Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Mangold himself tweeted the other day that there’d be some sort of trailer within the next 30 days, so it’s pretty much a given they’ll have something attached to Avatar, and we all know that these image drops always precede an imminent trailer. I love how Randolph tweets that info as if she has some inside scoop on it though…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Mangold himself tweeted the other day that there’d be some sort of trailer within the next 30 days, so it’s pretty much a given they’ll have something attached to Avatar, and we all know that these image drops always precede an imminent trailer. I love how Randolph tweets that info as if she has some inside scoop on it though…

She drop too many true stories at this point to be a realiable source 

Every "scooper" have it's fails, but it's fine. 

And while he said 30 days, it could be anywhere from last week to Avatar release. She's giving a way more precise info, and tbh most of the Empire images don't translate to trailer.

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I know this is a promotional picture but it does nothing to inspire any hope that the cinematography will be anything but the low contrast, lazily lit digital cinematography that dogs modern cinema.

Oh I have no doubt it will look so much worse than the originals. Few movies LOOK good anymore.

• Like 2

"Empire can reveal that Indiana Jones 5 finds our hero in 1969, living against the backdrop of the space race – but the American effort to beat the Russians to the moon brings with it some uncomfortable truths for Indy. “The simple fact is that the moon-landing program was run by a bunch of ex-Nazis,” Indiana Jones 5 co-writer (and acclaimed British playwright) Jez Butterworth tells Empire. “How ‘ex’ they are is the question. And it gets up Indy’s nose…”  Pitching Indiana – a man always looking to the secrets of the Earth rather than the stars – into the era of the astronaut finds him even more a man out of time. “It’s not just that the model of what a hero is has completely changed,” says Butterworth. “It’s not just that they’re looking for something where there’s nothing up there – it’s like Reno without the gambling, or whatever his line is. But the people that are behind it are, you know, his sworn enemies.”

Enter Mads Mikkelsen’s villainous Voller... inspired partly by real-life Nazi-turned-NASA-engineer Wernher von Braun. “He’s a man who would like to correct some of the mistakes of the past,” teases Mikkelsen of Voller. “There is something that could make the world a much better place to live in. He would love to get his hands on it. Indiana Jones wants to get his hands on it as well. And so, we have a story.”

It’s a story that blends fact, fiction, fedoras and fascists – including a major action set-piece set at the Apollo 11 ticker tape parade in New York, thrown to celebrate the astronauts on 13 August 1969. The sequence not only sees Boyd Holbrook’s nefarious Klaber (“I’m a lapdog to Mads, and a crazy one at that,” the actor says) caught up in the middle of the historic celebration... but also provided the inspiration for Empire’s exclusive subscriber cover art, illustrated by Sam Hadley (and not based on an actual moment from the film)."

I'm assuming the rumored

Spoiler

time travel

is being saved for the movie itself and the space race stuff is somewhat of a front.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

I really want to get excited for this but my cynical brain keeps reminding me that Hollywood has perfected the art of ruining great classic stories/characters in service of greed.

I suppose its possible that an 80 year old Indiana Jones can be in a good movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I really want to get excited for this but my cynical brain keeps reminding me that Hollywood has perfected the art of ruining great classic stories/characters in service of greed.

I suppose its possible that an 80 year old Indiana Jones can be in a good movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

I generally agree, but I would say that if there's any hope in this case...it's Mangold, who really has become a pitch-perfect genre filmmaker.  We'll see...  (and of course I'll see Phoebe Waller-Bridge in anything...)

By the way...a reminder that Antonio Banderas is also in this movie (or at least he was)...notice how no mention is being made of him in any promo material so far... 

• Like 2