Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

But until like the last few weeks to release did anyone besides @The Pumpkin Spice Panda and maybe @That One Guy (if my memory is right), think that $200M+ DOM was possible?

For IT?? A lot of us expected 200m, myself included. Maybe not a lot expected 300m, but a lot expected 200m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

For IT?? A lot of us expected 200m, myself included. Maybe not a lot expected 300m, but a lot expected 200m

Some were claiming 200m, but you can go back and check.  A lot were not expecting that much until it pretty much opened.

1 minute ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Some were claiming 200m, but you can go back and check.  A lot were not expecting that much until it pretty much opened.

Exactly. People were not expecting $150m 6 months before release. All this $200m became common after presales updates started coming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Exactly. People were not expecting $150m 6 months before release. All this $200m became common after presales updates started coming.

It happens with every huge breakout.  "It was so obvious that it was going to happen!"

Hindsight Bias at work.

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I was predicting 200M+ far before presales.  I had that shit pegged!

Edited by That One Guy
all my other predictions after this are gonna suck so I’m gonna take advantage of this as much as possible
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

My buddy posted on Facebook today with the trailer that he read the script and thats its really good. 

Don't know his taste too much besides he's a HARDCORE Star Trek Next Gen fan. 

Totally see Fox lifting the embargo weeks before release like they did for the last few X-films. So far that strategy has worked really well for DOFP, Deadpool and Logan, with Apocalypse being the only backfire.

3 hours ago, Cookson said:

Is there any popular known mutants in this that the GA would know? I have no clue who any of these characters are.

Sunspot is probably the most well known of the group since he appeared in Days of Future Past and X-Men Evolution. Mirage and Canonball are somewhat known if you grew up watching X-Men Evolution. The others are virtually unknown to the GA.

• Like 2

I spent some time this evening listening to Another Brick in the Wall. All three parts, though Part 2 is the one that people mostly know, and it's the one they sampled for the trailer. The choice of it as music makes a lot of sense. The sequence from The Wall for Part 2 is pretty much nightmare fuel, already. Selecting it here works for the horror aspect, but it also plays really well into the mutants as a metaphor for puberty. (IMO, the best of the various things mutants have been a metaphor... for.)

After doing that, I rewatched the trailer. And, it really works for me. I'm not generally into horror, so close genre fans might not be keen on it, but for me, it's a good 'un. It seems to be a good adaptation of the source material (although, not an exact one: Demon Bear is an inspiration, but not a template, so to speak), but it's also sticking true to the horror roots. There's some good Wes Craven in with those mutant genes.

(Apparently Boone pitched a trilogy for the New Mutants, each one having a different type of horror. I dig that.)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, El Gato said:

Sunspot is probably the most well known of the group since he appeared in Days of Future Past and X-Men Evolution. Mirage and Canonball are somewhat known if you grew up watching X-Men Evolution. The others are virtually unknown to the GA.

X-Men Evolution was the shit.

• Like 3