filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

I am thinking 36M or exactly 50% drop. Wouldn't sunday drop be better bcos of monday holiday for you canucks.

No way it drops only 50% against Star Trek, who will steal viewers (male and female) from Iron Man, and it dropped 58% against The Great Gatsby when that movie stole mostly only female audience. I see a big drop.

Edited by ChD

Compared to the previous Wednesday drop ad the fact that this is playing like a kids film that drop is great for IM3 at least IMO.

It's playing like a kids film only on weekends. On weekdays it plays like a flop.

• Like 3

IM3 basically lost its IMAX screens. I'm confused how it will reach 400M at this point. I'm doing numbers in my head and it's just not working out.

:thinking:

Edited by iTz ED
  • Like 1

No way it drops only 50% against Star Trek, who will steal viewers (male and female) from Iron Man, and it dropped 58% against The Great Gatsby when that movie stole mostly only female audience. I see a big drop.

Not a good comparison. Mega openers drop big in the 2nd weekend bcos of strong midnights(previews) and huge upfront rush. It does settle down after 2nd weekend. Its not hard to expect movies to drop better in 3rd weekend compared to 2nd weekend. Trek 2 will be big but market can handle multiple movies. Trek 2 aint breaking any record.

IM3 basically lost its IMAX screens. I'm confused how it will reach 400M at this point. I'm doing numbers in my head and it's just not working out. :thinking:

It has at least another 70m in weekends - no reason it won't at least get close enough to be fudged over ala Transformers 2

IM3 basically lost its IMAX screens. I'm confused how it will reach 400M at this point. I'm doing numbers in my head and it's just not working out.

:thinking:

I don't think losing those screens is enough to keep it from 400.

Isn't it better than last week? In that sense its solid. Plus bcos of you canucks tuesdays are inflated and wednesday drops are harsh. So relatively you can say its not bad.

Well, I guess its semantics at this point, but to me solid is good.  This is about as vanilla as it gets.  It had less of a bump yesterday than GG and fell harder today.  That's not really solid.  

Now it really doesn't matter.  400 is locked and it will make more than 1.1 bill, so its already done extremely well.  I just debate the solid tag, that's all.

I'd be really curious to see how Avengers would face up against Gatsby, Trek and Furious Six/Hangover III opening in quick succession. Probably a bit better than IM3 will/is, but no doubt legs would have been hurt. 

Also, WEAK previews/midnights for Star Trek. Awareness obviously wasn't there.