baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

Titanic's shoot was...tumultuous (lengthy, injuries, fifty people hospitalized after on-set food was drugged with hallucinogens) and every other blockbuster wannabe didn't cost $200M or even $100M back then. The budget was really considered extravagant but almost in a decadent way, a symptom of all that was wrong with Hollywood. There was sizeable skepticism that Cameron, well known for futuristic sci-fi action films, could do justice to a historical romantic drama. The media figured Titanic would be another "most expensive movie ever made" like  Waterworld or Cleopatra that would be a critical and commercial flop.

Leo and Kate on the red carpet before the Golden Globes:

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

Well at my high school today I just heard a group of girls during my class talk about this,JFK jr, and graduation. I didn't really care about their conversation besides graduation I just want out. Anyway after school is done I'm gonna go to Blockbuster video and rent some movies.

• Like 1

I hate Cameron. Why did he abandon his sci fi fans for this crappy romantic tripe? The only reason this is such a phenom is stupid teenage girls and their love for heartthrobs. I mean, any film can be a smash if it stars a teen dreamboat and teenage girls see the film 20 times each. I am done with Cameron, and I know plenty of his action/sci fi fans are too. I guarantee you that, once Titanic mania is over, his next film will flop and he will be laughed off Hollywood. Heck, I bet his next film will be such a flop, that whatever the name of the film is, it will be used as a synonym for gigantic financial failures, e.g., "I totally Heaven's Gated my future by investing in that business!"

Edited by cochofles

I hate Cameron. Why did he abandon his sci fi fans for this crappy romantic tripe? The only reason this is such a phenom is stupid teenage girls and their love for heartthrobs. I mean, any film can be a smash if it stars a teen dreamboat and teenage girls see the film 20 times each. I am done with Cameron, and I know plenty of his action/sci fi fans are too. I guarantee you that, once Titanic mania is over, his next film will flop and he will be laughed off Hollywood. Heck, I bet his next film will be such a flop, that whatever the name of the film is, it will be used as a synonym for gigantic financial failures, e.g., "I totally Heaven's Gated my future by investing in that business!"

Lol! I can only imagine what his next film will be likely. Maybe Smurfs crossed with Dances With Wolves. How utterly absurd.

I hope they keep George Clooney for Batman 5, he was freaking great in Batman & Robin.

Schumacher says he is contracted to close his trilogy.

They better not have Madonna play Harley Quinn; bitch can't act to save her life. I'd love to see the role played by a real actress, like, Jennifer Love Hewitt or Cameron Diaz.

Lol! I can only imagine what his next film will be likely. Maybe Smurfs crossed with Dances With Wolves. How utterly absurd.

That would be messed up! And you know, since he has had such success with chick-flicky crapola like Titanic, I bet Cameron will try to shoehorn in some fucking pointless romance in his next film, which will make it flop even more. I am sure of this.

One thing's certain: there's no way that Cameron's next film comes even close to the success of Titanic. Lightning just doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

I miss the days when people would hate on Titanic for the most nonsensical reasons. I knew someone in college who hated the movie with a passion just because they ruined the shot of the man falling and hitting the propeller on the way down in the previews. lmao

Or my favorite excuse for the movie being so popular: teenage girls seeing it a million times because Leo was so dreamy. Oh really, then where was that Backstreet Boys movie? That would've been almost as big as Titanic using that line of thinking.

• Like 1

That would be messed up! And you know, since he has had such success with chick-flicky crapola like Titanic, I bet Cameron will try to shoehorn in some fucking pointless romance in his next film, which will make it flop even more. I am sure of this.

One thing's certain: there's no way that Cameron's next film comes even close to the success of Titanic. Lightning just doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

Cameron got lucky with Titanic. His next film will be lucky to make Abyss numbers.

Well at my high school today I just heard a group of girls during my class talk about this,JFK jr, and graduation. I didn't really care about their conversation besides graduation I just want out. Anyway after school is done I'm gonna go to Blockbuster video and rent some movies.

School is still in session for you guys? Jeez. My school ended June 6.

Warner s Batman are killing at the BO even if B&R disappointed let s be honest, maybe they will reboot it with Roland Emmerich or something ...

I hope Nicolas Cage & Tim Burton s Superman will work out, could be cool.

Marvel is still in limbo, doing nothing with their heroes.

Spiderman s rights are still in procedural hell, I think they re trying the Blade character with Wesley Snipes and Fox seems to be developing X Men.

Next thing you know Marvel will take their low tier characters and make them worldwide brands.

Problem : nothing is bigger than Superman, Batman & Spiderman. X Men have a chance I guess ...Hulk maybe.