Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Not sure i like how many people seem to be predicting $200mil+ ow for the sequel in the weekend thread. Its like poeple are setting this up to fail or something.

I'm certain this film will behave more like a orig film, rather than a mega hyped fanboy sequel, like a SW or Comic book film.

I fell a very solid $150mil opening weekend, but crazy good 5-6x legs, for around a $750mil - 900mil total.

Internationally it could be anything. I feel $1bil in China alone is possible, assuming nothing dodgy goes on.

I was discussing this with a few of the guys on telegram, 200m definitely feels like a good target. Feels like Jurassic World in a sense, gigantic potential with a more general audience demographic, so I'd expect a more 200/800 run rather than going 250+ OW

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I was discussing this with a few of the guys on telegram, 200m definitely feels like a good target. Feels like Jurassic World in a sense, gigantic potential with a more general audience demographic, so I'd expect a more 200/800 run rather than going 250+ OW

I mean i'd love for it to hit 200mil, but i just feel this is more of a general audience film, rather that a 'must see opening weekend' fanboy driven film, if you get me.

Also its the time of the year when people know they are going to have loads of different days over the Christmas period where they can potentialy see the film.

I really feel this is more of a 'legs' film rather that a mega huge OW film. I mean assuming the film is good, the legs on this thing are going to be ridiculous i feel lol.

It would just be a shame if people start acting like its underperformed if it doesn hit 200mil OW, because its really not that type of fanboy driven film.

30 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I mean i'd love for it to hit 200mil, but i just feel this is more of a general audience film, rather that a 'must see opening weekend' fanboy driven film, if you get me.

Also its the time of the year when people know they are going to have loads of different days over the Christmas period where they can potentialy see the film.

I really feel this is more of a 'legs' film rather that a mega huge OW film. I mean assuming the film is good, the legs on this thing are going to be ridiculous i feel lol.

It would just be a shame if people start acting like its underperformed if it doesn hit 200mil OW, because its really not that type of fanboy driven film.

You seem to still be viewing things like we're in 2012 or something. $200m is really not that much these days and plenty of movies which are not fan driven can get close these days (The Lion King and Incredibles 2 being good examples).

Avatar's 2009 opening would prbably adjust to about $120 million today assuming it's relative 3d inflation is the same today as in 2009. Then you have to add in the fact that movies are more frontloaded today and Way of water is also a sequel. $200m is not a barometer for success I agree with you. But less than $150 million would be underwhelming. I don't expect Avatar to have better legs than Top Gun: Marverick, so if it opens to less than $150m, it will definitely earn less than the original imo.

Are there even any doubters left at this point?

This is the decade of Avatar, the new franchise for a new generation. You thought the word of mouth was strong in 2009? Well now we have social media, this thing is going to be out of god damn control, 1 billie 2 billie 3 billie 4

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I want to get Jake Sully shredded eating the jake sully shreddies

"This low gravity will make you soft, if you get soft Pandora will **** you out dead with zero warning". 

Eat your shreddies and pound that iron. 👍

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Oh how I hate 3D. I hope Avatar 2’s IMAX showings have some 2D.

25 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

They definitely will. 

10am and 12am.  Lots of choices, really!!!

Spoiler

I exaggerate.

Spoiler

But perhaps not by much if it really is a 3:1 3D:2D split. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

It doesnt really matter as he has already shot 2 and 3, most of 4, and according to Stephen Lang, he's even shot the finale of 5.

So he will def be director of 2, 3, and 4, and imo will end up fully directing 5.

He's only saying that he's not getting any younger, and something else COULD come along and get his interest, not that it will.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1