John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

DCEU kills MCU here. Rogue One got wrecked by Fantastic Beasts. The Jungle Book only did a bit more than The Legend of Tarzan. They are just bad at their job here. No excuses.

See a common pattern here? Warner. Warner in Iberia are a scary, mean machine. They are on another planet when compared to other Hollywood studios when they release in Spain/Portugal. WB has an intricate web of local partnerships that Disney just lacks or has never been interested in developing. For example, Warner often invests in Spanish and Portuguese films. Disney never does that (they understandably are very protective of their brand). The result is that WB finds himself sitting at the same table with lots of actors (local distributors, local media groups, etc...) that will be necessary partners when WB releases its own films. I.e. they had a joint venture with NOS/Lusomundo, which is one of your largest media conglomerates - and they are still partners. WB Iberia are famously ruthless operators, too, when negotiating with theaters. At the very least Spanish theater owners HATE Warner.

SS was the top superhero film in Spain this year. BvS the second. Although Jungle Book did better than both, because family films do just better than anything here in Spain (SLOP was the top foreign film this year).

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 4

So Moonlight has about 2 showtimes a day for a few days in a theater about 40 minutes from where I am staying.  Manchester by the Sea is also playing around me, so I will for sure catch that one before the 30th.  

Tomorrow might be my only chance to catch Moonlight, because Fences will likely replace it there.  Trying to decide if it'll be worth it or not.

9 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

See a common pattern here? Warner. Warner in Iberia are a scary, mean machine. They are on another planet when compared to other Hollywood studios when they release in Spain/Portugal. WB has an intricate web of local partnerships that Disney just lacks or has never been interested in developing. For example, Warner often invests in Spanish and Portuguese films. Disney never does that (they understandably are very protective of their brand). The result is that WB finds himself sitting at the same table with lots of actors (local distributors, local media groups, etc...) that will be necessary partners when WB releases its own films. I.e. they had a joint venture with NOS/Lusomundo, which is one of your largest media conglomerates - and they are still partners. WB Iberia are famously ruthless operators, too, when negotiating with theaters. At the very least Spanish theater owners HATE Warner.

SS was the top superhero film in Spain this year. BvS the second. Although Jungle Book did better than both, because family films do just better than anything here in Spain (SLOP was the top foreign film this year).

I think they (Disney) maybe learn, see doing local movie distribution in South America and Italy too. Also they took over in too many countries too fastly I think, it takes time to develop connections and so on, but also to build up goof teams with a good feel for local language (some translation problems,... too) and humour and local preferences.... I think they have a bit difficulty to understand the varying countries special temperaments/traditions/POVs... still

23 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

SLOP was our top movie too. SS was the top superhero movie here too, followed by Deadpool and BvS. Family movies also do super well here, Jungle Book simply didn't had a very good marketing campaign. Disney is never interested in bringing big portuguese names to voice their movies. All other distributors do that here. Sing's cast is EVERYONE from the The Voice Portugal, for example, and they had massive promo during the show. Moana? Yeah, lol, not even one recognizable name (same with Jungle Book). Trolls had two big names promoting the damn thing EVERYWHERE. Pets had an insane voice cast, and Storks had only one big name, but that big name did all he could to push it, and since he is a big name in our most listened radio, Storks got an insane push in there with Radio Spots all the time. I never hear Disney Radio Spots either. They don't give a fuck. All they do is 5 seconds TV Spots and some promo on the streets. Fantastic Beasts opened 33% above Rogue One here. That is insane.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

So Moonlight has about 2 showtimes a day for a few days in a theater about 40 minutes from where I am staying.  Manchester by the Sea is also playing around me, so I will for sure catch that one before the 30th.  

Tomorrow might be my only chance to catch Moonlight, because Fences will likely replace it there.  Trying to decide if it'll be worth it or not.

I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1

In a show of the staying power of “Rogue One,” the newcomers all took a hit on Thursday with “Sing” sliding 18% to an estimated $9 million, “Passengers” falling 28% to $3 million, and “Assassin’s Creed” tumbling 46% to $2.5 million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-rogue-one-sing-passengers-assassins-creed-2-1201947585/

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

In a show of the staying power of “Rogue One,” the newcomers all took a hit on Thursday with “Sing” sliding 18% to an estimated $9 million, “Passengers” falling 28% to $3 million, and “Assassin’s Creed” tumbling 46% to $2.5 million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-rogue-one-sing-passengers-assassins-creed-2-1201947585/

Why don't you start a Thursday numbers thread? 

P.S. Yikes, that's awful for AC. 

25 minutes ago, CJohn said:

SLOP was our top movie too. SS was the top superhero movie here too, followed by Deadpool and BvS. Family movies also do super well here, Jungle Book simply didn't had a very good marketing campaign. Disney is never interested in bringing big portuguese names to voice their movies. All other distributors do that here. Sing's cast is EVERYONE from the The Voice Portugal, for example, and they had massive promo during the show. Moana? Yeah, lol, not even one recognizable name (same with Jungle Book). Trolls had two big names promoting the damn thing EVERYWHERE. Pets had an insane voice cast, and Storks had only one big name, but that big name did all he could to push it, and since he is a big name in our most listened radio, Storks got an insane push in there with Radio Spots all the time. I never hear Disney Radio Spots either. They don't give a fuck. All they do is 5 seconds TV Spots and some promo on the streets.

Yeah, same here. No celeb cast for Moana/Vaiana, lots of very popular Spanish celebs for Sing. Storks also got the celeb treatment. Disney never does it. Dreamworks used to do it but they have cut down in celeb casts since their films started grossing less and less. OTOH the professional voice actors Disney uses usually produce a higher quality dub, but yeah, less marketing potential.

Heck, back in the time Disney didn't even BOTHER with dubbing their films for Spain. They just released the Latin-America dub which sounds really weird/funny to our ears.  

Edited by Celedhring