Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

What worries me the most is that I've yet to see a really glowing review for this. Dune had a bunch of those at this point, even with a somewhat mixed initial response 

Edited by Merkel
  • Like 1

Just now, Merkel said:

What worries me the most is that I've yet to see a really glowing review for this. Dune had a bunch of those at this point, even with a somewhat mixed initial response 

This is really what is missing, peaking with a few 4/5s at the start is not promising.

• Like 1

When exactly did Disney stop doing public test screening anyway? Was it around the the time TFA was coming out? I feel like that, along with the backlash against that one trailer for Terminator: Genisys, was the start of the Hollywood obsession with trying to avoid spoilers at all costs. 

• Astonished 1

😬😬yikes. This needs about 750m to break even. After crystal skull they didn't need this. Guess even mangold couldn't salvage this.

This reviews are awful .

Let's see what audience says but with this franchise audiences tend to collerate with critics . 

Crystal skull had the novelty factor of coming after last crusade and that helped it do well. 

Indy 5 is not so fortunate.

Knowing  how reactionary LCF is His dawn of the Jedi project looks in trouble for now. 

• Like 1

meh, always thought this was going to have pretty much the opposite journey as KOTCS.

That movie started out with glowing reviews and reception and then they got worse and worse. 

Which makes sense, it was starting from a position of strength and people wanted to like it, this is the exact opposite. 

But tbh, barring anything truly disastrous (which I'll grant is a  possibility) like WOM being bad because the action scenes are  terrible or folks not latching onto Indiana in this movie, I think it'll do just fine. 

Most of the criticism is based around it being too fanservicey and not taking enough risks which aren't exactly audience turnoffs for legacy sequels. 

:Edit: They also did themselves no favours releasing it at a film festival where movie reception (more than any other place) is determined by the general buzz around a project before it releases. 

If a movie is already highly anticipated, it will get a ton of love. And vice versa. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

I mean the concerning thing is that the actual content of the reviews makes it sound bad. It's not just bad reviews in the abstract impact on box office and legacy sense. Like, it actually sounds like a not very good movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

8 reviews is nowhere near anything resembling a consensus.

No, but they are 8 Top Critics from real publications, vs 8 people found on the internet.  A little more indicative of future critical thoughts, when none of 8 love it, and some really don't like it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noobmaster69 said:

INDIANA JONES has already open review, early 7 reviews(3 fresh, 4 rotten)on Tomatoes, the studio looks like suicide

Average based on early 10 reviews(2 positive, 8 mix)on metacritic only 51 🤯

Edited by noobmaster69

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c you have to deal with the limitations of an 80+ year old action star and the continuity of 4 previous movies...

There was never much need to worry about continuity in the first three movies. But you start bringing back characters like Marion, giving the hero a son, having marry, etc, then you're screwed

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

why is it so hard to make a good Indiana Jones film???

Because the kind of practical effects and creative blocking of action setpieces that made Indy so clever is pretty much donezo tbh.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

NOT JINXING but it is possible that FLASH just totally overwhelms this. 

Flash opens two weeks before. Won't matter to it. Also, It's clear WB didn't hear anything about Indy 5 being bad since they moved The Flash away from Indy