Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I'm pretty sure he will dissassemble that Venice camera piece by piece then rebuilt it to suit his needs and custom it to fulfill what is on his mind, then say to Sony "Now it works."

Cameron must be one of the few directors that can actually explain every single components purpose inside a camera.

I like that one:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Cameron must be one of the few directors that can actually explain every single components purpose inside a camera.

There's a quote, I think by Sigourney, where she says something like "Jim can do everything on the set of a movie as well as or better than everyone but the actors, if he learns how to do that we're out of a job." 

When you read the stories of him BTS you really start to appreciate what a genius the man is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Interesting 

If I have to recommend a deep sea documentary I will choose the ones from BBC, such as Blue Planet II from last year. I've watched all of his deep sea documentaries and frankly they tasted rather pale comparing to the BBC ones. I appreciate his passion and it's always amazing to see a guy fullfilling his own passion (which is something most of we normal person don't/won't/coudn't do), but when it comes to the documentary itself, the BBC ones are just a lot more "entertaining and educational". But then again BBC is the king in this field, so it's not exactly surprising.

Edited by vc2002
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

If I have to recommend a deep sea documentary I will choose the ones from BBC, such as Blue Planet II from last year. I've watched all of his deep sea documentaries and frankly they tasted rather pale comparing to the BBC ones. I appreciate his passion and it's always amazing to see a guy fullfilling his own passion (which is something most of we normal person don't/won't/coudn't do), but when it comes to the documentary itself, the BBC ones are just a lot more "entertaining and educational". But then again BBC is the king in this field, so it's not exactly surprising.

Just to add to that, Jim is an ant in comparison to David Attenborough's narration

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Just to add to that, Jim is an ant in comparison to David Attenborough's narration

Oh that's a no brainer. But then David Attenborough dwarfs everyone else when it comes to narrating nature documentaries.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Always bugged me that they got Sigourney Weaver to replace DA in the US Planet Earth docs. 

I think a lot of the BBC documentaries were introduced to the US with a big name actor/actress being the narrator. It helps getting the awareness, but the down side is of cause that the audience getting a 1-hour of emotionless reading.

• Sad 1

Sigourney Weaver's a great narrator. Y'all be tripping.

At the risk of starting shit, I'm getting pretty hyped for this. After recent events I'm more anxious for that other thing to be over with and for this to become the cinematic event of the year again.

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Another interesting question - has any director outside of JC achieved as much outside of film as he has? 

George Lucas sold a lot of toys that made him the wealthiest director ever.

Brian May is the closest I know to James Cameron.

He is the guitarist of Queen, one of the most iconic rock band ever.

Amazing guitar player with a unique style and sound, writer, composer, producer, singer etc

AND

he is a legit reknown astro-phycisist, a true scientist.

Very rare to excel that much in art and science on this level of excellence & expertise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Brian May is the closest I know to James Cameron.

He is the guitarist of Queen, one of the most iconic rock band ever.

Amazing guitar player with a unique style and sound, writer, composer, producer, singer etc

AND

he is a legit reknown astro-phycisist, a true scientist.

Very rare to excel that much in art and science on this level of excellence & expertise.

This is actually a great example, I wonder if there are any reverse examples e.g. great scientists who were also great artists. Of course there is da Vinci...

• Like 1