DAR

Disney's Pete's Dragon | August 12, 2016

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

$60m budget is super low for Disney, who love to overspend. This might actually make a profit now!

Into the Woods cost $50M to make. This has no high-paying stars and the only costly production value is the CGI for the dragon so the budget seems reasonable.

• Like 1

The original Pete's Dragon isn't a classic in comparison to say Mary Poppins and I imagine they're not expecting huge numbers OS so $60m plus a reasonable market spend means it can make its budget back and then some with a $150-200m WW total

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So if it did $150ish like I'm thinking, that would probably be similar to the original's adjusted gross. 

I imagine Disney would be overjoyed if it $150m although is that domestic or worldwide? 

ASSOCIATED PRESS - Jake Coyle

After an exhausting summer buffet of set pieces, superheroes and whatever s-word you might use for "Suicide Squad," the gentle "Pete's Dragon" is a welcome palate cleanser. Where other summer movies are chest-thumping, it's quiet; where others are brashly cynical, it's sweetly sincere; where others are lacking in giant cuddly dragons, "Pete's Dragon" has one.

:lol:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Well, it looks like it will do well on its budget.  Good for Disney.  Personally, it would look better to me if the dragon wasn't fuzzy, but maybe it is needed for the 'cuddly dragon' part.  Not to mention it feeds right into merchandising, which I suspect Disney has not overlooked.

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Weirdly, I don't think i've seen any recent merchandise for it. Even the Disney Store just has the old movie.

I wouldn't be against buying a cuddly dragon.

They just release new Tsum Tsums but it does look like Elliot from the animated film with it's pink scales and wings

Petes-Dragon-Elliot-Tsum-Tsum-Front.jpg

Petes-Dragon-Elliot-Tsum-Tsum-Top.jpg