Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

If KONG making 168/566 on a 185m budget is considered a success financially, then TF5 is going to be fine too. Though Kong had a overall good critical reception too.

I think the Transformers movies can get away with 2 more "main" films and a few spinoffs... Maybe just the bumblebee film. Need to get other directors though.

Just now, Cookson said:

If KONG making 168/566 on a 185m budget is considered a success financially, then TF5 is going to be fine too. Though Kong had a overall good critical reception too.

I think the Transformers movies can get away with 2 more "main" films and a few spinoffs... Maybe just the bumblebee film. Need to get other directors though.

Kong is also the first film in a new franchise, whereas TF is now on the fifth film and is dropping like a rock compared to the previous two.

• Like 2

No one is claiming that Transformers will not make any money. It's going to make money but it's the last big money Transformers movie because it's all downhill from here. Especially if its legs are awful in China and it makes much less than what people are thinking. King Kong didn't do amazing but it's sequel could do better, Transformers sequel has no chance of doing better and in fact is guaranteed to do much worse

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

Just now, Noodlebug said:

Kong is also the first film in a new franchise, whereas TF is now on the fifth film and is dropping like a rock compared to the previous two.

Well, Kong is technically the second. Glad the MonsterVerse exists.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No one is claiming that Transformers will not make any money. It's going to make money but it's the last big money Transformers movie because it's all downhill from here. Especially if its legs are awful in China and it makes much less than what people are thinking. King Kong didn't do amazing but it's sequel could do better, Transformers sequel has no chance of doing better and in fact is guaranteed to do much worse

yeah and it still had a hell of a run over ten years

and the franchise isn't over. They'll just do a soft reboot

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Are Transformers fans arguing against Phantom comments? Who said it didn't have a lot of success as a franchise? Obviously financially the franchise was incredibly successful but I don't see what that has to do with where the franchise is right now. 

They basically did the same movie five times so I don't know about rebooting or anything like that. I mean Paramount never paid attention to the criticisms before so why would they start now? 

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Do you really believe that a REBOOT is the best idea? I mean, SERIOUSLY? People are tired of the franchise as a whole, not only the cast/direction, but the whole concept, a reboot sounds like the worst thing that they could do. 

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Are Transformers fans arguing against Phantom comments? Who said it didn't have a lot of success as a franchise? Obviously financially the franchise was incredibly successful but I don't see what that has to do with where the franchise is right now. 

They basically did the same movie five times so I don't know about rebooting or anything like that. I mean Paramount never paid attention to the criticisms before so why would they start now? 

Rebooting this franchise (at least for now), makes zero sense. Maybe in one decade when it will build enough nostalgia to make people forget about the past mistakes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No, it is not guaranteed to do much worse, if they change the director from Michael Bay to someone else and advertise that change. 

2 hours ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

They're still paper thin characters though

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Disagree.  Shai and Mikhala were really fleshed out...everyone in the original was well done.

Everyone in TF1, including the robots, were well characterized.  The problems with the portrayals came afterward and on two fronts. First, Bay sacrificed characterization for action.  Not a bad choice, per se, but there's only so much action he can offer before the general audience considers it repetitive, routine and droll.  Second, Hasbro sacrificed characterization for pushing product.  Even if you put aside how new robots were introduced in such a way that the audience is supposed to pretend that they were there all along, the only reason Ironhide and Ratchet were relegated to the backdrop in TF2 and then each killed off in TF3 and TF4 respectively was to make way for said new robots.  That kind of cynicism does little to encourage the audience to connect with the characters, let alone engage with a franchise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The shift from Sam to Cade is the soft reboot.  Next stop is a full reboot.  I have no idea how they would bring that about, but surely Paramount sees that they are past the point of diminishing returns and a major shake-up is necessary.  

Just saw the movie, and it already become my most favorite live action Transformers movie. I love many things about it, but I can understand why it's getting bad reviews (I mean, more bad reviews than other ones) & bad word of mouth. This movie has two major problems. First, it has the same problem as Batman v Superman - another movie I loved. That's the horrible editing. Scenes changed so fast, it seems like they cut so many scenes to fit the movie in 148 minutes. Second, the robots do have good amount of screentimes & lines, but only in normal situations. There are so few scenes of them in battle & they have shown almost everything in trailers. Action in this movie is the worst out of 5 movies. Worst actions (what make people watch Transformers movies) + confused plots are the causes of horrible word of mouth. As a fan of Bay he disappoints me with this one, but the new writers did a good job. I like the 2nd trilogy direction, it has a different feel compared to the 1st trilogy. They are putting more effort into expanding Transformers mythology. The reason for event happened in each movie at least feel deeper than just "Oh the Decepticons are planning to destroy Earth with some random ancient artifact, we human must stop them with the Autobots"

• Like 3