Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Presale presets at theaters should be very interesting to see over the next few days...will the debut reviews out of Cannes have an effect on how much theaters are now gonna block for this b/c it is blockbuster holdover packed going into this weekend, and there is another wide opener on the weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

The Hollywood Reporter sucks off every movie and hated this. Also, Empire only gave it four stars, which is like one star from anywhere else.

The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reviews are just full on plot summaries with two lines of review at the end. Mindboggling they pass this off as journalism.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Part of what dims the enjoyment of this concluding chapter is just how glaringly fake so much of it looks. Ford is digitally — and convincingly — de-aged in an opening sequence that finds him back among the Nazis at the end of World War II. Hitler has already fled to his bunker and Gestapo gold-diggers are preparing for defeat by loading up a plunder train full of priceless antiquities and various stolen loot.

Scurrying to save himself and rescue his professorial Brit pal Basil Shaw (Toby Jones), Indy ends up in a death match with a Third Reich heavy on top of the train as it speeds through a long mountain pass. But any adrenaline rush that extended set-piece might have generated is killed by the ugly distraction of some truly terrible CG backgrounds. The foundations of this series are in Spielberg’s overgrown-kid playfulness with practical effects. The more the films have come to rely on a digital paintbrush, the less hair-raising their adventures have become.

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Review: Harrison Ford Returns – The Hollywood Reporter

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hey I think animation can have a rebound.

I don’t know about that. Elemental honestly looks like almost like a parody of a what people think Pixar movies are like. It just looks like the kind of movie that would’ve worked a lot better if it were still 2007. 

• Like 8

Enough the comparisons with Dune. 77 with 13 reviews :

https://web.archive.org/web/20210903174209/https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dune-2020

50 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This seems like denial to me tbh 

hate this *******

test screenings for all of these movies were TERRIBLE.

And as for the usuals hating "anything mainstream", this can be easily debunked. Please bfr... Lying for what? those people have always praised mainstream movies LOL

Edited by Lighthouse
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Let this be a reminder of how special a director Spielberg was and you can't just replace him and expect the same magic to reoccur.

Even Spielberg couldn’t replace Spielberg going by the quality of crystal skull. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

So the green screen ugliness of the chase scene pervades the whole movie.

People think that shit doesn’t matter, but it does. The sense of place and tactility is a big reason the originals aged like fine wine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the thing about debuting at cannes is that you don't get the softball critics out early like most blockbusters so maybe this is as bad as it gets but idk.

sidenote: it really seemed to be a thing this year with this and elemental where people here were saying "it's premiering at cannes it must be good" when that's never been a mark of quality blockbusters or otherwise???

For animation it is. Kung Fu panda, Inside out, Up, HTTYD 2 and Shrek 2 all premiered there. All are classics

I would say "if this drives the final nail in the coffin of 'Studio is debuting FILM X at a festival, it MUST BE GOOD' discourse, then this is an overall net positive to the world of entertainment."

Sadly I know that no amount of films unexpectedly getting mixed reviews at high profile festivals will do that, so... 

===

Look, this got unexpectedly mixed reviews out of Cannes.  That's a fact.  Everything else though?  Including audience reception?  Still to be written.  As such, I'm sitting most of this out.

(also helps I am not particularly a big Indy fan so I can watch this unfold from the distance with more of a detached air)

Do have some observations about the difficulty of threading the needle when it comes to Nostalgic Properties, but I'll save that for another time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1