baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

if you really want to summon him you should start with the tdkr comparisons.

Even better I tried with TDK comparisons. Made a whole tread just to serve as a battleground for BKB and the Squaremaster to square  ( ^_^ ) off on. It didn't work. They didn't take the bait. The Square is AWOL and BKB is more interested in wrestling it seems.

In that flashback scene where Cap is his former skinny self, was that CGI or did Chris Evans really lose the weight again for that one scene?

He never lost that much weight in the first place. It was all CGI in both movies.

• Like 1

He never lost that much weight in the first place. It was all CGI in both movies.

Sorta, they found a way to put Chris Evans' face on a skinny body but neither Chris Evans' face or the skinny body are CG.

They did it with computers though, it is like  highly complex compositing.

• Like 1

Sorta, they found a way to put Chris Evans' face on a skinny body but neither Chris Evans' face or the skinny body are CG.They did it with computers though, it is like  highly complex compositing.

Technically, his overall body (Including face) was generated on a computer, even though it just pastes two images together. That's why I called it CGI, at least.

In that flashback scene where Cap is his former skinny self, was that CGI or did Chris Evans really lose the weight again for that one scene?

Explained in detail here if you are interested

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/case-study-how-to-make-a-captain-america-wimp/

Since nearly inventing the category, the go-to facility for digital makeup in Hollywood is Lola VFX in Santa Monica...Lola had three primary approaches to shrinking the 220 pound Evans to the 140 pound guy he needed to be, while maintaining Evans’ performance as closely as possible.

1. Body double / actor doubling for the entire body. The body double was English Shakespearean trained stage actor Leander Deeny (who even dieted for the role).

2. Digital head replacement / face projection – similar to the technique Lola used in The Social Network, where the actor is filmed with multiple cameras and this digital file is object tracked onto a body double’s (Deeny) body. For example, when Rogers was at the recruitment center – standing semi-naked in the queue, about to be rejected near the start of the film. This was only used in about 5% of Lola’s shots.

3. Shrink and scale the actor in the principal photography (no greenscreen) – a 2D scale of the actor Chris Evans. This was used in the majority – about 85% of Lola’s effects shots.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Great: Easter eggs, mid-credits, Winter SoldierGood: Story, Falcon, Hail HydraBad: Shaky fight scenes, not enough Winter Soldier8/10

Overall, it's a very entertaining film. Not only it's the best Marvel Phase 2 film, but also the best Marvel solo film.

Alright, the family and I caught this yesterday night. My second viewing. Beside myself, all of 'em had yet to see it. Everyone seemed to enjoy it immensely. And, while I still prefer The First Avenger, my grade's gone up from a B- to a solid B. It's certainly well-crafted and fun. Hoping the Russo Bros. deliver something even more impressive with Caps 3.

What's the deal with the comparisons to TDK?

Just because they're both comic material does not really make them ripe for comparison.  They are completely different in what they are, and what they set  out to  do.  Nolan fanboys get so damn defensive with this shit.  All I'm going to say it TDK is not near as deep and philosophical as the fanboys would have you believe.  Of course, that's par for the course.

As for TWS, I thought it was a damn good action film that delivered spectacle along with a good story.  Sure, it doesn't always make sense, but it's comical how users here tend to nitpick some films and let others get away with murder based on their inherent biases.

Carry on.

IMO.

• Like 5

One of the better Marvel movies which doesn't says a lot. Still it was enjoyable and probably because i expected it to be horrible. The story for most of the part was boring and predictable - you knew Robert Redford was the bad guy, that Fury was not dead and who the Winter Soldier was . This was the first time that Black Widow actually looked cool - in Avengers it was just funny watching her with two small pistols near the Hulk and Thor.

6.5/10

INCREDIBLE film!

Wow, did this ever surpass my expectations!

Hands down the BEST Marvel film since Iron Man!

A VERY well crafted script and plot. There were lots of clever and sophisticated twists and turns in the plot. The acting was very solid from the main cast as well as the background characters.

The implications of key points in the plot were huge. This film subtly showed a huge amount of depth to it, and gave you a lot to think about, very rare for a Marvel film.

The cinematography was excellent, especially in the action sequences.

The action was very solid, and there were no real weak spots in the visual effects. The film did not rely on visual effects as a crutch. The acting, the script, and the story all drove the film, and the visuals simply supplemented that, as they should.

It also felt REALLY GOOD to watch a Marvel film that didn't have sarcastic remarks or wise-crack one liners every five minutes. A big issue I've had with several Marvel films over the years, but this film avoided that. Yes the movie had comedy, but the comedy came at the APPROPRIATE times and points in the film.

The score was also solid and did not detract from the film at all.

Overall I CANNOT WAIT for Captain America 3! This was easily better than Thor 2, which I enjoyed.

This gets a very well deserved A from me. One of the best films of the year.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 2