Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

also this is not a Fant4stic as this does not have a large budget, was not made to retain rights to a franchise, is not a clash of different visions, and to the best of my knowledge won't have much studio interference.  people seem to have forgotten that the main reason why Fant4stic was so awful was because of the behind the scenes drama that resulted in a complete mess of a film.  this was made under completely different circumstances, best to at least give it the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love how Fox has become the Cannon Group of the 2010's, making cheap ass movies that resort on cheap thrills :

violence, blood and gore, vulgarity & sex.

I mean, I get it, if money is the only thing you care about in the end, that s the strategy you go for.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm trying to figure out who exactly they think this movie is for? Certainly not going to appeal to the CBM audience, but at the same time doesn't really look like something the typical horror audience would go for either. 

We haven't seen the full trailer yet. Too early to judge on that.

• Like 1

Alice Braga and Henry Zaga interview at Brazil Comic Con (in Portuguese) 

English translation transcript a poster prepared at comicbookmovie.com

When asked if she was 'Kinda the Professor Xavier of the New Mutants", Alice Braga giggling said: "I KNEW you were going to ask me this!... The difficult thing in doing this movie is not giving up any spoilers (...) My character has this function (similar to Xavier), of guiding them (...) The discovery of their powers send them to this institution where I'm the caretaker figure. And she (Cecilia) is the person who organizes it, she's not a maternal figure, but she is the boss, moreso like a guide. But there are many surprises in the movie (Zaga nods in agreement). Josh Boone, who did "The Fault in Our Stars" and worked with young actor, he's a great director of actors, and with this movie he did a great parallel with the youth and the mutants. One of them talks about the rejection, of being different and overly auto-critical, not accepting themselves. Josh put all of this in the movie and I think it'll connect with the young audience. Then it was interesting for me to ask the director about how I could guide them, mutants (...) About my character, Josh gave me freedom to elaborate more, so I connected more with him than with the comic books. I did take a look a the comics to get the personality (of Reyes) but I consulted more with the director to get to know how I could be a better guide to the mutants, a role very different from my previous ones". 

-

Then the presenter and both actors joked about how their names ("Alice", "Braga" and "Zaga") were usually pronounced outside of Brazil, with Zaga telling them that he usually corrects everyone about the right pronunciation of Alice's first name (correctly pronounced "Aleesi").

I think this will be another superhero hit for Brazil. @Arlborn will be happy to know that the movie uses the mutant allegory to explore coming of age/adolescent themes. :) 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1