ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

Why on earth would Transformers get reduced from 3970 theatres to just 3106?? The highest any September movie in the top 50 opening weekends has been reduced by was 650.

Even movies that we’re doing worse like Ninjago were only reduced by 400. Reducing it by 864 is fucking nuts 

Edited by CheeseWizard

2 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Why on earth would Transformers get reduced from 3970 theatres to just 3106?? The highest any September movie in the top 50 opening weekends has been reduced by was 650.

Even movies that we’re doing worse like Ninjago were only reduced by 400. Reducing it by 864 is fucking nuts 

Maybe Joker 2 will bomb so badly it'll get 'em back? Just hoping.

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Nah, he ain't gettin' 60 mil again.

He will, it's not a large or even big budget, 60 mil today is not even 60 mil 10 years ago, budgets are naturally bigger now because of inflation and rise of production costs.

Edited by Firepower

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

He will, it's not a large or even big budget, 60 mil today is not even 60 mil 10 years ago, budgets are naturally bigger now because of inflation and rise of production costs.

60 mil is waaayy too much to trust the guy with. Even M. Night mainly does lower budget things than that in his post Airbender, post After Earth career. Dude's getting busted down to really cheap indie horror/comedy after this.

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why do you have such a hard on for this guy getting blacklisted? It's pretty weird. 

Why do you have a hard on for him ESCAPING the blacklist? Considering Verbinski is totally fucked over and M. Night doesn't get high budget gigs over comparably bad movies I think it's justified.

And even Verbinski didn't blow 190 mil on a fucking courtroom drama!

Edited by MightyDargon
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

60 mil is waaayy too much to trust the guy with. Even M. Night mainly does lower budget things than that in his post Airbender, post After Earth career. Dude's getting busted down to really cheap indie horror/comedy after this.

Ridley Scott blew so many large budgets I lost count at this point and yet he not only continues to get them, he just made his most expensive one yet. 50-60 mil is not a lot to ask after 1 flop, but plenty of successes before that, especially since some other studio will pay for it, not WB. M. Night pays for his own movies now, that's why they are cheap, that's his new finanical model.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Why do you have a hard on for him ESCAPING the blacklist? Considering Verbinski is totally fucked over and M. Night doesn't get high budget gigs over comparably bad movies I think it's justified.

Because I don't feel the need for one man to fall on his sword because a movie hasn't been received as well as they expected. I don't particularly want to see anybody lose their livelihood. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Both M. Night and Verbinski did multiple big flops in a row though, so it's not the same thing.

Edited by Firepower

Just now, Firepower said:

Ridley Scott blew so many large budgets I lost count at this point and yet he not only continues to get them, he just made his most expensive one yet. 50-60 mil is not a lot to ask after 1 flop, but plenty of success before that, especially since some other studio will pay it, not WB. M. Night pays for his own movies now, that's why they are cheap, that's his new finanical model.

Yeah I'm sure Disney and Uni are just waiting to back up a dump truck of money and abandon their primo JPark and Marvel stuff just to give a Todd Phillips joint a release slot. Lol. Maayyybbbeee he can somehow get Tony Khan to fund the Hogan movie? Tony's about stupid enough to do that considering the guy keeps printing checks for Chris Jericho (who looks like ass now)

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why do you have such a hard on for this guy getting blacklisted? It's pretty weird. 

Exactly.

This isn't a Josh Trank scenario where the director was difficult to work with, abusive on set, going over-budget and shit talking the studio. Todd Phillips just made a dud. A very expensive dud, but a dud nevertheless. 

Assuming he doesn't start lashing out, he'll just stick to mid budget comedies or dramas. At worst, he'll have to go to Netflix. 

Edited by JWR
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Because I don't feel the need for one man to fall on his sword because a movie hasn't been received as well as they expected. I don't particularly want to see anybody lose their livelihood. 

I do. Dude blew 190 mil on a courtroom drama. Lots of people are destitute and will never be given a chance in life. If Todd Phillips wants to blow more money than the Emperor Commodus on terrible musicals then fuck 'em. I don't need that kind of idiocy in my life.

Phillips shat the bed hard here but he's still a marquee name in comedies I think. He might struggle to get a big budget pic for a while but I think he'll be fine.

Joaquin could be in trouble though especially if Eddington flops. Although one wonders how much the Todd Haynes backflip was well known.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Yeah I'm sure Disney and Uni are just waiting to back up a dump truck of money and abandon their primo JPark and Marvel stuff just to give a Todd Phillips joint a release slot. Lol. Maayyybbbeee he can somehow get Tony Khan to fund the Hogan movie? Tony's about stupid enough to do that considering the guy keeps printing checks for Chris Jericho (who looks like ass now)

Lionsgate or Netflix can, actually Uni and Sony can do it as well, there's gonna be more supervision over scripts, but that's about it.

Just now, MightyDargon said:

I do. Dude blew 190 mil on a courtroom drama. Lots of people are destitute and will never be given a chance in life. If Todd Phillips wants to blow more money than the Emperor Commodus on terrible musicals then fuck 'em. I don't need that kind of idiocy in my life.

What did Todd Philips do to you LOL.

Just now, MightyDargon said:

That 190m paid a lot of people, the only loser are shareholders of a conglomerate, I see this as a win 🤷

• Like 2