Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Avatar is no Terminator (plus the first Terminator was very small).

If Avatar 2 can't make 2016 or 2017 it'll be in trouble for the pure fact the last was so far away.

In terms of box office. First trailer comes in it will transport people to Pandora. Not 2017? The 2016 is still in play and now saying to 2017, over exaggerate much.

I think you're choosing to interpret my comments about Trumbull's comments in a weirdly literal way. I didn't say it *is* 3D, I said the effect is similar. (Not to mention, 3D isn't 3D either, it's manipulating 2D images to create the illusion of depth.)

Well, "similar" to me sounds like the effect is pretty close to "actual" 3D. Maybe you didn't mean that. Sorry about that.

For the human brains movie 3D is pretty much real 3D - one image per eye, slightly offset. That's how real 3D works. We are not so much manipulating 2D images, at least not when shooting native 3D, the stereo cameras are our eyes. RealD, IMAX 3D and what have you are then techniques used to feed those images to our eyes.

Edited by Elessar

I remember BKB debating on-and-on with Kal about how Avatar has disappeared from pop-culture.

Well there are now articles written about just that.

Five Years Ago, 'Avatar' Grossed $2.7 Billion But Left No Pop Culture Footprint

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

Back to Pandora: Why Has ‘Avatar’ Been Forgotten Just Five Years After Its Release?

http://screencrush.com/back-to-pandora-why-is-avatar-forgotten/

• Like 5

I remember BKB debating on-and-on with Kal about how Avatar has disappeared from pop-culture.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

Back to Pandora: Why Has ‘Avatar’ Been Forgotten Just Five Years After Its Release?

Nothing new. Articles like that used to happen on Titanic. Now the target is Avatar, and soon to be A2, A3...

• Like 1

Well there are now articles written about just that.Five Years Ago, 'Avatar' Grossed $2.7 Billion But Left No Pop Culture Footprint

Cameron just rubs people the wrong way I guess even I must admit I understand what these articles and some people on here are saying about Avatar being forgotten, it may be true, who knows ? But is that really surprising ? Do people want or fantasize to be navi s ? I guess not. And the bad guys in the movie was basically the whole human race which was described as scavengers or cockroaches who destroyed their own planet and were ready to do the same on Pandora. Is that surprising that a movie who s main idea is ecological guilt is being put under the rug in most people s minds ? I think not.

I guess we ll have to wait for the release of the second film to have answers.

I still think Avatar is a magnificent film and the message will never stop being true, we are digging our own grave, that s just a scientific hard cold fact that people still won t care about until the world turns all Mad Max on us which it will eventually, there will be a tipping point.

Infinite growth in a finite world ? There s only one category of loonies who actually believe that, it s called economists, there are not even scientists but it is their thinking that is currently ruling our world. The downfall will be even more painful, the more we think growth, growth, growth ...

Avatar was never a fantasy film, it was about how humanity has been conducting itself since it became sentient, conquering and pillaging the ressources of our planet, no more no less. It started with the next door village with primitive humans and now it has taken a more " civilized" form with entities called corporations ( or states) who are using laws tailor made for them to control what s under our feet.

So yeah, Avatar didn't left a footprint in pop culture for sure but the ecological footpring of humanity on planet Earth will betray us in the end without warning.

FYI, Cameron is a self proclaimed doomer and agrees with everything I just said. He also believes that humanity as a whole is a bunch of idiots, at best.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

This is why articles like this are the epitome of trash writing.

‘Avatar’ didn’t inspire a legion of would-be ‘Avatar’ rip-offs, save perhaps for Walt Disney’s disastrous ‘John Carter.’

Edited by Neo

Well, seeing how the films are being filmed back-to-back there is no way in hell it makes a Dec. 2016 release schedule. The scripts aren't even finished, and it seems WETA still has a lot of shit to work out VFX wise. Filming for all three films should take around 9-months or so would be my guess. Then, there is post-production. 2017 is the earliest this can make it. No sooner.

Anyway, I don't think Avatar is forgotten. It's just not relevant. Other franchises have a lot more going for them. Avatar is one film and that's pretty much it. Titanic hasn't been forgotten for that matter.

• Like 1

Could the reason why Avatar is not in the mainstream because there are no 2 movies a year of it. I guarantee you if Marvel would make a movie every 8 years it wouldn't be as relevant as its today and what is said about Avatar would be said about Marvel. Give it 8 months post release and the hype train will be in full gear.

Nothing new. Articles like that used to happen on Titanic. Now the target is Avatar, and soon to be A2, A3...

Amen . And silly propaganda won't stop everyone who loves cameron films from making Juggernaut 2 from making history again either Edited by Superman001

I really love the first movie, the whole avatar world, characters and it's message. Maybe it doesn't have the same status as Titanic but I'm still excited to follow the story in any sequels. If they can show more of Earth or other new things in the Avatar universe I think it could be an epic set of movies that could be more in the vein of star wars or the marvel universe. That's what separates it from a singular movie like Titanic. The possibilities with Avatar are endless when you use your imagination.

Just as a side note, I thought Jeremy Piven would have been great in Giovanni Ribisi's role.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the first film's themes and groundbreaking usage of technology.  However, if the second film is just a revised and edited version of the first film with a different landscape and environment, I'm going to be immensely disappointed.  I understand that everyone just LOVES to be different in any shape or form, be it hating on a majorly popular film (eg. Frozen and Avatar) or hating on a singer and I'm sure the second installment will have haters but as Miranda always says, "Haters back off!"

Putting aside the jest, this movie, I'm certain will be huge both domestically and WW!  If the first film broke box office records, it is spine tingling to think about the possibilities for the second film's box office run!  This movie will certainly be fun to not only watch as a film but also fun to watch its box office run!

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

Part of the problem is Avatar isn't quotable. That sounds like a trivial reason, but a few memorable lines go along way to cementing a film's place in pop culture.

That said, I think articles dimissing its impact are exaggerated, as the OW of the next movie will prove.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

Part of the problem is Avatar isn't quotable. That sounds like a trivial reason, but a few memorable lines go along way to cementing a film's place in pop culture.

That said, I think articles dimissing its impact are exaggerated, as the OW of the next movie will prove.

People just don't appreciate Stephen Lang. Everything he said is quotable.

• Like 4

This is why articles like this are the epitome of trash writing.

Those articles are not wrong. Neither writer says Avatar is a bad movie, in fact they praise it. They're just pointing out the fact that, aside from afflicting us with every blockbuster (or wannabe blockbuster) being in 3D now, Avatar had next to zero effect on pop culture. All of the previous domestic champs either sold tons of merchandise or influenced the real world and countless other movies (or both, in the case of SW). Avatar did neither. It was just a good film in the right place at the right time. Even Titanic, which didn't really influence many other films (aside from Pearl Harbor), can be credited with Leomania and a resurgence of interest in both the ship and deep sea exploration in general. One thing is certain, the sequels will either push Avatar to a new level or just confirm that it was nothing more than a footnote - one of the last few original blockbusters before franchising took over completely.

Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 2