Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

3 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Do you think that's funny? I would like to see your (attempted of) joke if it was in the company where you works and they had to make cut of the staff starting with you. uG4fa4t.gif

tumblr_n7ruwrJnWA1smcbm7o1_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Do you think that's funny? I would like to see your (attempted of) joke if it was in the company where you works and they had to make cut of the staff starting with you. uG4fa4t.gif

Yeah, a friend sent me a text yesterday:  "LOL at Valerian's Box Office."  :sadben:

For a Bay film, I'd laugh, as he's had plenty of chances, but for something like Luc Besson and what is fairly original material in the marketplace, it's really disappointing, and will probably be the end of Europacorp as an entity (and yes, Besson will go back to $30 mil movies for the time being...which isn't all bad, but still...).

Hundreds of people work on these things, it's never nice to see one flop so spectacularly...and for independent financing, it's not good news, either.  Regardless of how it was paid for...someone paid for it, and someone's losing big.  And ironically, a failure in this industrial capacity is more problematic for original movies than any major studio failure. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yeah, a friend sent me a text yesterday:  "LOL at Valerian's Box Office."  :sadben:

For a Bay film, I'd laugh, as he's had plenty of chances, but for something like Luc Besson and what is fairly original material in the marketplace, it's really disappointing, and will probably be the end of Europacorp as an entity (and yes, Besson will go back to $30 mil movies for the time being...which isn't all bad, but still...).

Hundreds of people work on these things, it's never nice to see one flop so spectacularly...and for independent financing, it's not good news, either.  Regardless of how it was paid for...someone paid for it, and someone's losing big.  And ironically, a failure in this industrial capacity is more problematic for original movies than any major studio failure. 

Exactly this. It will be difficult to see other big Indies projects like this again. It's sad. People do not understand that goes beyond just "A campy movie making success"

On 7/23/2017 at 7:59 AM, DlAMONDZ said:

John Carter is an underrated classic. Valerian isn't

I enjoyed Carter, it's rather inventive.  It's underrated but it's not a great or even very good movie.  It was undermined with a poor dull male lead (the rest of the main cast was quite good) and needed some judicious cuts to give it more energy and momentum.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
31 minutes ago, Macleod said:

EuropaCorp is fine. They mitigated any losses through presales.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

EuropaCorp is fine. They mitigated any losses through presales.

Like I said...someone paid for it.  In this case, those who bought early distribution globally.  And they paid Europacorp/Besson for the rights.  Either way, people are losing big money invested, and it's ultimately on Europacorp and Besson's reputation, even if they didn't pay for it themselves.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Macleod said:

Like I said...someone paid for it.  In this case, those who bought early distribution globally.  And they paid Europacorp/Besson for the rights.  Either way, people are losing big money invested, and it's ultimately on Europacorp and Besson's reputation, even if they didn't pay for it themselves.

Right but EuropaCorp will still be fine. Everyone who distributes movies knows it's a risky business.

• Like 1

If everyone's always "fine," then what really changes?  There have to be some consequences sometime...for someone.  This is a pretty big failure.  The company was already in trouble, wasn't it?

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Right but EuropaCorp will still be fine. Everyone who distributes movies knows it's a risky business.

Edited by Macleod

• Community Manager
Just now, Macleod said:

If everyone's always "fine," then what really changes?  There have to be some consequences sometime...for someone.  This is a pretty big failure. 

EuropaCorp will probably do smaller projects for a while. Some of the distributors might or might not go out of business. I don't know. 

52 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

CBM especially SH movies are stronger than ever before. Every SH movie this year has been a success, some huge success as well. The top 3 this summer and the only movies to cross 300 this summer are all going to be SH movies. 

2018 promises to be huge with Black Panther, Avenger, The Incredibles, Aquaman and Ant man all coming out. CBM's will be fine

LOL!! :lol: You are new here so I can forgive you answering me as if I'm serious. I intentionally didn't use any emoticons because the statement is full blown irony coming from me.

However, @TalismanRing you liking the reply is a bit of disappointment. You should know what a cheerleader of the CBM I am. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

LOL!! :lol: You are new here so I can forgive you answering me as if I'm serious. I intentionally didn't use any emoticons because the statement is full blown irony coming from me.

However, @TalismanRing you liking the reply is a bit of disappointment. You should know what a cheerleader of the CBM I am. 

Ah lol I did not know that :lol:

And hey likes are always nice to get so get off his case 😜

Edited by ZeeSoh

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-valerian-girls-trip-weekend-box-office-opening-1202132847/amp/

"One film financier pointed out to Deadline that Valerian‘s reported $205M production cost was far too high when it came to starting a new franchise. Breaking down the film’s financing structure is akin to a calculus project, but there’s no upside here for anyone. STXfilms has a distribution fee that’s close to 10% per sources and $5M invested in the film. P&A was largely handled by EuropaCorp because of a lot this — the presence at the Comic-Cons, a one sheet, the first trailer — was overseen by EuropaCorp when it as at RED. They were always on the hook for the bulk of the $60M domestic P&A, I hear. Overseas, each foreign territory handling distribution is on the hook for P&A. Lionsgate has Valerian in the UK and domestic home entertainment."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Euro Corp is on the hook for $60m domestic P&A and they still played ego games with Nolan and WB and refused to move to August when they could have the IMAX screens and far less competition.  WHY????????????

Because everyone under 50 will see Valerian and no one under that demographic will see Dunkirk. Oh wait...

4 hours ago, AJG said:

So STX was actually thinking of moving this to August, but Europacorp said NO. I wonder who!?! Ego is bad. Very bad. Not sure if I should even sympathize. 

Like I had been saying for the past couple of weeks, they should have released it in France, rest of Europe and some other countries before releasing in the US & Canada. The negative buzz and articles on its boxoffice is now spreading like wildfire everywhere. People's mind works in funny way. In today's day and age, the general public want to watch those blockbuster movies that either get great reviews and/or is doing well at the boxoffice. Majority avoid watching a flop because they think it must be a horrible movie. Sad but it's the truth. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Euro Corp is on the hook for $60m domestic P&A and they still played ego games with Nolan and WB and refused to move to August when they could have the IMAX screens and far less competition.  WHY????????????

The french will never learn.

I mean what is the use of such ego? It has always resulted in downfall. I actually want to see what Besson is doing at this moment.

Edited by marveldcfox