A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

2016 hasn't panned out for Pratt like people expected huh?

Can't judge his performance in Passengers since I haven't seen the movie. But Jurassic World was already more than half way in convincing me that his charms and actings would be way better utilized in roles like Star-Lord and far away from the self-serious/stoic types. Nothing wrong with that. Still like him a lot.

well, Magnificent 7 was Denzel movie but boxoffice showed that Pratt presence didn't expand the appeal beyond Denzel fandom (older crowd). So that's a one against his star power.

Passengers is yet to open. One can argue that opening a turd is a bigger proof of star power, or even the only real proof, than opening a critical hit since star's name defies recommendations to skip the movie and save money. We'll see but I'm leaning in favor of that he isn't all that he's been hyped to be thanks to lucking out with franchises.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sam said:

2016 hasn't panned out for Pratt like people expected huh?

Can't judge his performance in Passengers since I haven't seen the movie. But Jurassic World was already more than half way in convincing me that his charms and actings would be way better utilized in roles like Star-Lord and far away from the self-serious/stoic types. Nothing wrong with that. Still like him a lot.

I think you're right — he doesn't seem to wear serious characters well. He's a jokey fratboy at heart.

I expect his agents are looking for more comedic roles for him as we speak.

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Opening a critically panned movie is a bigger test of starpower of course. It's very easy to open an Oscar frontrunner or acclaimed blockbuster.

Of course, just ask Melissa McCarthy (whose movies outside of the Paul Feig vehicles have typically been met with poor reviews).

Granted, it's probably easier to open a poorly-reviewed comedy to solid numbers than it is a poorly-reviewed action movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think you're right — he doesn't seem to wear serious characters well. He's a jokey fratboy at heart.

I expect his agents are looking for more comedic roles for him as we speak.

Quite surprise that since his Star-Lord breakout that he hasn't star in a straight up comedy or even rom-com yet. I think he'd be perfect in the right roles for those genres.

Maybe serious can work for him, but only in small doses like in Zero Dark Thirty (which is to say, not much at all really)

41 minutes ago, Sam said:

...as what old man Tele been saying, he's just simply not right/out of his depth for this genre and settings.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Shades of Joe Wright and Pan.

Stanley Donen made SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, without question one of the greatest, most entertaining, and purely fun movies ever to come out of the Hollywood system.

....he also made SATURN 3, one of the worst movies of all time. Science-fiction can be tricky for some filmmakers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

Quite surprise that since his Star-Lord breakout that he hasn't star in a straight up comedy or even rom-com yet. I think he'd be perfect in the right roles for those genres.

Maybe serious can work for him, but only in small doses like in Zero Dark Thirty (which is to say, not much at all really)

Pratt's affable charisma and hunky-but-down-to-earth good looks would make him perfect for a rom com (provided they found the right actress who had good chemistry with him). I am also surprised that he has not done a movie along the lines of How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days  or Hitch yet.

Edited by Cochofles

This kind of reminds me of The Tourist with a foreign director looking to make his big mainstream break and faltering. That movie tbf was bailed out at the box office overseas but still put FHvD out of commission for awhile and he's just now finishing his next (German) film.

Edited by tribefan695