75Live

May 7 - 10, 2012 Weekday Numbers: AVENGERS 12.5 Thurs pg 61

Strangely, I like A HORSE AND HIS BOY. It's the sort of movie that I can imagine Carroll Ballard knocking out of the park (not that it would ever happen).But you're right in that it's pretty tangentially related to what most consider to be the main things about Narnia: kids from our world travelling to theirs. And of course it'd be tough to adapt without screams of racism/religious proselytizing.

Damn, how could I have thought a 12% drop on Wednesday would've been possible. Anyway, keeping the percentages the same but going off the wednesday numbers..

Wed: $13.61m -23.0% ($257.62m)

Thu: $12.52m -8.0% ($270.14m)

Fri: $30.11m+140.5% ($300.25m) <$300m in 8 Days! [TDK $313m in 10 Days]

Sat: $42.58m+41.4% ($342.83m)

Sun: $28.36m -33.4% ($371.19m) <$371m in 10 Days! [TDK $351m in 14 Days]

2nd Weekend: $101.05m

I'm no Rth, but what do you guys think of these numbers?

I think that the Friday increase might not be high enough.

I don't think Narnia could ever have been as consistently big as Potter... the stories are not related and the main characters change! Its the same with the Ender's Game movie. If the first one is a success, they shouldn't just expect an audience to materialize for the sequel when it is a completely different type of story and us 1000's of years in the future.

I think they believed they had a Harry Potter-esque franchise where people would show up no matter what. Obviously they were a bit off

Considering that Narnia had edged out the 2nd highest Harry Potter ticket seller domestically that year, they got pretty confident they had the next big franchise on their hands. But, it didn't work out that way.

Wow, THG had to slog so hard to finally beat DH2. And it was still a feat. But TA... TA is such a monster. Its going to zoom past both THG and DH2 in like what, 2 weeks? Unbelievable. :)

Like 5 or 6 days

Is 23% a good drop or not?

By itself, it's pretty average. Thor dropped about the same on its first Wed.

BUT, it's never good to take a day's performance out of context. Thor was at 6.4% of its OW on its 1st Wed. TA is at 6.6%...of its gargantuan OW. Is this the first sign of being frontloaded? Maybe, but after its performance up to Wed, I feel TA deserves the benefit of the doubt. Any talk of under 500m is absolutely, completely and utterly premature so I'm not even responding to anyone who is saying this right now.

By itself, it's pretty average. Thor dropped about the same on its first Wed.

BUT, it's never good to take a day's performance out of context. Thor was at 6.4% of its OW on its 1st Wed. TA is at 6.6%...of its gargantuan OW. Is this the first sign of being frontloaded? Maybe, but after its performance up to Wed, I feel TA deserves the benefit of the doubt. Any talk of under 500m is absolutely, completely and utterly premature so I'm not even responding to anyone who is saying this right now.

I plugged in both a conservative projection, and a more optimistic projection. Even with harsh drops, TA won't fail to reach $500M. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't done the math.