Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

24 minutes ago, TMP said:

Can't wait for people to paint Nolan as the bad guy again and continue to simp for big, soulless conglomerates. 

People seem to be using the rationalization that Nolan somehow forced WB to release Tenet at the end of August/early September, thereby making him “complicit” in this. It’s a dumb argument that apparently isn’t even rooted in reality, but the man has had some vocal detractors for years, presumably because some of his fans have been known to be obnoxious. Just look at how Twitter exploded over that dumb chair story from earlier in the year. 

• Like 2

This has become arguably the biggest PR debacle a studio has faced since the Sony hack. This isn't even close to the same level (because that was an international incident that ended up becoming a matter of national security) but the large number of bridges that have been burned means the outcome will likely be the same (getting people to sign on for HBO Max projects will probably be difficult too). Sony had a couple of quiet years that followed before making a comeback recently, the same could happen here since by the time it does they are unlikely to be with AT&T anymore due to limited revenue coming in and will have been sold to someone else who won't try to dump all of their assets in an attempt to boost a poorly planned streaming service.

Edited by filmlover

6 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I feel anyways why many people on the internet are pushing for streaming only is it'll be easier to pirate.

This argument comes back a lot here but it didn't affect Netflix at all.

The prices are low enough to prevent most people from going the piracy route.

I'm part of those pushing for a stronger streaming and it's only for personal convenience, not because I want to pirate (I pay a monthly sub) and not because I want theaters to die (I'm fine with a premiere access or a theatrical exclusivity for a few weeks).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

This argument comes back a lot here but it didn't affect Netflix at all.

The prices are low enough to prevent most people from going the piracy route.

I'm part of those pushing for a stronger streaming and it's only for personal convenience, not because I want to pirate (I pay a monthly sub) and not because I want theaters to die (I'm fine with a premiere access or a theatrical exclusivity for a few weeks).

Netflix and now Disney+ have worldwide distribution. And the very vast majority of their catalogue is not composed of brand new, first run movies. 

Max does not have a presence outside the US and this IS about first run movies. It will open the floodgates to piracy outside the US and if you can't see that, you're just short-sighted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Netflix and now Disney+ have worldwide distribution. And the very vast majority of their catalogue is not composed of brand new, first run movies. 

Max does not have a presence outside the US and this IS about first run movies. It will open the floodgates to piracy outside the US and if you can't see that, you're just short-sighted. 

That's fair, I had forgotten about HBO Max being US only.

Ok I may be wrong here, but from what I read initially, someone's agent said that why are they not treated like Gal and Patty with them receiving their backend deals for WW84.

I think that's what the issue here is. I don't think the people speaking actually care for theaters or anything. Of all, Martin Scorsese ran to Netflix when they gave him $180mn. Same is case with many many other directors and actors. Almost all of them have worked with Netflix.

Make no mistake, streaming is future, only thing holding the theaters is the box office numbers that East gives. It is much much profitable for consumers and producer to go streaming/VOD in West.

So if WB is taking the step in that direction, which they are also gonna offer them films theatrically (which itself need to be praised if theaters are concerned), why are they all acting stupidly.

I know this decision might not give the boost they expected to HBO or may be it will give. For all the directors with their creative juices flowing, they are getting theatrical release, so if anyone want to watch in theater, he will watch it there.

The only valid accusation I have seen so far is the case of Legendary. They deserve to be paid the licensing fee, as they would have received from a 3rd party say Netflix for releasing the film on OTT. Actors if have backend deals, should be paid when the time comes. 

No questions will be taken. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I feel anyways why many people on the internet are pushing for streaming only is it'll be easier to pirate.

Industry should/is pushing to streaming.

Last year Hollywood grossed $32Bn worldwide box office, out of which studios get only $13Bn or so. After deducting the release expense, it would be $10Bn range. Just release not marketing.

Netflix revenue is $25Bn. US only revenue would be 10Bn range.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

Streaming is the future of In-home entertainment, for sure. I have yet to understand why it would have a larger impact on theaters than DVD, Blueray, etc. Really wonder what Disney considers the maximum amount of "subs" to be. I.E. if they get 200 million, surely they know they're close to the top and will need to push elsewhere for expansion.  

Did the ability to watch live concerts on YouTube kill the concert business? Does the ability to watch live sports on TV kill sports attendance? Theaters were overbuilt and overdue for correction, but to act they're going away is insane. Consumer behavior shows they're too popular. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Streaming is the future of In-home entertainment, for sure. I have yet to understand why it would have a larger impact on theaters than DVD, Blueray, etc. Really wonder what Disney considers the maximum amount of "subs" to be. I.E. if they get 200 million, surely they know they're close to the top and will need to push elsewhere for expansion.  

Did the ability to watch live concerts on YouTube kill the concert business? Does the ability to watch live sports on TV kill sports attendance? Theaters were overbuilt and overdue for correction, but to act they're going away is insane. Consumer behavior shows they're too popular. 

theaters will largely be dead for non-tentpole films in the future unless you live in a major city

• Like 2

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

Disney during its investor Day said it was aiming for 240-260M subs by 2024 (I assume that is a worldwide number).

Based on what came out of that day my impression of Disney's long term plan is that if you take the 17-20 movies per year they had been doing, I think the big tentpoles (probably 7-8 per yr) - Marvel, SW, the occasional Pixar and WDA will go to Cinema. The next tier are more likely to become same day releases with premium access in Disney+ (that's probably abother 6-8 movies) and then everything else goes straight to one of their streaming platforms - Disney+, Hulu, etc.

• Like 2