filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

Changing the release date was stupid. I never understand why studios do that a week or two before a movies release; especially when the tv spots and theater adverts still have the original date.

Paramount changed it because it worked very well with GI Joe. But GI Joe moved to Thursday 3 weeks before his release, not 1 week!

• Like 1

I remember when WB pulled this last minute extended weekend move on Batman Begins and Superman Returns. That effected their openings. Did no one else see this coming????

Honestly don't get why some are stunned by this #. Its perfectly fine given the circumstances. Now if this was Thursday's midnight # (and there was no move), then yes I would say "PANIC!"

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

What the hell was the point of changing the release date in the first place, exactly? Stupid, stupid choice. At least it made since for Hangover. Anyway, as been said already, but we can't judge Trek until Friday

• Like 1

The people that'd see this at midnight or OD would be the hardcore Trekkie's anyway, so I'd think most of them would've known about the Wednesday night previews...

But the hardcore trekkies hate JJ's reboot...

Some of them, at least

Changing the release date was stupid. I never understand why studios do that a week or two before a movies release; especially when the tv spots and theater adverts still have the original date.

Because studios don't care if it makes 100 mill over 4 days like we do.  They don't care about records and such.  They care about making as much money as possible over the first few days and this extra 3.25 mill is money that they might not6 of had.  from Wed to Sun, they will make more than 100 mill, it just means they went a different way of getting it.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 5

Even if it’s only for one night, an adaptation of a 90-year-old novel toppled fanboy favorite Iron Man 3 as the #1 film in America Wednesday. Baz Lurhmann’s The Great Gatsby starring Leonardo DiCaprio became the top grossing film in North America with $3.9M from 3,535 theaters vs Iron Man’s $3.85M from 4,253 theaters, according to Warner Bros which co-financed with Village Roadshow and is distributing worldwide. Gatsby‘s 6-day cume is now $63.3M. “It’s a stunning box office upset for the ages,” one exec gushed to me this morning. On the other hand, Disney/Marvel’sIron Man 3 opened a week earlier in the U.S. and three weeks earlier overseas and should pass $1 billion in worldwide gross today and $300 million in North America. Its cumulative performance to date is international $691.9M and domestic $298.6M for a global total of $990.5M. Iron Man 3 is now the 2nd highest grossing superhero movie of all time, behind Marvel’s The Avengers and currently stands as the #11 highest grossing film of all time in the international marketplace. By country: China $102.4M, Korea $55.6M, United Kingdom $49.7M, Mexico $43.6M, Russia $40.2M, Brazil $39.0M, France $36.4M, Australia $33.7M, Japan $21.4M, Italy $19.8M, Taiwan $18.4M, Germany $18.4M, Indonesia $14.6M, Philippines $14.3M, Hong Kong $13.1M, other markets $171.4M.

‘Great Gatsby’ Upsets ‘Iron Man 3′ Box Office
  • Like 2