Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

It's basically now been proven that one of the few reliable routes left to a good gross is to make a PLF friendly movie. In retrospect moving from the original release slot made sense because it gets to keep PLFs longer this way.

Turds like Marvels can't really be saved by PLF though.

• Like 1

Just now, MightyDargon said:

It's basically now been proven that one of the few reliable routes left to a good gross is to make a PLF friendly movie. In retrospect moving from the original release slot made sense because it gets to keep PLFs longer this way.

Turds like Marvels can't really be saved by PLF though.

I’m pretty sure IMAX said Dune 2 was originally gonna get IMAX for 5-6 weeks in it’s original date, and if it moved then they would give it to Marvels

• Like 2

Most amazing thing is that the movie that got destroyed by discourse around religious warfare and colonialism wasn't Dune but.....the seventh Scream movie?

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The pure Thursday preview number is 10m then, isn’t it better than what tracking generally suggest yesterday?

Probably they underestimated the ATP.

Previews in my country got a 9.60 price average (when here a movie usually has a 7.50-8 ATP in the first days).

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I’m pretty sure IMAX said Dune 2 was originally gonna get IMAX for 5-6 weeks in it’s original date, and if it moved then they would give it to Marvels

I never bought that tbh. Or at the very least, Dune would share with Marvels/Hunger Games. No way IMAX would ditch those other contracts, especially Disney’s.

• Like 1

Based on the B&T thread I'd guess the true Thursday number is slightly under 10m and they rounded up. I'm feeling like it'll end up high 70s total through Sunday, 77-80m.  Quite good.

• Like 2

Funny how after all the doom and gloom handwringing it ended up in the expected 10m Thursday range anyways. Probably some Puerto Rico cash included in the number.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Most amazing thing is that the movie that got destroyed by discourse around religious warfare and colonialism wasn't Dune but.....the seventh Scream movie?

Really going into Rule 0 territory there but it was the people in the production studio that chose to do what they did to Barrera, not "the discourse".

• Like 2

Unrelated to Dune, but now that I'm working now and no longer in school, I have more time on my hands in my non-work hours, and have been trying to catch up on (good) movies from the 80s-90s-00s that I've never seen (so if any of you have recommendations, send them my way!)

Watched Apollo 13 last week. Pretty good movie, well-directed and well-acted, even if I didn't connect with it on an emotional level. 4 stars.

Watched Edward Scissorhands last night. UM... WHY HAS NO ONE FORCED ME TO WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE NOW??? Big Fish is my favourite movie of all time, so I'm all for sentimental Burton. It's still my #2 Burton (nothing will ever top Ewan McGregor in a field of daffodils) but it's really strong, and the last 30 minutes really, really works. Also, Danny Elfman....?!?!?!?! Ice Dance has got to be one of my favourite pieces of music ever written for a film. 

I want this Burton back. Hopefully Beetlejuice 2 is good and has some of his flair from his earlier works. But I really hope he makes something original next. A high-concept fantasy/fairy-tale. 

• Like 5