Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

I am sure the discussion at Paramount over the next few weeks will be about whether the Transformers franchise is good for one more film at a smaller budget, or whether they should quite while they are ahead and not press their luck.

Was gonna see this but decided I couldn't, it's too personal an experience for me, can't squander it in an empty theater

Excited to see it on my couch in a couple months

PS @CoolioD1 you're such a fucking clownass hater, jesus

Like Harry Potter and Hunger Games Transformers is about doing the right thing even when the odds seem insurmountable.  I always get emotional in these films and I finally tried to analyze why I do.  It comes down to people being heroic.  Not super heroes, but real people.  Sam and Mikhaela in the first two, Lennox and Epps, even though they are military, they take a leap of faith in the original and side with Sam and demand to let Bumble Bee free.  In the fourth, Cade is another ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances and in the fifth, everyone tries to do the right thing...Lennox disobeys orders to do so, Cade stands by the Transformers even as they are hunted down, Izabella is an angry teen and she knows what the right course of action is and she takes it.  Transformers is about human heroism and human error and human beings trying to do the right thing.  It's one of the prevalent themes of the series and Bay is good at this.  He does it in Armageddon as well.  When faced with extra-ordinary odds, how do you react?  What do you do?  Do you cower and flee or do you face the music and selflessly do what is right?

That's what I love about this series.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Like Harry Potter and Hunger Games Transformers is about doing the right thing even when the odds seem insurmountable.  I always get emotional in these films and I finally tried to analyze why I do.  It comes down to people being heroic.  Not super heroes, but real people.  Sam and Mikhaela in the first two, Lennox and Epps, even though they are military, they take a leap of faith in the original and side with Sam and demand to let Bumble Bee free.  In the fourth, Cade is another ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances and in the fifth, everyone tries to do the right thing...Lennox disobeys orders to do so, Cade stands by the Transformers even as they are hunted down, Izabella is an angry teen and she knows what the right course of action is and she takes it.  Transformers is about human heroism and human error and human beings trying to do the right thing.  It's one of the prevalent themes of the series and Bay is good at this.  He does it in Armageddon as well.  When faced with extra-ordinary odds, how do you react?  What do you do?  Do you cower and flee or do you face the music and selflessly do what is right?

That's what I love about this series.

They're still paper thin characters though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

They're still paper thin characters though

Disagree.  Shai and Mikhala were really fleshed out...everyone in the original was well done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Disagree.  Shai and Mikhala were really fleshed out...everyone in the original was well done.

I'm watching DotM right now B. It doesn't quite have the impeccable construction and pacing of the first one but Bay is able to keep the same emotional core throughout. I like it better than I remembered

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm watching DotM right now B. It doesn't quite have the impeccable construction and pacing of the first one but Bay is able to keep the same emotional core throughout. I like it better than I remembered

Three is my second favourite.  I gave the first a 10, the third a 9.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I tend to agree with that ( although the first one is more like a 17000 out of ten but you know :P )

I'm with you.  The first is up there for me with films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and TDK and SW for best blockbuster ever made.

• Like 1

Wow, the first and third one is much better than I remembered. The action, pacing, and the human element actually meshes together well. Second and fourth is alright, but the fifth one is boring as hell.

Edited by Captain H

I kinda like the TF3-Avengers-Man of Steel (2011-2012-2013) trio in terms third act with big visual spectacle, each movie has great moments but Bay is just on another planet of excellence when it comes to this stuff.

• Like 1