Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

17 hours ago, The Futurist said:

During the Age of Extinction press tour, Bay told many times this :

" I write my own action"

Nobody commented the quote but it is probably one of the most important quote in modern cinema, at least for big VFX heavy tentpoles.

He should let somebody else write his own action.

The TF films are the first ones where I sat watching an amazing VFX sequence, and thinking "this is both amazing and incredibly boring at the same time." There's some very cools parts buried in the mess, but for me it's not enough. I have literally checked my watch while the main action sequences are going, and I'm just thinking "Please end soon. I don't care at all what happens to these characters."

• Like 1

I'm still excited to see this (probably tomorrow night). I've always liked these movies. Dark of the moon is still one of my favorite action films of this decade. Age of extinction is my least favorite of the series but it still wasn't bad. That one just felt too long and I'm happy to know that this one doesn't continue the trend of being longer than the previous film.

Latest from China is a 1650-1700m Yuan finish. That's 240-250m USD.

Now 700 is looking tough.

140 dom + 250 China = 390m from these 2 markets.

Needs 310m from OS-China which so far hasn't seemed likely. Could be O/U 675 WW?

• Like 2

Saw this last night. Went in with very open mind, despite the series history.

Grade: C-

Somewhere in there is a pretty decent movie. It's 20+min too long. The viewer is never really invested in the newest main characters, Izabella or Vivian let alone the junk yard assistant fellow. Hollow reasons are given as to why you might want to care about Izabella's situation but emotional attachment just doesn't happen cause we have to get off to the next 'splosion!

Unlike PotC:5 that allows for a wrap up scenario and give closure, TF5 doesn't do that as it clearly lays out where TF6 is meant to go and loosely what might happen.

My TF series ranking

TF-1

TF-3

TF-4

TF-5

TF-2

I may visit the Review thread and flesh out some thoughts more given time. 

• Like 2

Looks like this year 2 previously huge franchises might just be on their last legs. Pirates and Transformers. What a shame. Maybe they can crossover both those franchises and see if that helps revitalize either one. 

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Is TF6 going to happen at this point? I can see Paramount asking Bay step down. 

It will definitely happen. No studio will just let such a big money maker sleep forever. But TF5 is like giving the Tranformers franchise a Batman & Robin treatment, so they'll have to wait for a while.

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Is TF6 going to happen at this point? I can see Paramount asking Bay step down. 

They will probably reboot it. I mean why would they give up a franchise who's lowest grossing film is still $600M+ WW. Especially if they don't have many franchises like Disney has. 

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

Latest from China is a 1650-1700m Yuan finish. That's 240-250m USD.

Now 700 is looking tough.

140 dom + 250 China = 390m from these 2 markets.

Needs 310m from OS-China which so far hasn't seemed likely. Could be O/U 675 WW?

It does seems that Dom and China are heading to that direction, I'm not familiar with OS-C at all, but I wonder since it's dropping 50% everywhere, with worse exchange rates compared to 2014, I think we might be looking at 620-630 WW. That is significantly lower than even my lowest expectations...

• Like 1

Breaking News! 

T5 is made of the stronger stuff after all; based on matinee and evening ticket sales so far, it's projected to earn $42M domestically today, which is a 206% increase from yesterday's earning of $13,690,000. 

Source: Me

Edited by BluRayHiDef

2 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

Breaking News! 

T5 is made of the stronger stuff after all; based on matinee and evening ticket sales so far, it's projected to earn $42M domestically today, which is a 206% increase from yesterday's earning of $13,690,000. 

Source: Me