Neo

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle | Nov 29 2018 (LA, NY), Dec 7 (Netflix) | Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch & Naomie Harris confirmed

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's hard not to wonder if this is also a Cloverfield Paradox situation where the studio knew they had a bad film on their hands and figured it would be better to sell it off to streaming.

doubt it, apparently recent test screenings went well with the only concern being the tone. they'd still be tinkering with it if it wasn't good, Serkis finished it fully back when trailer dropped

To be fair, it sounds like Netflix is pushing to have theatrical releases before they put it on their streaming platform.

If anything, Netflix and Amazon might turn into new theatrical distributors, which could help given Paramount (and Sony a few years back) have been struggling and Fox is disappearing.

Im also fine with streaming releases too.  While I don’t want the only viewing option to be streaming, it’d actually benefit me to be able to see indie flicks (and non blockbuster stuff) through a streaming.  Would be cheaper, I could see more movies, and sometimes it’s just hard to get out to the theater.

Plus if anything, Mowgli is going to get more exposure through Netflix than it would through WB.  It was going to bomb in its October WB slot, now it has an opportunity to actually get seen.

Dont get the doom and gloom.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

To be fair, it sounds like Netflix is pushing to have theatrical releases before they put it on their streaming platform.

If anything, Netflix and Amazon might turn into new theatrical distributors, which could help given Paramount (and Sony a few years back) have been struggling and Fox is disappearing.

Im also fine with streaming releases too.  While I don’t want the only viewing option to be streaming, it’d actually benefit me to be able to see indie flicks (and non blockbuster stuff) through a streaming.  Would be cheaper, I could see more movies, and sometimes it’s just hard to get out to the theater.

Plus if anything, Mowgli is going to get more exposure through Netflix than it would through WB.  It was going to bomb in its October WB slot, now it has an opportunity to actually get seen.

Pretty much this. WB knew there was no way they were going to compete with Disney's version (financially, at least) even under the best circumstances, so this way they've simply avoided the embarrassment that would've come had it been released in theaters as originally planned.

disappointing news. i liked the trailer and was looking forward to it.

just quessing that maybe wb hit their china quota including fb2 and aqm, and without that mowgli didn't have a big chance. aqm could have gotten a 2019 china release but that would eat into the 2019 wb quota. meg i guess will count as a chinese production else it tightens things up even more this year.

Edited by a2k

2 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

That’s a nice way of looking at it. It’s still unfortunate that we’re going to have to wait even longer before we can actually see the movie, though. 

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Agreed I think for Mowgli it was the right move from WB's point of view but I hope this doesn't become a reoccurring thing. A shame as despite my mixed reaction to the trailer I was definitely gonna check it out in cinemas.  

Makes me think of when The Interview had to be a streaming release a few years ago because of the Sony hack making it too dangerous to release in theaters and everyone assumed it was a one time thing. This happening does set quite a precedent, especially when the movie's marketing campaign was already underway. Hard not to wonder if this is the future of movies that studios just want to rid themselves of but don't want to have to fork over the P&A money for an obviously doomed movie; New Mutants, another project that's gone through the wringer, ending up as a similar release actually sounds plausible at this point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Makes me think of when The Interview had to be a streaming release a few years ago because of the Sony hack making it too dangerous to release in theaters and everyone assumed it was a one time thing. This happening does set quite a precedent, especially when the movie's marketing campaign was already underway. Hard not to wonder if this is the future of movies that studios just want to rid themselves of but don't want to have to fork over the P&A money for an obviously doomed movie; New Mutants, another project that's gone through the wringer, ending up as a similar release actually sounds plausible at this point.

This is special because it was an intended tent pole with an attendant tent  pole budget but studios were sending movies straight to VHS 30 years ago. 

Before that super saturation roll outs weren't a thing and P&A was proportionally far less expensive.  They could just open an expensive movie in a thousand or fewer theaters or even just platform it like they do indies now and if it didn't catch on then pull it without a lot of extra expense.   Easier than having to decide if you're going to throw another $75-150m+ to release a movie you think will bomb when there's a buyer available.

There have been movies that were supposed go straight to DVD (at least in the U.S.) but wound up being theatrically released because prospects improved - Taken, Saw, Puss In Boots, Planes etc and every year there are a bunch of movies with high profile talent that go straight to VOD - from budgets in the single digits up to the $20s-30m range.

• Like 1