John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

AC never had a chance FWIW. Marketing was just as bad as any other video game flop.

The video game movie seems like a cursed genre. Maybe a good thing though. Leave the video games in their own medium where they can drag it out over many hours of gameplay instead of trying to cram everything into 2 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The video game movie seems like a cursed genre. Maybe a good thing though. Leave the video games in their own medium where they can drag it out over many hours of gameplay instead of trying to cram everything into 2 hours.

Well I think it's a terrible thing because there are several worthwhile potential films, imo. But I don't think the video game adaptation is ever treated with much real respect in the filmmaking process. 

Cannot imagine a more hellish logline for a film than "talking animals meets American Idol" but that's just me

Seems particularly poor for Passengers / the rare occurrence for a tentpole where reviews probably mattered a lot

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well it's a part of the game, so...

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. But still, a big reason, if not the reason, video game movies fail is because they're two different mediums that tell their stories two different ways. Everyone wants a GTA movie, but condensing a GTA storyline into movie form wouldn't do it justice. Same with Call of Duty. Modern Warfare 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and it would make a bomb ass movie - if it was stretched out into maybe 4 films. And I wouldn't want 4 movies of that, I'd rather just play the game.

So if you're gonna make an Assassin's Creed movie, or any video game movie, what do you need to do? Simplify the story and make it it's own, rather than try to literally adapt the game for the screen and cram in every single plot point into 2 hours of film, which is what everyone does and why each of these movies fail. Uncharted would've been the same way. I'm not holding my breathe with Tomb Raider until I see otherwise. There's too much focus on making an "epic" rather than just making a good movie.

People are gonna go see AC for the 1400's asskicking action anyway, so even if the Source Code nonsense is in the game, you can easily cut it all out and give 110 minutes of Medieval Spanish parkour asskicking. Mold it for the screen and add in some new, more relatable elements to attract a bigger audience. It's not hard.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Cannot imagine a more hellish logline for a film than "talking animals meets American Idol" but that's just me

That's exactly how I described it to my mom last night. My aunt is dying to see Sing, I'm pretty sure for that exact reason.

6 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Seems particularly poor for Passengers / the rare occurrence for a tentpole where reviews probably mattered a lot

The 5-day should still be around $30M which seems fine enough. But yeah, it does raise questions of how much a JLaw/Pratt film would've done had it actually been appealing.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Show of Hands.

Who guessed that Why Him? would be receiving better reviews than Passengers, Live By Night or even Assassin's Creed ?

They should have opened Fences on Wed instead of saving it for Saturday.  I wonder it's it's 2 day opening will be higher than AC's 3 day?

The only one that shocked me was Live By Night. Then again I didn't see any trailers for it or anything so just assumed that because it was directed by Affleck it would be. 

Passengers looked more awful with every trailer/preview they dropped. And AC is just a tragic mess. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The 5-day should still be around $30M which seems fine enough. But yeah, it does raise questions of how much a JLaw/Pratt film would've done had it actually been appealing.

Dragon Tattoo opened with a $5m Wed and did $27.8m over the 6 day and that was with far better reviews.   So the question is - can "star power" off set reviews and get it a better multiplier?

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

The only one that shocked me was Live By Night. Then again I didn't see any trailers for it or anything so just assumed that because it was directed by Affleck it would be. 

Passengers looked more awful with every trailer/preview they dropped. And AC is just a tragic mess. 

But have you seen the tragically unfunny trailer for Why Him?  I love Cranston but god it looks awful.

5 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. But still, a big reason, if not the reason, video game movies fail is because they're two different mediums that tell their stories two different ways. Everyone wants a GTA movie, but condensing a GTA storyline into movie form wouldn't do it justice. Same with Call of Duty. Modern Warfare 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and it would make a bomb ass movie - if it was stretched out into maybe 4 films. And I wouldn't want 4 movies of that, I'd rather just play the game.

So if you're gonna make an Assassin's Creed movie, or any video game movie, what do you need to do? Simplify the story and make it it's own, rather than try to literally adapt the game for the screen and cram in every single plot point into 2 hours of film, which is what everyone does and why each of these movies fail. Uncharted would've been the same way. I'm not holding my breathe with Tomb Raider until I see otherwise. There's too much focus on making an "epic" rather than just making a good movie.

People are gonna go see AC for the 1400's asskicking action anyway, so even if the Source Code nonsense is in the game, you can easily cut it all out and give 110 minutes of Medieval Spanish parkour asskicking. Mold it for the screen and add in some new, more relatable elements to attract a bigger audience. It's not hard.

Tomb Raider is a sure bomb. Unknown director and writers with Vikander in place of Angelina Jolie. It is doomed.