Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see how anyone could bother getting excited in DC’s 2023 slate if we know they’re just going to throw everything away. It’s Dark Phoenix all over again, except the movies maybe won’t be as bad. 

I mean, The Batman did fine...

The worst part about all this is all of the “what’s the point in Shazam 2/Aquaman 2/Blue Beetle” takes that I keep seeing online as if a film NEEDS to be tangentially related to another film in order to matter. Not every film needs to be connected to an MCU style wider universe in order to matter. Shazam only had passing references to the DCEU (that weren’t plot relevant), and it’s still a fun movie. You can still enjoy these upcoming films as standalone stories.

Personally I prefer the stand-alone films these days, as much as I like most of the MCU films, I find it annoying how they seem to have trained a generation of audiences to expect everything to be connected or there’s “no point”.

• Like 9

But those movies are ACTUALLY connected. It's true we can enjoy them for what they are, but I can't help but ask what the point is since there's nothing to look forward to after that. It's like an abrupt end. Having said this, I'll still give the movies a chance.

17 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

It's time for Captain Britain 

It is going to happen on Disney + ' a Captain Carter series has been announced.

And I am predicting they will go for a relative unknown as the new Supes, somebody nobody here has mentined.

Edited by dudalb

19 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

But those movies are ACTUALLY connected. It's true we can enjoy them for what they are, but I can't help but ask what the point is since there's nothing to look forward to after that. It's like an abrupt end. Having said this, I'll still give the movies a chance.

Connected to what though? What big overarching storyline are they leading to that’s been abruptly ended? It’s not like the MCU when it was heading towards Avengers movies with big events. It’s been 4 years since I watched Aquaman, but aside from featuring a character that was in Justice League, I can’t actually remember it having any particular ties to any other DC films. You could easily watch, understand and enjoy Aquaman without any prior knowledge of Justice League. If you didn’t know JL, BvS and MoS existed, you wouldn’t even know it was connected. Likewise with Shazam.

The Flash is another thing though, that obviously has ties. If there’s a lame duck with a plot that’s not going to go anywhere due to all this, it’s The Flash.

12 hours ago, Macleod said:

Only hardcore DC fans care that "every movie fits together in a universe."  Most of the general audience just wants to be entertained by the characters they grew up with in cartoons.  That's the simple truth.  If the movies look good, if the trailers hit, people will go see them, period.  Which is why, I'm sure, that Warner Bros. is really taking their time making a slam-bang trailer for THE FLASH.  

On your last point, I'm betting that these kinds of discussions were had waaaay back when Gunn/Safran first met with Zaslav and initially got the job.  I'm sure Zaslav and the top Warner Execs had certain mandates.  I think Gunn/Safran realize they need to be objective, and might need to Reboot EVERYTHING in order to have a clean slate.  Their friends can have bit parts in the new setup, but almost none of the original key roles can remain.  Peacemaker S2 still isn't in production...is it?  😉

I think they're flushing the whole thing...and cleaning the toilet.  😁

And this is exactly what Gunn means by "We're not going to make everyone happy."  

32 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The worst part about all this is all of the “what’s the point in Shazam 2/Aquaman 2/Blue Beetle” takes that I keep seeing online as if a film NEEDS to be tangentially related to another film in order to matter. Not every film needs to be connected to an MCU style wider universe in order to matter. Shazam only had passing references to the DCEU (that weren’t plot relevant), and it’s still a fun movie. You can still enjoy these upcoming films as standalone stories.

Personally I prefer the stand-alone films these days, as much as I like most of the MCU films, I find it annoying how they seem to have trained a generation of audiences to expect everything to be connected or there’s “no point”.

Hmm I don’t know if I agree with all of this. 

It’s bad press, for a start. It’s not about it being part of a bigger universe, it’s just the probability that: these four films were in the can before the changes and firings and they’ll likely never get sequels. Even the direct or stand alone ones, if they’re wiping the slate clean. 

They’re not getting rid of Batman and Superman and keeping the same actors for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. 

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Connected to what though? What big overarching storyline are they leading to that’s been abruptly ended? It’s not like the MCU when it was heading towards Avengers movies with big events. It’s been 4 years since I watched Aquaman, but aside from featuring a character that was in Justice League, I can’t actually remember it having any particular ties to any other DC films. You could easily watch, understand and enjoy Aquaman without any prior knowledge of Justice League. If you didn’t know JL, BvS and MoS existed, you wouldn’t even know it was connected. Likewise with Shazam.

The Flash is another thing though, that obviously has ties. If there’s a lame duck with a plot that’s not going to go anywhere due to all this, it’s The Flash.

I understand that. I am speaking as someone who knows they are in the same universe. Supes was supposed to be in THE FLASH. And so was BATMAN amd maybe WONDER WOMAN in AQUAMAN: THE LOST KINGDOM. Superman was also in BLACK ADAM recently, but we know what's going to happen with that. But because of recent developments, these cameos are being planned to be deleted in those movies.

Again, just like what I said, you can watch the movies like they're standalone ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

It is going to happen on Disney + ' a Captain Carter series has been announced.

No it has not, dude, what are you smoking??  Rumors aren't official announcements. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

They’re not getting rid of Batman and Superman and keeping the same actors for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. 

Exactly.  Hold that thought until January...  Anyway, like I said...if the movies look good, people will see them.  And so will many people here in this forum. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I’m watching the movies cause I’m a dc fan, if you’re not watching them cause they don’t connect to something bigger that’s fine as well but I don’t think most people care as long as the movie is good. 

I agree with the last part of this but tbf the “as long as” is a real open question.

57 minutes ago, Macleod said:

No it has not, dude, what are you smoking??  Rumors aren't official announcements. 

Exactly.  Hold that thought until January...  Anyway, like I said...if the movies look good, people will see them.  And so will many people here in this forum. 

We’ll see soon enough. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised with big drops worldwide for both Aquaman and Shazam and I think Flash will be one of the costliest bombs of the whole year.