Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That will never happen. ;)

Does Besson have something against Reynolds or something?  Or do you mean Reynolds wouldn't be interested?  I was just using him as an example, by the way...

Wondering if I should ignore the celebrations and go see this.   It is in a situation where every fanboy group will be rooting for it to fail so as not to take money from their favorites.   (Marvel, DC, and Nolan fans)   Plus fans of graphic novels are notoriously cranky about adaptations of their favorites too so I don't trust those reviews.

I don't use the term "Box Office Poison" very often, but I think it might well apply to Dehaan.

He might be OK in supporting roles, but casting him in a leading role seems to be a sure fire way of turning off audeinces.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't use the term "Box Office Poison" very often, but I think it might well apply to Dehaan.

He might be OK in supporting roles, but casting him in a leading role seems to be a sure fire way of turning off audeinces.

Thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen DeHaan give a legitimate good performance.  He just had a few passable ones.

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen DeHaan give a legitimate good performance.  He just had a few passable ones.

What do you think about Chronicle?

• Like 1

Funny how quickly people go about-face.  DeHaan is a real talent.  Perhaps not best for a franchise lead hero...but he's a powerful actor that has risen in status for good reason...because people in the industry see his talent. 

The Place Beyond the Pines

(which Gosling and everyone else are also phenomenal in)

...that's all I have to say. 

Edited by Macleod

This was good. And interesting.

The beautiful, intricate world building is truly the star of this film, including

Spoiler

the different species, cultural customs, behaviours, and ways of being.

Beyond that, the movie succeeds most on a thematic level. Though not fully developed, the underlying message and heart of the film kept it motoring. 

I didn't think DeHaan was bad, but it did feel like he was miscast. Though, there is something to be said for having a guy who isn't your typical big, macho dude, but who still puts on a show of being this impressive agent. It does make for some interesting practices of masculinity, with a man who doesn't necessarily possess the ideals of manhood - who doesn't achieve the hegemonic form of masculinity - but who taps into it as men do. However, I would have liked to have seen someone else better suited for this role.

Delevingne was good and felt more appropriately cast. She exuded a tough, playful character, and her character [BIG SPOILERS!] 

Spoiler

really was the centre of this story. Valerian is reckless out on a chase and crashes, and he would have been left there to die, potentially, if it weren't for Laureline. We don't even see Valerian for a good stretch there in the middle of the film. Laureline also plays an important role in the pivotal moment at the end, going against soldierly "protocol", and choosing to break the rules for 'love' (in the most expansive sense of the word) in order to do what is right. In the process, she shows Valerian what love really is.

Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, and John Goodman's voice work were all great.

It is interesting, I kept waiting for the movie to "fall apart", but I felt it became somewhat stronger over time as it became more playful and campy and comfortable with itself. Though clunky, it was never unintelligible. Ultimately, I wish it would be allowed itself to totally embrace the playful, weird, and unearthly.

Overall, it didn't always hit it out of the park, but this was mostly a good and interesting film, and there should be more summer blockbusters like Valerian, so that, as with more standard blockbuster fare, we can be witness to the occasional ones that especially flourish and amaze.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

Completely agree. You nailed what I thought about the characters, and the movie in general. It had its flaws, but damn did it have heart.

And Fifth Element has even more heart than this. Watch it if you haven't already :ph34r:

Additionally, I thought that (spoilers for villain)

Spoiler

The villain had proper motivations. Like his justification for what he did really made sense, he didn't want the Humans to lose their status in the space colony, that would jump them backwards like 800 years in technological advance, so he did what he thought was the best he could do -- cover it up. I thought Clive Owen didn't knock it out of the park all that much, but the writing of his character did. He was hovering in a great morally-grey zone throughout the movie which I very much enjoyed.

I truly am speechless toward the Cara Delevingne backlash on the Internet though. I thought she was great. Not incredible, but she did a good job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Completely agree. You nailed what I thought about the characters, and the movie in general. It had its flaws, but damn did it have heart.

And Fifth Element has even more heart than this. Watch it if you haven't already :ph34r:

Additionally, I thought that (spoilers for villain)

Reveal hidden contents

I truly am speechless toward the Cara Delevingne backlash on the Internet though. I thought she was great. Not incredible, but she did a good job.

Critics are fools. I know they are miscast for a big movie like this, but why bring it up all the time. Give them props for how they managed to do well enough. I mean so many garbage films get fresh rating, but this one is rotten. It's a travesty. 

7 hours ago, YourMother said:

This is getting a China release on August 25th.

horrible release date. So many chinese movies to compete with and then Dunkirk, Apes 3 and SMH back to back. I think it should have released after these movies in the last week of September. 

But I bet Besson begged China to release his film soon before piracy kills it. But we all know he has lost his marbles.

Edited by marveldcfox