37 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Scream

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Being a huge horror fan, I have a lot of reasons to like this movie. It helped bring back the genre and change it at the same time. None of the 3 sequels have come close, but a couple of them were at least decent. I still have the soundtrack for this movie.

So obviously yes I like and enjoy this movie.

A

fmpro, yes there have been 4 now. ;)

Unfortunately I saw the first this year, so when the reveal came, I was pretty underwhelmed. I don't know if it started the trend, because it apparently did kickstart a lot of horror cliches, but watching it after it's been ingrained in pop culture and screenwriting for over a decade, it doesn't work as well as having been in the theatre on opening weekend.Still many admirable points given in the first that I don't watch any horror movies anyway especially what American directors seem to think is horror.

I give this an A just for the wacky characters (Randy and Dewey were my favorites, with Stew close behind) This movie is like half horror, half comedy. I still get get a smile on my face when Tatum was mimiking Sid "I'll send you a copy, bam, bitch went down! Sid, superbitch!" Oh, the good ole times!

Edited by Warhorse

Love this. I remember when this came out I was in 4th or 5th grade and it was such a huge phenomenom, nobody was allowed to see it but we all managed to. And I remember there ended up being copycat killings related to the movie in my area and that made the stigma even cooler. When I was young and I saw it, it was scary. Now it's just entertaining as hell.

• Like 3

And a genre is born.

" I want you to go down to the McKenzie's house and call the police. "

Laurie Strode, from Halloween, Casey's mom, from Scream.

As I have said in my various reviews of horror flicks, I grew up loving horror movies. Everything from the great ones like Halloween, Nightmare 1 and the early Fridays, to even the stupid quirky flicks like The Prey or Sleepaway Camp. There is just something sinister yet fun about an unseen force that tries to kill you for no apparent reason except that you are on his turf. I think Kevin Williamson watched the same films as I did and similarly appreciated them. Because what he has done here is write a film that is an homage to all the great horror films of the last 35 years. He treats all of us fans to great memories of films of years past and he assumes that he has an intelligent audience. There are so many horror movie references here that even I don't quite get all of them, and believe me I have seen a lot of horror films. But not only is the script entertaining, funny and witty, the film is scary. Not as scary as some of the films that it tries to pay homage to, but that's okay. Because you will have so much fun trying to pick out references to your faves that the scare factor is just a bonus. One of the most brilliant parts in the movie is when Randy pauses Halloween and explains the rules of surviving a horror movie if you are a character in it. Not only is it funny, but it so honest and sharp that when you listen to what he says, you realize that he is so right. And that is one of the great pleasures of the film.

I admire a film like this. It's not afraid to take chances and it tries to give all of us former teens that made the genre so popular in the 80's, something to enjoy. I'm not saying that if you are under the age of 25 you cannot enjoy this, but believe me you can enjoy it a whole lot more if you are about 25-40. Because it is us who rented those films way back when. And to understand the references and the homages to films like Halloween ( 1978 ) the original Nightmare (84), the Friday's (80-84) you have to appreciate the films for what they are. And what they were and what they did was entertain and scare the hell out of us 15 and 16 year olds. And to remember that feeling by watching this film is reward enough to me. But then to have the film be so well done is an added bonus.

Wes Craven is the perfect director for this film. I wonder is Williamson ever pitched this to Cunningham or Miner or Carpenter before going to Craven? I guess I am glad that he didn't because I think Craven adds some nice touches to the film. The cast is also brilliant. We all know the major one's involved here but I want to call attention to Mathew Lilliard. His portrayal of Stu is so amazing. He honestly should of received a nomination for best supporting actor. He took his character and added his own twist to him. And because of his tiny idiosyncrasies, he adds so much to the film. A subtle use of the tongue, the facade of hurt just by one of his expressions, a triumphant thrust of the arms, his laugh. They are all forever imprinted in my head as a great character study.

This film started a whole genre on it's own, made a name for Lilliard and most everyone else involved, revitalized Craven's career, made Williamson a millionaire, made horror movies popular again and gave me hours of viewing enjoyment. Not just from this one and its sequel, but it made me go back and watch all the older films that I liked so much.

You should do the same. And try to rediscover what was so fun about horror movie from the 70's and 80's. I have figured it out on a personal level, but have you figured it out on your own level? That is what makes horror films so much fun. Because they mean something different to everyone. Actually that is what makes film in general so profound.

10/10

• Like 5

One of my favorite horror films of all-time. The Scream series might just be my favorite horror series of all-time. 

This one and the forth are my two favorites and it is hard for me to choose which one I like best. 

I would give it an:

A(97)

Oh, and I really hope they make a Scream 5 someday. 

Edited by Empire
  • Like 2

One of the first few horror movies I saw when I was a little kid and watched it many times really good movie I liked the characters for a slasher movie and they are aware of what to do for a horror movie. I also liked the screenplay by Kevin Willamson(whatever happened to him). Overall I really liked this movie since the first time I saw it and is on my top 10 favorite horror movies.grade:A