Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

40 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Or in terms of the potential ”highest grossing films of all time”, a situation like 2019’s ”The Lion King”, kinda. I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♀️

That one’s at 52% on RT. Hopefully this film doesn’t go anywhere down to that film’s reception or so. That would be embarrasing. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Bloody hell. I’ve not thought about that film in years. A true piece of forgotten cinema.

1 minute ago, danziger said:

The big difference on MC is the lack of 100 scores. Avatar had 11 100s out of 38 reviews, TWOW only 3 from 41 reviews. Avatar had 3 below 60, TWOW 4.

could be a difference in how people score in 2022 vs 2009. For instance, if they all used to use a 4 star system, but now they use a 100 point system or 5 star system. Things like that.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

A film unapologetically made for global audiences should never be aiming for critic scores to begin with

Yeah coming from videogame forums where its actually frowned upon to put a lot of stock into critic scores, and to make up your own mind, it is a little weird to see how so many of us are salavating over these scores for A2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Yeah coming from videogame forums where its actually frowned upon to put a lot of stock into critic scores, and to make up your own mind, it is a little weird to see how so many of us are salavating over these scores for A2.

It’s a sport here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

solid reviews but that throws any Best Picture dreams out of the window. Also, I think Top Gun will be winning domestically. Avatar should win worldwide thanks to China

Without China, A2 International number is already enough I think. 

I was hoping for a more... unanimous consensus too but it does sound like it still delivers the goods if you're on board, which should be enough to keep the big bucks moving in.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope for a more original hook to the franchise at some point though. Not sure how long it can keep going with its visuals as the main selling point, especially with so many scheduled to release soon.

• Like 2