Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Those kind of contracts that guarantee a theatrical release are only usually generated when a bigger studio/distributor picks up an "indie" film or project and puts into agreement that they will birth a theatrical release...and even then...there are always "outs."  And besides, FOX owns all the properties being adapted, here...so they can do what they want with it...and now that the deal is closing and we still have no further confirmation of a release or promotional materials... it's also likely that Disney will influence the decision of burying it, too...

Yesterday Disney announced that the deal will be finailized on March 20th, so it will be Disney's problem. As of March 20th, or shortly thereafter Fox as an independent company will cease to exist.

As for contracts, any contract Fox signed will be legally binding on Disney. When you acquire a company you acquire, unless specifiacly excluded in the contract, all it's assets and liabilities.

And even if a theatrical release is required, you can get aroung that by just releasing it in a couple of cities for a week or so.

I don't think that will  happen with New Mutants,,; I suspect Disney will give it a general release on the strength of the X Men name, but if it really is as big a mess as it's history indicates,they won't spend a lot on marketing and certainly none on expensive reshoots. In other words, dump it.

it's sad because I though the Project had great potential, but all the huge problems it has had is not a good sing as far as quality goes.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is what I suspect. Disney will release it as is,not spend a lot on reshoots.

I think you have a lot of wishful thinking in this thread; that the film has basically sat on the shelves  for nearly a year is not a good sign.  Most likely scenario is there was a massive fight between those who wanted a R rated film as originally envisioned, and those who wanted to "soften" it to appeal to a larger audience, and no one won.

I understand loving the source material, but I have seen some really bad movies made from really great source material.

:whosad:

Guilty as charged.

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

:whosad:

Guilty as charged.

Look, I feel you pain; I have had the Fantastic Four, one my favorite comics, crapped upon 3 times in a row.

But I am one of those who thinks it's better to face reality:Yes, the New Mutants is great source material but everything we know from it's history indicates it has not turned out well. That Fox went ahead with expensive reshoots for Dark Phoenix but has not done so with New Mutants indicates iFOx might have decided it's simply not salvageable.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Disney probably will release the film, but it's going to be dumped;on a not all that strong a release date and with a minimum spent on advertising. You will have a chance to see it, but catch it while it's in town.

57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think Disney probably will release the film, but it's going to be dumped

Look at it from this point of view:

The thing to remember is that Disney spent $70B to buy Fox. (Or whatever the exact price was.) Disney does not get some money back if they decide to not release New Mutants. That purchase price does not go up or down based on whether New Mutants is a hit or a flop. Disney has spent $70B to buy Fox and it's various assets. One of those things included in the purchase is a completed New Mutants movie (or near-completed, depending on the state of reshoots, additional post-production work, etc). This is no longer a question of a movie studio writing a check to make a movie. This a studio with a completed (near?) movie sitting in their hands, just waiting to be released. If Disney releases it, they'll make $100M (or pick any number) based on the box office of the movie. If they don't release, they don't make $100M. But the movie has already been made, and Fox has already been paid for. Not releasing it would literally just be leaving $100M on the table.

Therefore, seems like a wise financial decision to release it.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Look, I feel you pain; I have had the Fantastic Four, one my favorite comics, crapped upon 3 times in a row.

But I am one of those who thinks it's better to face reality:Yes, the New Mutants is great source material but everything we know from it's history indicates it has not turned out well. That Fox went ahead with expensive reshoots for Dark Phoenix but has not done so with New Mutants indicates iFOx might have decided it's simply not salvageable.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Disney probably will release the film, but it's going to be dumped;on a not all that strong a release date and with a minimum spent on advertising. You will have a chance to see it, but catch it while it's in town.

But I thought we had heard that the screenings for New Mutants went pretty ok. Like it was a decent movie. It wasn't any kind of disaster. It just wasn't a horror movie. Then IT came out and then FOX decided they wanted to go full on horror after that

10 hours ago, terrestrial said:

It probably will, but Disney will get money by selling the stations,... the varying governments of all the countries they needed approval of. Don't count on them feeling the need for one single movie that seems to be a bad one / need re-shots....

Disney's original offer was $52.4bn, Comcast bid, during a time the negotiations were already quite deep / in motion, $65bn, what caused Disney to raise its bit to $71b.

The originally unplanned diff of $18.6b might be counter-balanced by local sales (US sales), sales in Mexico, Brazil, India, China, Europe, UK some extra,... all of which had sale this-and-that conditions.

I think they calculated certain sales beforehand, but am not sure how far.

Their focus will be get the steaming services running, work at Hulu details, collect the movie TV rights back (like check contracts, do the official re-signing,....) all over the world, merge teams where needed,... look for to the departments keep running, ...

They have to calculate how much material like TV-serries of genre this and that, which audience groups (gender ages,....) might want what, to evaluate more in depth (similar the little bad surprises that you might find after a house buy, even if an expert looked over it) which departments' personal, which buildings, which other potentially impacting future projects need a refresh, to be closed down (btw some of the regional sports TV stations might be a write off, as in unsellable to conditions it wont hurt them in the long run each of those sale tries... more expensive or important)

All examples and more points in question are high $ impact points, a seemingly poorly made movie will be very very very low on their to do list.

Yes and no. Disney could get at least $40m selling New Mutants' rights worldwide.
"seemingly poorly made" does mean the film can not make a good money?
Netflix bought Cloverfield Paradox for more than $50m.
If you think Disney is in a position it can to miss opportunities to increase revenue, even if it is not so big, you are a awful administrator.

24 minutes ago, Litio said:

Yes and no. Disney could get at least $40m selling New Mutants' rights worldwide.
"seemingly poorly made" does mean the film can not make a good money?
Netflix bought Cloverfield Paradox for more than $50m.
If you think Disney is in a position it can to miss opportunities to increase revenue, even if it is not so big, you are a awful administrator.

Also yes and no

They wont sell any rights, they do the opposite in a way. If there will be a theatrical release, they'll do it, if under the name of Fox or not, I am not sure for the moment as I have it not read up / not at hand.

They need material for their Disney+ and for their Hulu services.

The opted to not extend their contracts with Netflix,... for that.

Disney is in a position, where it has to be very careful, what to do with material that could potentially hurt the reputation of the MCU, even if the New Mutants movie, as it was made, didn't has to do anything with the MCU.

After Endgame a lot will change, in the meaning the huge build-up to Endgame will probably be followed by some smaller movies, get in a way the big story dialled back a bit.

That's the danger of such high numbers, stories,.... like a story it needs more quite moments too I think.

If they plan to bring in the mutants into the MCU soon,... it could be tricky.

GA might get confused think its part and  expect certain artistic decisions for the other mutant involved movies. Or....

In the end it sums up to it might build up unwanted expectations, or it might damage reputation,...

Could be they store the movie for a time, could be it ends on their service, or it gets a release.

'Seemingly' as some say it might be not good. As not released, we do not know for sure. So seemingly instead of 'it is...' whatever

40 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Also yes and no

They wont sell any rights, they do the opposite in a way. If there will be a theatrical release, they'll do it, if under the name of Fox or not, I am not sure for the moment as I have it not read up / not at hand.

They need material for their Disney+ and for their Hulu services.

The opted to not extend their contracts with Netflix,... for that.

Disney is in a position, where it has to be very careful, what to do with material that could potentially hurt the reputation of the MCU, even if the New Mutants movie, as it was made, didn't has to do anything with the MCU.

After Endgame a lot will change, in the meaning the huge build-up to Endgame will probably be followed by some smaller movies, get in a way the big story dialled back a bit.

That's the danger of such high numbers, stories,.... like a story it needs more quite moments too I think.

If they plan to bring in the mutants into the MCU soon,... it could be tricky.

GA might get confused think its part and  expect certain artistic decisions for the other mutant involved movies. Or....

In the end it sums up to it might build up unwanted expectations, or it might damage reputation,...

Could be they store the movie for a time, could be it ends on their service, or it gets a release.

'Seemingly' as some say it might be not good. As not released, we do not know for sure. So seemingly instead of 'it is...' whatever

Aren't they going to sell the rights internationally? Hulu and Disney+ is/will be in a very limited number of countries. Will they wait the foreigners to watch their products illegally to officially launch them?

New Mutants has nothing to do with MCU, not only in tone, but in scale too (based on trailer and News).
It is more likely that GA thinks Aquaman and Shazam! are MCU movies than New Mutants being a MCU movie.

1 minute ago, Litio said:

Aren't they going to sell the rights internationally? Hulu and Disney+ is/will be in a very limited number of countries. Will they wait the foreigners to watch their products illegally to officially launch them?

New Mutants has nothing to do with MCU, not only in tone, but in scale too (based on trailer and News).
It is more likely that GA thinks Aquaman and Shazam! are MCU movies than New Mutants being a MCU movie.

I know it hasn't to do anything with the MCU, but there is theoretically the danger after Endgame, maybe new MCU announcements... whatever the schedule will look like after Endgame, the GA might not really realise it.

They see Marvel, they think Marvel

If its cinema, no selling.

If its TV, I haven't read up on if there are plans for multi country versions or not. They own a lot of TV stations worldwide, tons of sports see sales to expect based on the merger.

So either they air it themselves, or stream or... not sell but liscensing it out. I could image a mix

Or DVDs,... VoD there are many possibilities. I do not think we already know all planed changes.

Some years back I didn't imagine to watch a movie over a game console, and than came the playstation.

In the end it was to show its not sure what they will do. There is no 'this will happen'. Whatever 'this' will be we will see in the future, not now

22 hours ago, kitik said:

Look at it from this point of view:

The thing to remember is that Disney spent $70B to buy Fox. (Or whatever the exact price was.) Disney does not get some money back if they decide to not release New Mutants. That purchase price does not go up or down based on whether New Mutants is a hit or a flop. Disney has spent $70B to buy Fox and it's various assets. One of those things included in the purchase is a completed New Mutants movie (or near-completed, depending on the state of reshoots, additional post-production work, etc). This is no longer a question of a movie studio writing a check to make a movie. This a studio with a completed (near?) movie sitting in their hands, just waiting to be released. If Disney releases it, they'll make $100M (or pick any number) based on the box office of the movie. If they don't release, they don't make $100M. But the movie has already been made, and Fox has already been paid for. Not releasing it would literally just be leaving $100M on the table.

Therefore, seems like a wise financial decision to release it.

But then the costs of marketing and distribution would normally probasbly be around 100 Million.

People forget how damn much it costs just to get a movie into a theater. That is why some films never get a threatrical release.

I think this will be released by Disney because the X men brand guarantees business. But I think they will but their losses and spend as little as possible on the release...and probably no extensive reshoots. Fox balked at that and Disney will also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

80 - Hobbes & Shaw 

60 - The Lion King (-45%)

40 - New Mutants

30 - Dora the Explorer

15 - Once Upon a Time (-50%)

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

??? What is that supposed to be?

His guesses for the B.O. for August 2nd w/e

$30m for Dora is a bit of a shocker