Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Matt Neglia says critics are being overly harsh on Indy 5, minutes later he gives the movie a 6/10 and says it’s not as good as the other Indiana Jones movies or Logan, but that it wasn’t a total train wreck. So… it sounds like even the positive camp is sugar coating this thing. I’m glad critics seem to be developing a backbone and aren’t rubber stamping these legacy sequels as easily anymore. 

On 5/19/2023 at 10:28 PM, grey ghost said:

I'm starting to think 90% of Indiana Jones appeal was being a sexy, young Harrison Ford that men wanted to be and women wanted to be with.

An Indy that's geriatric hits different.

That an CGI added to a period piece is so obvious and plastic it ruins the fantasy/immersion. 

Some franchises are just too dated to work in modern day. Look at Mary Poppins Returns. Hollywood doesn’t want to acknowledge this though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I wouldn't say the teasers, trailers, or clips have been horrible. I'd say they've been uninspiring. There's no sense of "this is it!" or "the conclusion we've been waiting for all these years" (not that we have), etc. It's been more "oh here's just another Indy movie that's pretty much a mish mash of others". And that isn't what people want. If they've wanted anything at all, they wanted a reason to believe this one would take things up several notches from the last one and really feel like a culminating finish.

Does that mean it should be rotten? Probably not, UNLESS the critics felt it had to have the above stated to be fresh.

Trailers gave me zero confidence that this movie will be much better than Uncharted, and Uncharted was a rotten movie. Uncharted had garbage VFX and it doesn't seem this new Indy has better VFX. Uncharted also was a meh movie that was saved from being complete trash by Tom Holland's performances. And unfortunately I have a hard time believing 80 year old Ford can be a better action star than Tom Holland.

Edited by scytheavatar

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

Trailers gave me zero confidence that this movie will be much better than Uncharted, and Uncharted was a rotten movie. Uncharted had garbage VFX and it doesn't seem this new Indy has better VFX. Uncharted also was a meh movie that was saved from being complete trash by Tom Holland's performances. And unfortunately I have a hard time believing 80 year old Ford can be a better action star than Tom Holland.

One small difference is no one cared about Tom Holland's character. This is Indiana Jones. So let us not compare those 2 movies. Even an under performing Indy would crush Uncharted. 

• Like 1

If we are being honest, there is one good solo Indiana Jones film, and that is Raiders. Temple of Doom was largely scene as downgrade, and Last Crusade is a team-up film with aging James Bond. Everyone knows that Crystal Skull nuked the fridge. 

44 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

One small difference is no one cared about Tom Holland's character. This is Indiana Jones. So let us not compare those 2 movies. Even an under performing Indy would crush Uncharted. 

Considering Indy 5's budget is like 2.5X that of Uncharted I am not sure underperforming Indy crushing Uncharted is something to be proud of....... the fact that Indy V looks indistinguishable from Uncharted with a WAY lower budget shows how much it sucked. 

• Like 1

You just have to wonder who pushed so hard for this if they didn’t know they had a killer script? I feel like it must have been Ford himself. He has always loved the character, to the point of even being weirdly possessive about it (saying no one else can play the character, etc). 

On 5/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

Says the guy that was comparing GotGV3 box office to The Suicide Squad and that is maybe the biggest Transformers apologist on this board. It won't win the summer... That's obvious now. But, sheesh, you sure run your mouth a lot for someone that's wrong by a lot very, very often.

The new Transformers may outgross Indy worldwide, and at least be a more memorable film.

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

If we are being honest, there is one good solo Indiana Jones film, and that is Raiders. Temple of Doom was largely scene as downgrade, and Last Crusade is a team-up film with aging James Bond. Everyone knows that Crystal Skull nuked the fridge. 

The trilogy are all solid to great movies. It's only crystal skull that's a dud and most likely Indy 5 but the jury is still out on that in regards to audience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, excel1 said:

Calling Indiana Jones sr. an "aging James Bond" is really strange. Have you watched the movie? He literally couldn't be more different than Bond.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

there are three great Indiana Jones films. 

Hi everyone, this will be my first comment on here but I’ve been quietly observing this site for at least 6 years(?!).

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to say since last year that Indy 5 is a bomb waiting to happen, and these mid to bad reviews are just helping me cement that theory. No one cares about this franchise anymore and it’s seriously giving me Solo and Mary Poppins Returns vibes with the level of confidence everyone has for this franchise.

Nostalgia can’t save this. If Crystal Skull didn’t exist then sure nostalgia would have been a huge factor but the franchise already milked the nostalgia aspect in 2008 and it left a bad taste in audiences and fans’ mouths, most won’t reminisce about another unwanted sequel, this ain’t Toy Story. On top of that the franchise remained dormant without any new mainstream developments/projects whether it be animation or video games to capture the newer generations interest within like the last decade. I think this will be battling with The Flash’s third weekend tbh. Look forward to discussing with y’all, or maybe not. 

• Like 1