Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

It may sound extremely shocking when I say this.....but I don't think the Twilight-franchise is that bad of a franchise.

Granted it's not a great one either....but I do understand where the lovers and haters are coming from. So....count me as a casual defender of that franchise.

I do also get the mixed to negative reception, each film has got.

I think the Twilight-franchise has at least a story to tell with each movies. I'll name each plot of each film simply.

Twilight = The female protagonist, Bella Swan, falls in love with a vampire named Edward Cullen. They get to know each other as time moves on. We also get to know Edward's family....who are also vampires. However....a trio of evil vampires wants to kill Bella....so Edward has to do everything in his power to protect her from harm's way.

New Moon = Edward Cullen leaves Bella all by herself. Ever since then....she has fewer people to talk. The only other guy...Bella gets to talk with is Jacob Black....which is later revealed to be a werewolf.

Eclipse = One evil vampire, Victoria (the last surviving vampire from the trio of the first film) creates an army of new-born vampires to fight the Cullens. Because of that, the Cullens & Bella need to ally with the werewolves (including Jacob) to fight the newborn vampires and Victoria.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 = Bella & Edward gets married and they spend their honeymoon together on their own. It's later revealed that Bella gets pregnant. However, that also means that Bella almost loses her life. Edward & Jacob are trying their best to save Bella's life....however, almost all of Jacob's werewolf clan sees the baby as a threat and their only option is to destroy it....which also means killing off Bella. At the near end of the movie....the baby is born...and is a girl named Renesmee....and Bella becomes a vampire.

Breaking Dawn Part 2 = After Bella became a vampire...it's also revealed that Renesmee is half-human and half-vampire. That brings ill news to the Volturi..(including the main antagonist of the Twilight-franchise, Aro) So the Cullens are gathering all the vampires around the world for a war against the Volturi. And it's a big battle between the good vampires & werewolves against the bad vampires.

So the films has a legit and continuous story to tell. And since you have seen all films....you know it already.

I'm just saying this as a casual defender.

What are your thoughts of each of the Twilight-films.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I kinda-sorta enjoyed New Moon and Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (both are in that marginal B-/C+ middle ground). That said, if we're talking about riffing/drinking games/etc., I love all of them dearly. Few viewing experiences I've had in the last five years top the sold out opening night Breaking Dawn - Part 1 showing in which a friend and I did a vicious running commentary (granted, we whispered it because we're not *complete* assholes) that even a few Twihards in earshot started to agree with by the end.

There are some pros of the Twilight-films, i forgot to mention:

1. Jacob & Edward feels as two-three dimensional characters. (Edward is calm and nice, but does  also have his tough-ass moments. Jacob is strong and tough, but also has his softer and nicer moments.)

2. The CGI on the werewolves....surprisingly looks pretty great. Yeah, they look more like actual normal wolves but much bigger in size.....but I think they're well-handled.

3. Michael Sheen as Aro. Out of all the Twilight-villains in the film-series, Aro seems to be the one who mostly enjoys any minute on screen.

4. We at least get to know more about some of the characters. Like the Cullen-family, the werewolf-clan...etc.