ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

13 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

From Deadline:

The Substance (Mubi) 700 (-1012) theaters, Fri $430K (-28%), 3-day $1.45M (-30%), Total $9.8M/Wk 3

If that theater count is accurate, that is an incredible hold, and would mean it's gonna have the best PTA of its run so far. Is $15M total on the table?!

That's so exciting! It likely shed theaters where it wasn't making a huge amount + the viral stuff getting more people to see it has been leading to some great drops for the movie. I'm happy for MUBI they knew how to handle the film marketing to not turn this into a Jennifer's Body type of disaster with reception. It would've been easy to just market this movie, poorly, on "see hot women" and get the absolute wrong audience and tank it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Disaster or no, Joker still took all the PLF and there's not much you can do about that. It might get some back next week though. Still nearly two months until Moana as well.

I hope it gets some back next weekend just because it's kind of a waste on Joker for the theaters and I honestly just want to see it in Dolby again. But it's likely that if they take some away, which I'm still doubtful of idk how locked down that contract is with WB, some of it will just go to Terrifier instead. 

“Once the heterosexual couple nestle into their seats, they start to get busy. Really busy. Kissing, talking, ignoring the movie altogether. At one point, they were spooning, with their seats fully reclined — the woman (and man’s hand) stretching into my territory. My fears of catching a mass shooter stray were replaced by landing an STD by proximity.”

Joker: Folie à Deux - more like Joker: Freaky à Deux. https://variety.com/2024/film/news/inside-joker-2-opening-night-imax-screening-1236169047/

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

If the first one got released in China, Folie a Deux would be the first $1B+ raw drop

You are suggesting that Joker would have made 150m+ in China had it been released in 2019. That is almost impossible even by 2019's China. Outside of the first aquaman, none of the DC movie even hit 100m in China. With chinese market generally dislike slow and moody film. A more realistic number should range half of that 150m.

14 minutes ago, YM! said:

“Once the heterosexual couple nestle into their seats, they start to get busy. Really busy. Kissing, talking, ignoring the movie altogether. At one point, they were spooning, with their seats fully reclined — the woman (and man’s hand) stretching into my territory. My fears of catching a mass shooter stray were replaced by landing an STD by proximity.”

Joker: Folie à Deux - more like Joker: Freaky à Deux. https://variety.com/2024/film/news/inside-joker-2-opening-night-imax-screening-1236169047/

This is my favorite part so far

Another young man named Landon, wearing an apropos T-shirt that read, “Only anarchists are pretty,” noted the dearth of fanboys at the screening.

“I didn’t see like any comic book-seeming people — like Marvel or DC, right?” he said. “The first one had a lot of like, wink, wink or like this, like, little Bruce Wayne. They don’t have that in this one, right? It’s like the demographic you’d expect to, like, show up. But it makes sense considering it’s just as much talking as ‘Lincoln.’ It’s basically the same movie as ‘Lincoln.’”

"It's basically the same movie as Lincoln" should be on the DVD cover.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You are suggesting that Joker would have made 150m+ in China had it been released in 2019. That is almost impossible even by 2019's China. Outside of the first aquaman, none of the DC movie even hit 100m in China. With chinese market generally dislike slow and moody film. A more realistic number should range half of that 150m.

Doesn't it have a really high rating on Chinese rating websites? And a movie which makes $1.074B+ outside of China most likely does $150M+ in China

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Doesn't it have a really high rating on Chinese rating websites? And a movie which makes $1.074B+ outside of China most likely does $150M+ in China

There is a lot of movie don't connect with wider audience even with high rating and judging from the performance of the neighbouring countries (minus out South Korea and Japan which tend to have their own taste), it doesn't scream a 150m movie in China.

The WW-China drop is going to be more steep from Joker 1 to Joker 2 than Captain Marvel to The Marvels

Joker: $1075M

Joker 2: $200M (projection)
Loss: -$875M (-82.4%)

Captain Marvel: $975M

The Marvels: $190M

Loss: -$785M (-80.5%)

Actually, looking at this, Aquaman's WW-China drop isn't that terrible. $857M to $374M, "only" -56%

And unrelated, but Deadpool & Wolverine will end at ~$1.285B WW-China which is +$500M on DP1 and +$550M on DP2. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

Just now, titanic2187 said:

There is a lot of movie don't connect with wider audience even with high rating and judging from the performance of the neighbouring countries (minus out South Korea and Japan which tend to have their own taste), it doesn't scream a 150m movie in China.

Well maybe not $1B+ raw drop but it still would've made enough for Joker 2 to take the record from The Marvels

As much as I think Mufasa will do really well, that’s the only movie that can have a raw 1B drop and still be considered an okay success. 650m WW would be a 1B drop from the previous film… that’s actually insane. The fact that the Lion King made 1.65B is mind boggling. And even 1b for Mufasa would be a 650 WW total