Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

What's cool about the cast is that it's such a poster child for diversity. It's almost as if everyone is represented: blacks, Asians, Latinos, LBGT. And it looks like they've given Bennett a pretty kick-ass female role too. Hail Fuqua, King of Diversity, everyone.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's cool about the cast is that it's such a poster child for diversity. It's almost as if everyone is represented: blacks, Asians, Latinos, LBGT. And it looks like they've given Bennett a pretty kick-ass female role too. Hail Fuqua, King of Diversity, everyone.

They should do an all female Magnificent Seven few years from now. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, bartonfink said:

I go Leone, Corbucci etc but I can look back. I think the original was awesome. 

Meh, I can't watch any old American western anymore . The difference in quality and attitude between the , good, Italian westerns and the American ones is gigantic , like they belong in a different genre .

Anyway this new one looks like a parody .

Tries too hard to look fun and cool. That always worries me in a trailer, but that cast is just great. 

And yeah, the great Italian westerns make 80% of American ones look tame and insipid, but there's still the great American westerns too.

Edited by Celedhring

41 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Tries too hard to look fun and cool. That always worries me in a trailer, but that cast is just great. 

And yeah, the great Italian westerns make 80% of American ones look tame and insipid, but there's still the great American westerns too.

Welcome to the forum! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Who' the LGBT in the cast?

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Matt Bomer.

LOL, I saw some of his fans get so bummed on YT because his character's death seems to set up the movie. 

Imagine waiting for a new movie from your fave actor only to find out he dies at the start of act one. :lol:

Can't think of any American western that comes close to something like "the big gundown" or "the great silence" , and I am not using the usual famous Italian westerns . They really are timeless , bad ass to the bone . From the opening scene of Django to the ending of the "the great silence" to the chase scene in "the big gundown" ...goosebumps ....plus the DIVINE music from Ennio  morricone ....Not going to start about giants like "once upon a time in the west" ...Tarrantino tried twice and failed miserably both times to emulate this attitude .

The Italians sure knew how to make genre cinema from Gallo, to polizietei , to horror e.t.c....

Anyway the only good thing in the original was Steve McQueen . This remake looks awful to the maximum .

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Can't think of any American western that comes close to something like "the big gundown" or "the great silence" , and I am not using the usual famous Italian westerns . They really are timeless , bad ass to the bone . From the opening scene of Django to the ending of the "the great silence" to the chase scene in "the big gundown" ...goosebumps ....plus the DIVINE music from Ennio  morricone ....Not going to start about giants like "once upon a time in the west" ...Tarrantino tried twice and failed miserably both times to emulate this attitude .

The Italians sure knew how to make genre cinema from Gallo, to polizietei , to horror e.t.c....

Anyway the only good thing in the original was Steve McQueen . This remake looks awful to the maximum .

The Italians also knew how to make Road Warrior Knockoffs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The Italians also knew how to make Road Warrior Knockoffs. 

Truth be told the Italian genre cinema died in the early eighties and these knock offs are a result of its decline , but fun nonetheless . Anyway we are at a time when a wimpy movie like this remake is being praised for having a black, an Asian, an Indian, a woman , a kid, a Martian ,e.t.c when fifty years ago there were westerns that were either hardcore anti-racist ( the big gundown) or extremely political (face to face, a bullet for the general e.t.c ) .

Edited by Thrylos 7

It looks although given Westerns are a hard sell OS, they're going to really have to rely on Washington and Pratt's star power to sell it. Considering the R rated Equalizer did $36m OW and ending up grossing $101m dom, I think M7 could do $40m+ OW and over $100m domestically.