Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

one of the most unpredictable tentpoles ever. this could be the next KING KONG 2005 

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

BPWF going to utterly destroy this domestically no doubt 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

where did I say it would day kong 2005 numbers?

Kong was an insanely hyped mid December blockbuster that was supposed to challenge for #1 of year. It didn't come close. It was a borderline outright flop opening day/weekend and hit basic respectable status thanks to holiday legs. 

You are indirectly implying on box office board that Avatar 2 will be as big flop as King Kong 2005, if you think that will be the case then good luck, no need to keep this conversation up. 

• ...wtf 1

This is possibly the most 4 quadrant appealing film ever?

Jake and Neytiri = Wife and husband, mother and father

Their son and Kate Winslet's daughter = Teenage romance

Sigourney's character = Young Adult/Coming of age

Action, Fantasy (dragons, deities, etc.), Sci-Fi, Nature, Technology

There is something for everybody

3 hours isn't surprising when they're introducing this many character arcs

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Finally got to see the trailer. It’s visually stunning but I am leaning further towards what I said a few months ago that it’s going to be closer to $500M DOM than $1B DOM. 

As far as OS is concerned, I’m going with $1.2-1.5B OS-C-R. This won’t get a release in Russia and until China is confirmed it’s best to just assume it’s not happening. If it does, that’s another $650-900M (assuming no restrictions). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XXXVIIR said:

Finally got to see the trailer. It’s visually stunning but I am leaning further towards what I said a few months ago that it’s going to be closer to $500M DOM than $1B DOM. 

As far as OS is concerned, I’m going with $1.2-1.5B OS-C-R. This won’t get a release in Russia and until China is confirmed it’s best to just assume it’s not happening. If it does, that’s another $650-900M (assuming no restrictions). 

Adjusting your expectations for Avatar 2 based on a trailer of all things is a bold move, I'll give you that.

All that matters is the movie itself, and the overall experience of watching it at the cinema. No trailer, no matter how good, is ever going to come anywhere close to doing justice to the magic Cameron can create at the cinema.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Adjusting your expectations for Avatar 2 based on a trailer of all things is a bold move, I'll give you that.

All that matters is the movie itself, and the overall experience of watching it at the cinema. No trailer, no matter how good, is ever going to come anywhere close to doing justice to the magic Cameron can create at the cinema.

I wasn't really adjusting so much as just restating my general thoughts. The trailer didn't change my opinions in any tangible way. 

• Like 1

Been freeze framing the high quality trailer and man there are loads of things you miss watching the trailer at normal speed.

It seems  a lot of the himans are using  avatar's, which would make sense if they are coming back to fight for Pandora.

I'm sure there will be loads of Youtube vids doing the same but its worth looking yourself, spotted a lot of cool stuff.

4 hours ago, RichWS said:

Just got home from work and watched it. I'll always love Cameron but this looks like the exact same movie. What's the hook here? 

TLK 2019 was even more exact than this, almost close to frame by frame exactness. Disney also well known for their "copy paste" strategy for their live action remake trailers, but guess what? It sold billion.

• Like 1

Trailer was beautiful but why does it feel so much like the first movie. Both trailers have just been ehh it's beautiful alright and that's all. No significant hook.

Man Cameron sure loves his love story format,his been doing it since titanic.

Still like the first movie,human element is Abit weak and the story is quite simple but Navi culture and world were so well realized adding to that the visuals overcame that.

The movie may prove me wrong and be fantastic this December but think this should have been a one off. This should have been another original film from him.

Jim has been on this post titanic phase. Man 25yrs have gone on just this two films.  In this 13 year wait ,feel like we would have atleast  gotten two origin films from him. 

Miss pre -titanic Cameron.

From this trailer it looks on the surface like he doesn't have much  place where to take the story.  But let's see what the sequel brings .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elessar said:

Random thought: does Sigourney Weaver sound like a teenager to you? Maybe a chainsmoking teenager...

Perhaps it won't matter when you see the film?  What I mean is two things: One - wait until you see the full film and how it works to immerse you in someone's characterization through its running time.  It's up to the film and performances to convince you of that reality to believe in.  Two - Why should our pre-conceived notions of "what teenagers should sound like" apply here?  First of all, they're entirely new species different from humans.  Second, wait and see what the character's dilemma is (hinted at in the trailer, of course) and how it might inform who they are as a soul and being...and who they become.  

4 hours ago, Eric Carey said:

What Cameron wants, Cameron gets...but in this case, it's wonderful that he credits all the writers, yes!  But I can confirm for you firsthand that he is definitely involved in "writing" the sequels as they have been shooting.  On a secret weekend visit to the L.A. set a few years back, I was lucky enough to observe Cameron's on-set desk, as it was pointed out to me by my host.  I saw a handwritten dialogue excerpt sitting on a notepad -- it was nice to see that he still does certain things the old-fashioned way, by writing them down.  I can vaguely remember what the dialogue exchange was...and I will look out for it in the film -- though there's no telling if it was actually for Avatar #2! -- ...But even if I remembered the quote right, I couldn't/wouldn't tell you anything more about it, as I signed a you-know-what! 

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Jim has been on this post titanic phase. Man 25yrs have gone on just this two films.  In this 13 year wait ,feel like we would have atleast  gotten two origin films from him. 

Again...it's not like he wasn't doing other things with his life...underwater explorations...and this little thing called raising a family.  The man's allowed to do what the man wants, at this point.  No one *has* to make movies for a living.  I think Cameron's already given a lifetime's worth of genius filmmaking that dwarfs most peers -- anything we get from now on is a bonus.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Trailer was beautiful but why does it feel so much like the first movie. Both trailers have just been ehh it's beautiful alright and that's all. No significant hook.

Still like the first movie,human element is Abit weak and the story is quite simple but Navi culture and world were so well realized adding to that the visuals overcame that.

The movie may prove me wrong and be fantastic this December but think this should have been a one off. This should have been another original film from him.

From this trailer it looks on the surface like he doesn't have much  place where to take the story.  But let's see what the sequel brings .

It's not like he has done many movies after Titanic... Well, in fact, he actually directed just another movie, Avatar.

4 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Ego is ego, he didn´t make more films because after Titanic and Avatar breaking all time WW BO, he wants to do it in every next movie and probably knows this is almost impossible again, and he doesn´t want to end like Spielberg, making big fails BO in their last films.