hasanahmad

4D is coming to Theaters, $8 more. How will this affect BO?

What if an elephant shits in the movie?  Does that mean I have to smell its shit?

The only way i'd ever go see a 4D is if it were a director like Cameron, Cuaron, Spielberg, etc. who were actually trying to use it to make an amazing experience instead of a cheap gimmick (3D it's similar but I am a bit more open to which movies I see it in, I just need to know it isn't going to be a more expensive version that looks worse/the same), even then I'd be overly hesitant and would doubt that those directors would go that far.

How about we keep the movies on the screen, thank you.  I have seen those gimmicky 4D movies before and they are some of the worst theatrical experiences I have ever had. 

• Like 3

What if an elephant shits in the movie?  Does that mean I have to smell its shit?

The only way i'd ever go see a 4D is if it were a director like Cameron, Cuaron, Spielberg, etc. who were actually trying to use it to make an amazing experience instead of a cheap gimmick (3D it's similar but I am a bit more open to which movies I see it in, I just need to know it isn't going to be a more expensive version that looks worse/the same), even then I'd be overly hesitant and would doubt that those directors would go that far.

How about we keep the movies on the screen, thank you.  I have seen those gimmicky 4D movies before and they are some of the worst theatrical experiences I have ever had. 

I avoid 3D, even when its supposedly a "great" 3D movie like Gravity, which I saw in 2D.  I just don't like it at all which makes this 4D thing just sound like a fucking nightmare.  I mean who the hell wants to experience "added various physical effects such as motion, wind, strobe lighting, rain, fog and scent-based elements that coincide with the action on-screen" regardless of the director?

3D, HFR, and now 4D + whatever other crap that will probably come next at some point.... its almost like there are some people in the industry that are intentionally trying to ruin the movie going experience.  Posted Image

Good thing I'm confident that 4D will completely flop in the US though.

• Like 1

I mean who the hell wants to experience "added various physical effects such as motion, wind, strobe lighting, rain, fog and scent-based elements that coincide with the action on-screen" regardless of the director?

Koreans, apparently.

I don't know why people are complaining like this is going to be the downfall of cinema.  It's obviously not going to be as prevalent as 3D, 4D will cost a lot more to install and theater companies aren't going to replace half their screens with 4D suddenly, forcing you to watch it in that format.

4D will likely be pretty rare, like IMAX and it certainly isn't going to replace 2D or 3D. It's just another option for people who are into that thing, and I can see why it would be appealing.

Edited by Frozen Iceroll

I don't know why people are complaining like this is going to be the downfall of cinema.  It's obviously not going to be as prevalent as 3D, 4D will cost a lot more to install and theater companies aren't going to replace half their screens with 4D suddenly, forcing you to watch it in that format.

4D will likely be pretty rare, like IMAX and it certainly isn't going to replace 2D or 3D. It's just another option for people who are into that thing, and I can see why it would be appealing.

James Cameron will make sure his Avatar are in 4D. He needs to make sure he can have the highest grossing movie all time.

• Like 1

They have a specialized version of this 4D at the Moody Gardens down in Galveston. Probably the best venue for this type of thing, since its a theme park with an assortment of attractions. I took my kids to it a year ago. They were showing The Wizard of Oz. It used 3D projection, audio and show control systems along with wind, seat sensors, leg ticklers, scent spray and water misters. It was a 20 minute snippet of the movie for about $10.

During the tornado scene it activated the 'leg tickler' which whipped you in the leg as if debris was hitting you.  Another part was accompanied by the water spraying. The boys liked it but it was definitely not an added value to my movie-going experience. If they want to go see the upcoming Ice Age 4D show, I would take them. But it's certainly something I would not pay for under any other circumstance, though.