Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Nothing to back it up as well either?Hey, you know what I think, Avengers has potential to make $200m next weekend too. Everyone wants to see it more than once, why not all see it again next weekend? :rolleyes:Please, I don't mind if people actually have something to back up with rather than "I think it will be an event and has potential"

Ok well TDK opened to $67m 4 years ago with a smaller IMAX share than rises will get OD. I predict double the midnights at least and huge Friday summer business. Call this crazy after Avengers and you show how naive you are I'm sorry. Edited by GiantCALBears

Holy sh*t, I have so many pages to read. This thread is exploding again. And I'm so happy to read through so many posts. :lol:

Yes, this thread is reaching at least 10 pph(pages per hour).

I think it's pretty obvious, TA is the phenom this year. TDKR was never destined to do what TDK did.

Don´t rule out TDKR yet.. It will be a monster to

A 100m second weekend would be even more impressive to me than what we're seeing here, but I think it'll have burnt off a little too much demand by then. Still, Dark Shadows won't hurt it at all.

You're right for the 100m 2nd weekend.It would be like seing a new movie opening with big numbers but then, our brain would be "wait! Wasn't this movie already making these kind of big numbers...168 hours ago?

What worldwide weekend?I wish it were TDKR doing it instead of The Avengers. That's what's pissing me off, too.

DH2's WW opening record is safe for a long time. It may even survive Avatar 2!

As long as movies you like are successful, who cares if another movie makes more money? That way lies madness -- inflation, if nothing else, means that even crappy movies will make more in time.Look at classics from a decade or couple decades ago. They're so far surpassed that people don't even mention them when they're passed... but they were juggernauts in their day.

• Founder / Operator

I think it's pretty obvious, TA is the phenom this year. TDKR was never destined to do what TDK did.

In terms of dollars, sure, but I don't think that's fair to TDKR to write it off. In terms of tickets sold on opening weekend, it doesn't have NEARLY as huge a task ahead of it. I don't think we can declare phenoms over other potential phenoms when 3D prices are contributing so largely and won't for other films. We're no longer on an even keel like we were in 2002 when Spider-Man outshone Star Wars for being the "phenom of the year".Plus, there's still The Hobbit to come and we have no idea how that's going to turn out. But there's no denying, Avengers has set the bar incredibly high for both of those films (TDKR and Hobbit). Edited by ShawnMR