#ED

Are You A "Nolanite"?

What is a "Nolanite"? Generally, it's assumed to be someone who thinks that Nolan can do no wrong. Who blindly excepts that whatever he does ,or makes is going to be brilliant and a stroke of genius. They are people who believe that Nolan has single-handedly saved the 'Batman' franchise and forever established a precedent that ALL film-makers tasked with the responsibly of helming a CBM must aspire to.

He's the man who brought 'realism ' to the CBM genre- the 'Godfather', if you will, to serious CBM production. No longer is cheesy, pandering film-making a norm in the CBM film world, no, Nolan showed the industry , nay the WORLD how it's really done!

Realistically let's face it, Nolan has yet to make a stinker. Spielberg, Cameron, Lucas, Ridley Scott, Scorsese, Coppala, etc. they all made less than respectable films- forgettable in the least(however, they all made more).

But Nolan, not so.

The Following (76% RT)

Insomnia (93% RT)

Memento (92% RT)

Batman Begins (85% RT)

The Prestige (76% RT)

The Dark Knight (94% RT)

Incepcion (86% RT)

The Dark Knight Rises (87% RT)

Realistically, if you liked all these movies, you will be called a Nolanite. You may not think they are all amazing movies but if you believe not one of those films are "bad", you will be labeled a Nolanite. If this is the case, fuck it.

I'm a Nolanite.

Edited by Christmas ED
  • Like 1

I agree. However on this forum, if you liked TDKR, you're labeled a Nolanite. Makes no sense to me.

Trying to make sense of something an internet form is like not scoring at a whore house. Edited by DAR

I only worship at one cinema altar and that is the altar for the Church of the Galaxy Far Far Away.So while I think Nolan has yet to make a mediocre or worse film, I am not a Nolanite. For me he has simply not hit his speedbump yet, though films like Insomnia and TDKR do have a fair share of potholes. I think The Prestige is his best effort to-date and BB his best Batman outing.

• Like 2

I probably was a nolanite for a very short time during a month after the release of TDK, and I anticipated very few films to an extent I anticipated Inception, but I certainly saw flaws in both films and it took me one time to see TDKR to consider it Nolan's first bad film. I will say that Memento is one of my all-time favorite films, and I'll defend Nolan from any elitist types who regard him and his success with contempt (I know a few of such people personally), but I'm not a nolanite. I understand why his work would provoke such an enthusiastic response in many people, but I simply consider him a very gifted and talented filmmaker with both strengths and weaknesses.The only contemporary filmmaker who I'm an absolute unabashed fan of (meaning I love every single one of his movies to death) is Quentin Tarantino, but that's a matter of another discussion.

Edited by Jake Gittes

I`m not a Nolanite because I think TDKR is dumb as fuck, his first stupid movie ever.But I respect Nolanites. I don`t respect Jacksonites because the person they worship is a sad sack of potatoes with no balls and his movies are worse than Nolan`s for sure. TDKR is pretty bad, IMO, but not a turkey footlong like TLB.

• Like 3

The Following (Still haven't seen)

Memento (10/10)

Insomnia (8/10)

Batman Begins (10/10)

The Prestige (7/10)

The Dark Knight (11/10)

Inception (10/10)

The Dark Knight Rises (9/10)

I like all of the movies I've seen and he's made my favorite film of all time, but since I haven't seen all of his movies, I guess I don't quite cut it as a "Nolanite". ;)

He makes big, sloppy, viscerally effective movies. He came closest to perfection with Inception and has breached the area multiple times (elements of TDK, Memento, Prestige, etc). I'm a huge fan, though I really would like him to go smaller and more personal with his movies. Just because he can get all the money he wants now doesn't mean he needs to go bigger.