Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

Arrival and Prisoners are my least favorite Villeneuves easily. I'm all about Enemy and Sicario, maybe not a coincidence that his heavy portentous tone combined the subject matter in both fills them with so much dread they're practically horror movies at times. Polytechnique his French-Canadian black-and-white drama about a school shooting is really good too, avoids pretty much all of the traps it could easily fall into.

I still have Maelstrom and Incendies to see. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

AMPAS

Inception - best picture, best original script

memento - best original script

BAFTA

Inception - picture, director, script

GG

memento - picture (drama), script

inception - director, script

Indie Spirit

memento - feature, director, script

DGA

memento

TDK

inception

PGA

TDK

inception

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Christopher_Nolan

Now remind me which Villeneuve movie crossed 200 worldwide? ;)

Thats cute.

Edited by The Panda

54 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This certainly looks incredibly pretty and atmospheric but I'm not sold tbh. The original is obviously as influential and purty as it gets but outside of Harrison Ford's charisma and the Tears in The Rain speech that movie bores me to tears, and I'd like to think I'm not a dummie who can't understand it. It feels like it's empty and emotionless and people have replaced that over the years with "thoughtful" and "meditative." This looks like a more complicated and overwrought version. Also controversial opinion as someone who loved Sicario/Prisoners I thought Arrival was kinda ass so I'm not as thrilled to see dude do sci-fi again. Arrival to me was a dumb movie trying very hard to be smart, and when you combine that with Blade Runner, I mean...

But anyway, glad people like it and stuff. 

Harrison Ford is the least potent part of the masterpiece that is Blade Runner. What makes that film one of the best of *all time* is not that it has something profound to say (rarely a movie ever does) or convey. No, what makes it so special, is the sublime representation of mood, feelings, impressions. The film is lyrical, poetic, and stark. It creates a canvas where the bittersweet nature of essential human solitude and finitude is painted in a pure form. On top of its glorious visual language, the soundtrack further solidifies the film's almost absolute sublimity. I'm not joking, it almost brings me to tears every time I watch it. 

• Like 1

As I've already stated like 30 times, I honestly didn't like the first that much, but man, this looks so damn good. Looks like why you go to the movies. Since people said this looks like GITS, I went back and watched that trailer and nope. GITS looked much more amateurish. Even the future cities looked different.

I'm excited for this. Will it set the BO on fire? I don't know, it's possible. The first adjusts to $82m and it's grown a cult following, so an audience is there. It's up to the GA to get on board. With Warner's marketing and knack for hyping properties, I think it's possible. I mean they did just make Kong open like $20 million higher than it was thought to.

And for all you trailer view, stat nerds, the trailer is still the #1 trend on Twitter. I gave the trailer another view late last night and it was at 3 million. It's up to 5.6 million now.

Also, Ana de Armas, phew.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jandrew said:

And for all you trailer view, stat nerds, the trailer is still the #1 trend on Twitter. I gave the trailer another view late last night and it was at 3 million. It's up to 5.6 million now.

Image result for jeb wins

I still think people are overestimating this movie a bit. A less frontloaded Prometheus is what I'm thinking right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I still think people are overestimating this movie a bit. A less frontloaded Prometheus is what I'm thinking right now.

What are people predicting? Because I haven't seen many.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Arrival and Prisoners are my least favorite Villeneuves easily. I'm all about Enemy and Sicario, maybe not a coincidence that his heavy portentous tone combined the subject matter in both fills them with so much dread they're practically horror movies at times. Polytechnique his French-Canadian black-and-white drama about a school shooting is really good too, avoids pretty much all of the traps it could easily fall into.

I still have Maelstrom and Incendies to see. 

Incendies is fantastic. My favorite of his, along with Enemy.

Maelstrom is his worst by quite a margin.

Edited by Goffe

There is absolutely nothing in that trailer that hints to me this is another Ghost in the Shell or especially a (lol) Total Recall/Robocop remake.  None of those movies ever looked any good to me from their trailers.

Sure, this one will probably have a little more action than the first one did, but its not gonna turn into a dumb action romp.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

There is absolutely nothing in that trailer that hints to me this is another Ghost in the Shell or especially a (lol) Total Recall/Robocop remake.  None of those movies ever looked any good to me from their trailers.

Sure, this one will probably have a little more action than the first one did, but its not gonna turn into a dumb action romp.

This looks genuinely major league on all levels. Cinematography, direction, acting, cast, score, everything seems on song. 

Also, notice the obvious but not jarring difference in the styles between Villeuneve and Scott. Scott's style is more claustrophobic while Villeuneve's is more minimalist. The one structural difference between this one and the original, maybe that this will have a bit more mystery in its plot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jandrew said:

As I've already stated like 30 times, I honestly didn't like the first that much, but man, this looks so damn good. Looks like why you go to the movies. Since people said this looks like GITS, I went back and watched that trailer and nope. GITS looked much more amateurish. Even the future cities looked different.

I'm excited for this. Will it set the BO on fire? I don't know, it's possible. The first adjusts to $82m and it's grown a cult following, so an audience is there. It's up to the GA to get on board. With Warner's marketing and knack for hyping properties, I think it's possible. I mean they did just make Kong open like $20 million higher than it was thought to.

Also, Ana de Armas, phew.

Fault anything you want about Ghost in The Shell, God knows this board and everyone else buried the crap out of it, but it did look great on the big screen.

This also looks great of course and while it does remind me of Ghost in the Shell's looks this still feels different from that to me, a bit more nostalgic perhaps? Not sure, I just felt some sort of anachronism going on when watching this trailer I guess.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1