soon enough. This weekend is otherwise drier than the deserts of Arrakis.

Minion Reaction GIF by MOODMAN