Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

6 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

I spent some time this evening listening to Another Brick in the Wall. All three parts, though Part 2 is the one that people mostly know, and it's the one they sampled for the trailer. The choice of it as music makes a lot of sense. The sequence from The Wall for Part 2 is pretty much nightmare fuel, already. Selecting it here works for the horror aspect, but it also plays really well into the mutants as a metaphor for puberty. (IMO, the best of the various things mutants have been a metaphor... for.)

After doing that, I rewatched the trailer. And, it really works for me. I'm not generally into horror, so close genre fans might not be keen on it, but for me, it's a good 'un. It seems to be a good adaptation of the source material (although, not an exact one: Demon Bear is an inspiration, but not a template, so to speak), but it's also sticking true to the horror roots. There's some good Wes Craven in with those mutant genes.

(Apparently Boone pitched a trilogy for the New Mutants, each one having a different type of horror. I dig that.)

Chris Claremont, the man who would go on to redefine the X-Men from the late 70's to the early 90's with his work on the franchise, was definitely a fan of what popular horror creators were doing during the different years of his influential run. In the late 70's/early 80's, he drew inspiration from Stephen King for the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga. During the 80's, he utilized themes from King, Wes Craven and John Carpenter (among others) for The New Mutants in particular. Plenty of horror motifs appear in his other X-Men work from time to time, possession being the most prominent one.

I actually find The New Mutants to be consistently better than most of his main X-Men work because the YA aspects of the title complimented his horror leanings perfectly, and as you said, the puberty/mutant allegory worked better than other mutant themes (though I do enjoy explorations of the allegory's other interpretations as well).     

• Like 3

5 hours ago, alisson23 said:

28 hours after release = YouTube - 4m+ 

25k likes/3k dislikes

Pretty good

I see Maze Runner 2 numbers for now

Yeah, it had a nice jump in viewers. Maze Runner 2 numbers wouldn't surprise me but they seem to be a bit of different cases, no? Sure, they're both YA but one is horror/CBM and the first installment while the other is the typical dystopian YA stuff(well done I might add) and a sequel, no?

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, it had a nice jump in viewers. Maze Runner 2 numbers wouldn't surprise me but they seem to be a bit of different cases, no? Sure, they're both YA but one is horror/CBM and the first installment while the other is the typical dystopian YA stuff(well done I might add) and a sequel, no?

I don’t get this comparison too.

It is generating some nice activity on Twitter Tracking, it seems that it’s appealing to teens, if it is PG13, I can see it pulling a mini SS, with both support from Horror fans and SH fans.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Both are YA movies of science fiction with horror elements from Fox (MR2 has zombies).
I think that NM is going to be somewhat frontloaded as any movie in X-men franchise (and because of the Friday 13th), sadly, so I compared it with the MR sequel ($30m/$82m/$231m/$313m), a great number btw. Well, not sure still, but this is what I see for now.

• Like 2

Horror movies as it is have supernatural elements - ghosts, devils, time-continuum-glitch (eg: HDD), super-powers, etc. So the awe of mutant powers in a human world disappears once you paint it as a horror story as the audience has a wider suspension of disbelief for horror films. But as a normal story the mutant vs human element has a bigger impact on you. That is one of the issues I have with the movie looking just at this early promo. But am keeping an open mind about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Horror movies as it is have supernatural elements - ghosts, devils, time-continuum-glitch (eg: HDD), super-powers, etc. So the awe of mutant powers in a human world disappears once you paint it as a horror story as the audience has a wider suspension of disbelief for horror films. But as a normal story the mutant vs human element has a bigger impact on you. That is one of the issues I have with the movie looking just at this early promo. But am keeping an open mind about it.

Josh Boone cited A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors as one of the major inspirations for this film and that film already did "horror with superheroes". There was also one of the Friday the 13th films that had a telekinesis powered girl like Jean Grey/Carrie White who took on Jason (I don't remember which one it was, the 8th one?). So technically the concept has been done before. But I think/hope the novelty will be exploring the mutant allegory for traumatic aspects of puberty through a horror movie lens. It, Scream and similar films have kind of done that too (except for the mutant/superpowers part) but the characters here are pretty unique and so far, Boone is making all the right noises regarding doing the personalities justice. 

Btw this was the interview where he spoke about the influences for the film, the setting being a 150 year-old mental hospital where crew members experienced weird happenings, and how he adopted practical effects over VFX wherever possible:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I was wondering about just that. So it won't really mix with the main X-Men cast in the near future.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Do you mean they won't mix with the current X-Men generation (McAvoy & co.) in our near future or the original generation (Stewart & co.) whose films were set in the "near future" of the X-Men universe? I don't think they'll meet the original generation but chances for the current generation are still there. Isn't Dark Phoenix set in the 90's? If we are supposed to believe McAvoy's group barely aged for 30 years since the 60's, what's another 25 years until present day? :P 

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I wonder if they’re going to link it with Deadpool? 

That's another thing. Deadpool 2 is going to introduce the time-travelling Cable, so maybe the different time settings of the films won't prevent the characters from crossing over. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm a little confused by this statement. Do you mean they won't mix with the current X-Men generation (McAvoy & co.) in our near future or the original generation (Stewart & co.) whose films were set in the "near future" of the X-Men universe? I don't think they'll meet the original generation but chances for the current generation are still there. Isn't Dark Phoenix set in the 90's? If we are supposed to believe McAvoy's group barely aged for 30 years since the 60's, what's another 25 years until present day? :P 

That's another thing. Deadpool 2 is going to introduce the time-travelling Cable, so maybe the different time settings of the films won't prevent the characters from crossing over. 

Well yeah, FOX just gives no fucks about timeline consistency, I guess anything can happen.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, a2knet said:

I made a 180 with this film previously to the release of the teaser trailer. All thanks to how brilliant The Gifted is. I was actually legit excited for the trailer and I'm still very much hoping for a good film. With that said, I can't help but feel awfully underwhelmed by this teaser trailer. I sort of disagree with a2knet though: I'm a believer that an actual horror movie with superheroes characters - especially one based on New Mutants storyline Demon Bear - can absolutely work.

My problem is that this first teaser wasn't a good impression at all, it looks generic cheap horror film, with run on the mill jump scares. I think the biggest problem is that while Josh Boone is considered a great screenwriter when it comes to teenagers (Never saw FIOTS or any other films that he worked, but I trust people that do and enjoyed) the fact that he is a first time director it's taking a toll on him, especially since good horror films isn't that easy to crack. It reminds me the Marc Webb situation, but even worse because it feels like he is trying too much with little experience. I'd much rather see an experienced horror director or an up and comer like Wan and Peele having a crack on this than a first time horror director like Boone. It's a shame because I want this to succeed, but I feel like it doesn't have a chance if isn't able to satisfy horror and superheroes fans alike. Hopefully, it will do good enough to justify other directors or even Boone himself having another crack at it. But right now, I'm just not feeling it. 

With that said, WATCH THE GIFTED. The Gifted and Legion both play with horror elements and suspense in a way that pleases me a whole lot, and looks quite more fresh and unique next to this film so far. Hopefully the next trailers and the film itself will make me see it differently, but right now New Mutants looks like a generic Blumhouse wannabe and not something like Get Out or It. Here's hoping. 

On 10/14/2017 at 11:01 AM, eXtacy2 said:

What. The. Fuck

Just watched the trailer and was not expecting a horror. Have we had a super hero horror before?

Man Thing was not released to theaters but that's the only one I can thimk of.

Oh shit. I just remembered Blade.

10 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Man Thing was not released to theaters but that's the only one I can thimk of.

Oh shit. I just remembered Blade.

There’s also Glass coming in, that probably will be a mix between Horror/Drama, the Horror genre is dominating Hollywood right now, next step is Awards’ acclamation, which Get Out will surely improve this year.